Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• They call me the Mayor...

Re: Are Utilidors Being Built Beneath the Disneyland Resort?

It is actually for the underground peoplemover system that is going to revolutionize guest/cast member transportation around the DLR
    Pour still another glass,
    In Pinacoladaberg.
    Coconut milk with a pineapple splash.
    Don’t forget that the Rum comes third!

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Does anyone still watch that show?
    Is it still on the air?

That being said, the reference is to season 2. December 16, 1998.

1. Collect Underpants
    2. ?
    3. Profit
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I remember when the underground tunnel below Tomorrowland was part of the queue for Rocket Rods.

Several corrections to the above:

1. There is a tunnel under the East (Harbor) entrance to the transportation center where all the hotel shuttles and Toy Story Lot Buses load/unload. It's a vehicle tunnel that is a contiguous backstage route from Harbor Point South to behind Hyperion Theater. One of the uses is for the DCA employee shuttle from Harbor Point all the way around to behind Paradise Pier, as well as service vehicles. So a vehicle can travel from behind Coke Corner/Jolly Holiday all the way around Disneyland behind Toon Town, between iasw and the Roundhouse, all the way South parallel to Harbor Blvd., around DCA to Grand Californian, all while remaining inside the security fence "backstage".

2. The New Orleans Basement contains the first POTC show building under the building closest to Jungle Cruise and the NO Main Kitchen under the rest of NO Square including the streets, the other two buildings (Cafe Orleans and French Mkt) and at least part of the outdoor dining area of French Mkt (connecting to the pop-up bandstand, similar to Tomorrowland Terrace). The Westside Diner (formerly The Pit Stop and the DEC) was relocated out in back of NO when they expanded the NO Main Kitchen. The kitchen serves Blue Bayou, Club 33, Cafe Orleans, French Mkt, as well as Verandah and Julip Bar via stairways, elevators, and dumbwaiters. Additional support is in a new building adjoining the main service entrance inside the train tracks--just before you see the Mardi Gras decorations on the deck from the train before you go through the little tunnel.

3. Much of the old DCA service road from ToT to the old First Aid station, now just babycare, in Pacific Wharf has been obliterated and was not replaced with a tunnel. Instead, First Aid was relocated to behind the East Side of Buena Vista Street, adjoining the Chamber of Commerce so there is access for EMT vehicles.

4. The MK Utilidors and NO Square represent the pinnacle of this type of engineering for Disney. Every major project, such as the grand Thunder Mesa for MK or the blue sky Indy at Disneyland which would have had two rides plus overlooks inside by the train and Jungle Cruise, has gotten quashed. Disney will probably never build anything as elaborate as NO Square. Any more tunnels or subterranean access will be more limited, like the FutureWorld tunnel.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I remember when the underground tunnel below Tomorrowland was part of the queue for Rocket Rods.
    me too. we used to enter where buzz is at the moment. underground is so fascinating stuff lol.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    More than likely they ran some extra circuits through from the Tomorrowland Main Power Room (which is underneath the south side of the old Peoplemover/Rocket Jets platform in a huge Manhole) to the Astro-Orbitor equipment room, and put a "Stunt Box" down there just for those temporary hook-ups.

A "Stunt Box" or "Company Switch" is simple - a permanent big safety switch or circuit breaker (200A - 400A - 800A) connected to an double-door enclosure with a set of landing-lug connectors and/or "Camlock" stage cable quick-connects inside. They land the temporary wiring headed to the stage or lighting equipment on the lugs, route the wires through a little hatch, and close the cover. Once they have the portable gear connected to the other end of the cables, they can turn it on safely.

They come in many different sizes and styles - 120/240V 1-Phase or 3-Phase, 120/208V 3-Phase, 277/480V 3-Phase. The important part is that the box doesn't care what you hook to it, it's just Raw Power to tap on and use as needed.

There is another big underground Power/Lighting/Sound vault under the north side of the Hub, to the east of the north center entry path. Look for the round flip-open access hatch and Air Conditioning Condensing Unit hiding in the bushes - Once seen, you'll never forget where it is.

Look closely in the bushes and planters all around the castle, you'll see big 4" and 6" PVC Pipe caps on plastic conduits stubbed up in the lawn and hiding behind the walls, sometimes hidden under a fake rock. Some of those conduits go back to the power room, others loop under the paths and between the planters so they can run lighting and control cables in them - without having to cross the paths with those big black & yellow safety trays that can get tripped over.

This is how they can make all the stage and lighting & sound gear for Grad Nites and New Years Eve and other special events pop up overnight and look "built in" - because they pretty much are. Just place the temporary truss towers with all the lights and speakers, thread the cables through the conduits, and hook them up to the pre-installed gear down in the vault. Bada-Boom! Party down.

--<< Bruce >>--
    I know that the twinkle lights must use a step-down transformer to power the twinkle lights which run on 12 volts, (I have the same bulbs (258 flashers) and hand-made my own E-10 stringers for my front yard), and I figure that the transformers (I use LED drivers but they may use something different) are hidden underneath the fake rocks.

In terms of them building tunnels underneath Disneyland, I think the costs outweigh the benefits. If they do, It would be a really stupid decision.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    me too. we used to enter where buzz is at the moment. underground is so fascinating stuff lol.
    Where exactly did that tunnel run from, and to? Where did you enter and exit the tunnel? Can you still see it? I left the park in '94 and didn't return as a guest until after that ride had shut down, so never saw it.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They went from the Basement level of the CircleVision theatre to the basement level under the Rocket Jets platform, then put the queue in Circlevision with modified films projected as you worked the line. Then you went down and under the walkway to the base of the tower, and up a few flights of stairs to Load.

I think most of it was already there, but they had to modify it to open it to the public as part of the queue. Add the staircase and the passenger elevator for the HC access.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Stage one build million dollar tunnels....
    Stage two....
    Stage 3 Profit
    Can I upvote this?

but seriously I don't think utilidors should happen in areas that are already developed without them. That's gotta be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    They went from the Basement level of the CircleVision theatre to the basement level under the Rocket Jets platform, then put the queue in Circlevision with modified films projected as you worked the line. Then you went down and under the walkway to the base of the tower, and up a few flights of stairs to Load.

I think most of it was already there, but they had to modify it to open it to the public as part of the queue. Add the staircase and the passenger elevator for the HC access.

--<< Bruce >>--
    The tunnel from Circlevision to the Rocket Rod platform was built specifically for that attraction and was in no way connected to the existing Tomorrowland tunnels.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Where exactly did that tunnel run from, and to? Where did you enter and exit the tunnel? Can you still see it? I left the park in '94 and didn't return as a guest until after that ride had shut down, so never saw it.

bruce bergman pretty much covers it all. thats what it was before buzz.

• Artistic integrity

Pardon me ... as I'd like to take away the ambiguity (the way the TL tunnel is being described) .. and make it clearer .....

For the 1967 Tomorrowland ........... Just to the left of the entry doors into the main Circle-Vision auditorium was ATT&T's office and lounge. From there ... you took a staircase down .. and followed a fairly straight line ... and came to Coca-Cola Tomorrowland Terrace's Storage, and bandstage lift. From there ... you continued on .. down a more narrow path ...

.....to the north edge of Carousel of Progress' basement. Keep following through .. and eventually come to the backside of the Skyway .... and out you came. Either via a staircase, or service elevator. Great for AT&T employees to make a quick exit out of DL. And for bands to come in and out. And of course, other personnel............

And to more precisely gain it's position ... this blueprint shows exactly where it's laid out -

And though you cannot see where the tunnel path is exactly .. you can get an idea of the depth (below ground) by comparing the guys on the ground level ... to the concrete walls .. in these two 1966 construction photos of Coke Terrace:

http://davelandweb.com/tomorrowland/...ev_NewT_NX.jpg

http://davelandweb.com/tomorrowland/...26_Dev_NFF.jpg

^^^^ I love those photos ... You see exactly how much of the 1955 structures stay in place ... and receive new "1967 skins" and additions on to those existing structures.

So, this tunnel and that underground for Coke Terrace is in no way, shape, or form ... hooked up to the tunnel for Rocket Rods, which was built in 1996/97 ... and served for Rocket Rods short life span ... from May '98 to August '00.

And from what other posters say .... Buzz Lightyear's construction in 2003/2004 ... still kept a relative distance from that tunnel .. which is still there. Albeit ... collecting dust.

And as for the entry into the tunnel today - That would be possible - Via ... where it says - "MAINT" .... in the top corner at Buzz Lightyear's load area:

Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-04-2013 at 08:50 PM.

• Goofy

awesome.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Pardon me ... as I'd like to take away the ambiguity (the way the TL tunnel is being described) .. and make it clearer .....

For the 1967 Tomorrowland ........... Just to the left of the entry doors into the main Circle-Vision auditorium was ATT&T's office and lounge. From there ... you took a staircase down .. and followed a fairly straight line ... and came to Coca-Cola Tomorrowland Terrace's Storage, and bandstage lift. From there ... you continued on .. down a more narrow path ...

.....to the north edge of Carousel of Progress' basement. Keep following through .. and eventually come to the backside of the Skyway .... and out you came. Either via a staircase, or service elevator. Great for AT&T employees to make a quick exit out of DL. And for bands to come in and out. And of course, other personnel............

And to more precisely gain it's position ... this blueprint shows exactly where it's laid out -

And though you cannot see where the tunnel path is exactly .. you can get an idea of the depth (below ground) by comparing the guys on the ground level ... to the concrete walls .. in these two 1966 construction photos of Coke Terrace:

http://davelandweb.com/tomorrowland/...ev_NewT_NX.jpg

http://davelandweb.com/tomorrowland/...26_Dev_NFF.jpg

^^^^ I love those photos ... You see exactly how much of the 1955 structures stay in place ... and receive new "1967 skins" and additions on to those existing structures.

So, this tunnel and that underground for Coke Terrace is in no way, shape, or form ... hooked up to the tunnel for Rocket Rods, which was built in 1996/97 ... and served for Rocket Rods short life span ... from May '98 to August '00.

And from what other posters say .... Buzz Lightyear's construction in 2003/2004 ... still kept a relative distance from that tunnel .. which is still there. Albeit ... collecting dust.

And as for the entry into the tunnel today - That would be possible - Via ... where it says - "MAINT" .... in the top corner at Buzz Lightyear's load area:

The stairs in that Buzz Lightyear "Maint" room must still be there, as that's undoubtedly how Ariel got to her Grotto, and now Tinkerbell & the other Fairies get to and from their Meet & Greet area unseen.

Looks like you can also get into that tunnel from TLT - On the "DL-75" blueprint, just north of the Kitchen is the Universal X Symbol of an Elevator, a small one judging from the offset door opening with a "Two-Speed" (double-slide) door most likely. And to the left of that is the symbol for a flight of stairs...

Now it's unclear whether that stairwell is the emergency exit stairs from the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track down to ground level, Kitchen access from Ground Level down to the Basement - Or both, and there's a door from outside and into the Kitchen to that landing. Get me some more detailed blueprints than this "Plot Plan" page, and I can tell you.

You could still see down into the Rocket Rods Queue tunnel from a railing and stairwell (blocked with temporary barricade) at the back of the Store Command - unless they've totally walled it off recently.

And I wouldn't be too sure the Queue part isn't connected to the TLT basement areas, I recall some locked doorways along that portion of the queue - but I've been wrong before.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast