Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    386

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Personally, I would much rather just be happy that he asked me at all rather than worry about the fact that it might not have happened at Disneyland. Like others have said, you can plan the wedding.

    I know for a fact that if my wedding isn't actually at Disneyland my honeymoon will be.
    the cost of a wedding AT disneyland is just too much for most people to spend. however my honeymoon will be there

  2. #17

    • The doctor is in
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,313

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    the cost of a wedding AT disneyland is just too much for most people to spend. however my honeymoon will be there
    Yeah. I would much rather save the money and then go all out for a honeymoon there and stay at the Grand Californian or something.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.













  3. #18

    • Disneyland History Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chula Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    This is an interesting topic. On one hand, it would be like you say... a dream to get proposed to at Disneyland. However, it's one of those things that you can't really ask for. I suppose if you made it known to your significant other at that point (in a small way), that it would plant the seed for a future proposal. I'm more of the mind of wanting it to be spontaneous. If I told my boyfriend of two years that I wanted to be proposed to at Disneyland, I'd wonder each time we went if that would be the time. And if it wasn't, well then, more waiting. I also think it's nice for the proposal to take place somewhere that is meaningful to both parties. Each relationship has places that are especially appreciated within that relationshp. I know we have a few, and I would be perfectly happy with it happening that way.

  4. #19

    • Long live the Fire Lord
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    288

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    I knew a girl that not only asked her man for it, she pretty much planned the entire thing. (Which seems crazy to me, but . . . ) She got her dream proposal, by the wishing well. Brought her family & a photographer with her. All they guy had to do was show up.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

  5. #20

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,302

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    I knew a girl that not only asked her man for it, she pretty much planned the entire thing. (Which seems crazy to me, but . . . )
    I have a friend whose girlfriend did the same thing. He didn't go through with the wedding, and said he should have seen it coming with what he now calls "all the proposal nonsense." He's now happily married for about 12 years or so, and she married someone else and got divorced. In my opinion, once you are ready for marriage, the proposal won't matter that much, and if the proposal is in any way a disappointment to you, you might not be ready for marriage.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

  6. #21

    • Junior Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    419

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    Just wondering, no right or wrong answers here obviously,

    My dream, like many people on this site, is to be proposed to in front of sleeping beauty's castle someday in Disneyland. It would just be so magical and wonderful that I would cry of happiness and it would be perfect.

    Now-
    It's not like I would say no if it were the right person, proposing anywhere else in the world

    Would I be disappointed if the proposal didn't take place in Disneyland? Well, admittedly, yes :/
    I hate to be one of "those" women, and I wish I could say "it doesn't matter where you propose, the person is what matters."
    And while that is definitely true, it's also nice to have your dream come true if it's possible

    So what do you do to make this happen without seeming like a materialistic... well, you know. ?
    Do you tell the person in advance that if they propose, that's how you want it to be? Too mandating?
    Do you expect them to figure it out for themselves? This seems unreasonable because people aren't mind readers.
    Do you hint at the idea when you're at Disneyland?

    What is the right way to do this, in your opinion, without seeming incredibly shallow, but being able to have some magic at your proposal?

    p.s: not getting married anytime soon, I'm only 20. Another five, ten years and I'll probably be thinking more about this.
    IMHO the best way to assure you are proposed to at DL is to find the right man who cares about you and knows you well enough to know just how important DL is to you.

    My daughter's dream since she 3 years old was to get engaged at DL. We live 2000 miles from DL. She found the right man and he proposed to her at DL. DL wasn't his passion but making my daughter happy was and still is!

    dsny1mom

  7. #22

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,949

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Let me give you a valuable piece of advice:

    Do not "hint" at anything you want a guy to do for you. Say it outright. They are not good at picking up on hints, and if it's something specific that you really have your heart set on, say it clearly.

    It took me a while to figure this out, and I still don't like specifically asking for things, but I have learned that you're better off being clear than being disappointed!
    Speaking as a "dumb male," I have to say that KellyMcG is completely right! Husbands are clueless and we don't get hints. If I would give you my own advice for the future, when you do get married some day, don't expect perfection, and lower your expectations. Your future husband will mess up repeatedly. He'll get you the wrong gifts and forget important dates and anniversaries. He'll make jokes when he shouldn't and will find funny what you find deadly important. You'll end up with some really hard-core arguments.
    What do you have a right to expect/demand?
    You should expect/demand a man who tries his best, and keeps trying, even after he fails (because we all do fail.) You should expect a man who ALWAYS treats you with respect, dignity, and love - even at those times you don't feel like you love each other. Expect/demand a man who will put up with all the messiness of marriage/family, because in real life, marriage is rarely ever flowers and romantic music. You should expect/demand a man who every day, at least one time, thanks God that you're in his life. If you find a partner who has these qualities, the rest is gravy.

    Now I will get off my soapbox.

  8. #23

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,597

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    You should expect/demand a man who tries his best, and keeps trying, even after he fails (because we all do fail.) You should expect a man who ALWAYS treats you with respect, dignity, and love - even at those times you don't feel like you love each other. Expect/demand a man who will put up with all the messiness of marriage/family, because in real life, marriage is rarely ever flowers and romantic music. You should expect/demand a man who every day, at least one time, thanks God that you're in his life. If you find a partner who has these qualities, the rest is gravy.
    Thumbs up for you! This is a great response. I wished I had someone tell me this around 10 years ago when I married the wrong man because my self esteem was so low that I thought for sure no one else would want me. Now I regret that choice which changed my life drastically. But life is full of choices.

    But what sbk says is spot on.
    Last edited by clara; 02-26-2013 at 03:53 PM.

  9. #24

    • Knight of Naughtyness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    +33 48' 39.59", -117 55' 16.54"
    Posts
    5,594

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Let me give you a valuable piece of advice:

    Do not "hint" at anything you want a guy to do for you. Say it outright. They are not good at picking up on hints, and if it's something specific that you really have your heart set on, say it clearly.
    This wins for the best advice ever. I cannot tell you how many times I fail because I don't pick up on my wife's hints. Just freakin' tell me!
    -Osky

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

    The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

  10. #25

    • Long live the Fire Lord
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    288

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    This wins for the best advice ever. I cannot tell you how many times I fail because I don't pick up on my wife's hints. Just freakin' tell me!
    I'm going to third, or fourth this comment. Not just for you, for everyone. I can't speak for every guy, but my brain just isn't wired to pick up hints. not even obvious hints . . repeatedly.

    My wife gives me the "If i have to tell you" spiel, and I answer with "You would get exactly what you want"
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    172

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Let me give you a valuable piece of advice:

    Do not "hint" at anything you want a guy to do for you. Say it outright. They are not good at picking up on hints, and if it's something specific that you really have your heart set on, say it clearly.

    It took me a while to figure this out, and I still don't like specifically asking for things, but I have learned that you're better off being clear than being disappointed!

    ^^^this

    It's pretty simple, just say when a guy proposes to you, you sure hope it's in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle at DL. Just don't say it during the game if you want him to hear it.

  12. #27

    • Foolish Mortal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    21.3 miles west of DL
    Posts
    594

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    I proposed to my wife almost one year ago (March 4th, 2012) in front of the castle at Disneyland. She always thought I'd do it at an LA Kings hockey game, hahaha, so this totally caught her off guard. We have a ton of pix from one of the photopass photographers, as well as from our friends, whom helped me set the magical day up.


  13. #28

    • Selfie Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Well, dang, I should charge for my advice!

    Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

  14. #29

    • i believe in faeries.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    400

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    I proposed to my wife almost one year ago (March 4th, 2012) in front of the castle at Disneyland. She always thought I'd do it at an LA Kings hockey game, hahaha, so this totally caught her off guard. We have a ton of pix from one of the photopass photographers, as well as from our friends, whom helped me set the magical day up.

    aww, too cute! i'm so glad you have pictures of this moment! i love seeing proposal pictures... especially seeing the people in the background!

  15. #30

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,494

    Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

    You could always do the proposing yourself. That way you get to decide where it happens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where to get your 'Pirates 2'
    By quasimodo1384 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 12:22 PM
  2. Get Your Motor Runnin'
    By 5hr drive in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 03:30 AM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 04:48 PM
  4. Get a chance to get your Coolest Ride in the Galaxy online!
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 11:07 AM
  5. Get your headstone engraved today!
    By MissChristine in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 11:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •