Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

Just wondering, no right or wrong answers here obviously,

My dream, like many people on this site, is to be proposed to in front of sleeping beauty's castle someday in Disneyland. It would just be so magical and wonderful that I would cry of happiness and it would be perfect.

Now-
    It's not like I would say no if it were the right person, proposing anywhere else in the world

Would I be disappointed if the proposal didn't take place in Disneyland? Well, admittedly, yes :/
    I hate to be one of "those" women, and I wish I could say "it doesn't matter where you propose, the person is what matters."
    And while that is definitely true, it's also nice to have your dream come true if it's possible

So what do you do to make this happen without seeming like a materialistic... well, you know. ?
    Do you tell the person in advance that if they propose, that's how you want it to be? Too mandating?
    Do you expect them to figure it out for themselves? This seems unreasonable because people aren't mind readers.
    Do you hint at the idea when you're at Disneyland?

What is the right way to do this, in your opinion, without seeming incredibly shallow, but being able to have some magic at your proposal?

p.s: not getting married anytime soon, I'm only 20. Another five, ten years and I'll probably be thinking more about this.

Re: Proposals: stupid to get your hopes up?

My honey and I talked about what it would be like, were we to do it. "What do you dream about?" "How about you?" You should definitely make sure to say something about how important this is to you.

When we did get to that point, it wasn't anything like I had thought, but it fit us so it's ok. I hope you get your proposal, when you're ready for it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• formerly very helpful

Hopefully, when the time comes to get engaged, you'll already know each other well enough, and have had enough conversations about this that he'll have a pretty good idea.

Just remember, the engagement is important, yes, but it's not the whole marriage. The important part is spending your life with the right person. Focus on who you'll be marrying, and any engagement anywhere will be the right place.

I think an important thing you are missing is whether or not that place is special to your future husband. When my fiancé proposed to me, it was at a place that was special to US, rather than just me. While we both love Disneyland, he chose somewhere much more special and MUCH more private.

It bothers me when girls try to dictate the proposal and make it all about themselves. It seems the man is often forgotten. I'm sure as you get older and the time is right, it will be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    I think an important thing you are missing is whether or not that place is special to your future husband. When my fiancé proposed to me, it was at a place that was special to US, rather than just me. While we both love Disneyland, he chose somewhere much more special and MUCH more private.

It bothers me when girls try to dictate the proposal and make it all about themselves. It seems the man is often forgotten. I'm sure as you get older and the time is right, it will be perfect

A good point,

but the reason I didn't bring this up is because when I've talked about marriage with my current boyfriend of a few years, he said he would be happy to do it with the right person someday, but it isn't necessary for him.
    Simpler explanation: If he were with a girl that marriage didn't matter to, it wouldn't matter to him either.

So it's kind of just for me in this case because he would be with me regardless, is what he said.

Then again, if I marry someone else who it does matter to, of course I would take their likes and dislikes into account and pick a place for the two of us.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    A good point,

but the reason I didn't bring this up is because when I've talked about marriage with my current boyfriend of a few years, he said he would be happy to do it with the right person someday, but it isn't necessary for him.
    Simpler explanation: If he were with a girl that marriage didn't matter to, it wouldn't matter to him either.

So it's kind of just for me in this case because he would be with me regardless, is what he said.

Then again, if I marry someone else who it does matter to, of course I would take their likes and dislikes into account and pick a place for the two of us.
    Is your boyfriend also 20? There is no man at that age who really wants to get married. I would wait until he is at least 25. Men at 20 think and act as if they know everything but they really know nothing. It isn't until a man reaches 25 until they realize this. I'd wait if I were you. And if he is the right one for you it shouldn't matter whether the proposal is at Disneyland or in a sewer. I'd wait a bit on this one. Keep the fantasy to yourself. Wait for it to happen rather than worrying about how it will happen.

• The doctor is in

I personally think Disney proposals pay tribute to how well your significant other knows you. If the relationship is serious enough to merit conversation hinting toward spending your lives together then they would know that a Disney proposal would probably be something special for you. With that said, there are several ways to hint at your love for Disneyland and how awesome it would be to celebrate or announce wedding related events there.

That's not suggesting that if a proposal happened elsewhere they knew you any less, but that's just my opinion.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post

Excellent point!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I personally think Disney proposals pay tribute to how well your significant other knows you. If the relationship is serious enough to merit conversation hinting toward spending your lives together then they would know that a Disney proposal would probably be something special for you. With that said, there are several ways to hint at your love for Disneyland and how awesome it would be to celebrate or announce wedding related events there.

That's not suggesting that if a proposal happened elsewhere they knew you any less, but that's just my opinion.
    This. I guess you could always watch some YouTube videos of proposals at Disney and mention how cool and romantic you think they are. That might get the message across. However if you did this with a boyfriend who isn't interested in marriage or isn't ready for it, they'd likely run for the hills. I'd also add that a lot of people are not comfortable with public proposals - they feel it is invasive or puts the other person on the spot if they're forced to answer such an important question in front of a lot of total strangers (and if you're the one doing the asking, I'd imagine that getting turned down in front of strangers could be really really humiliating). So even if a guy knew you liked Disney he might be reluctant to propose there.

The wedding will likely be yours to plan - with the proposal it's just very likely that you won't have any say over it, and one would hope that the question, not the scenery, will be the focus.

• Selfie Expert

Let me give you a valuable piece of advice:

Do not "hint" at anything you want a guy to do for you. Say it outright. They are not good at picking up on hints, and if it's something specific that you really have your heart set on, say it clearly.

It took me a while to figure this out, and I still don't like specifically asking for things, but I have learned that you're better off being clear than being disappointed!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

for a cool story look at my other post regarding my proposal at the parks last week. or i can put the story on here. the point is... even if it isnt all perfect it can still be magical

"Very good proposal experience at the Blue Bayou. I've been trying for over a year to work out a plan to propose to my Gf in various ways in Disneyland.

When I called to make my totally unrelated dinner reservation with the Blue Bayou for our first day there, the CM on the phone asked if I was celebrating anything. I told her I'd hoped to get engaged earlier in the day at the park and might be celebrating that. She asked if I had any special plans for it, and she was VERY helpful and got the manager of the Blue Bayou to call me regarding options.

Needless to say everything was an extra expense that they did, but the fact they were willing to do it was great. I opted for what they called "proposal assistance". I also asked what the chances of were finding the Darkwing Duck character to maybe be there . . . She said that would be unlikely since he has not been seen there in years.

Roughly a week later she called me back regarding Darkwing. She was able to produce an 8x10 glossy of him made out to my GF. She also offered to have a sketch done of him with the date and her name on it at an additional fee. I was ok with the pricing and all in on it.

So we arrived at the Blue Bayou for our 5 o'clock dinner and I double checked with the CM at the door to make sure there is some sort of notification going on when my gf ran to the restroom. She said there was a note that something was going on and to contact their lead.

As we were led to our seats there was a picture stand with the 8x10 of Darkwing on the table. My Gf was very amused with this.

Here is where the story takes an odd detour. At the table directly next to us there was a couple, and the man was vomiting on his plate, which I thought was weird & awful . . . After we were seated and our drink order taken he was still vomiting and now was choking. His gf asked if he was ok and he shook his head no. She tried to give him the heimlich but it did not work and he was projectile vomiting all over everything including my shoes and the carped under out table. I couldn't believe this was happening and no one was helping him so I walked up behind him and punched him in the back VERY hard twice. The food was dislodged and he was able to breathe. lol sadly I was thinking.. not on my watch, man, not after I planned all this out so far in advance. This is all screwed up.

Anyways after this my gf and I joked about me being a hero, and I looked at the Darkwing picture and asked it, "Where were YOU, buddy?"

After dinner our dessert plated was brought out with the words "will you marry me" written in chocolate. I had it done that way so I couldnt back out. She took a minute or so to compose herself and said yes. It was at this point the proposal assistance really kicked in. A man in a tux brought out 2 champagne glasses and a bottle of sparkling cider (no booze in DL) along with 4 white roses and the other darkwing duck sketch. It was an amazing moment and some VERY real Disney Magic. Just thought I'd share.

So, yes, I saved a man's life and got engaged all at one time. BEST HOUR EVER."

BTW, my GF was TOTALLY in shock and surprised. so maybe hes already planning something

• i believe in faeries.

my husband proposed to me with a ring inside of a pumpkin on halloween, while carving pumpkins on my living room floor. it wasn't what i thought i wanted; i always watched youtube videos of elabroate proposals (being that i'm a pretty elaborate person) but it was soemthing he came up with, and it was my ring on my fave holiday... and it was exactly everything i could've asked for.

point is, i wouldn't suggest or tell him how you want to be proposed to--- someone stated above that you get to plan the wedding (there are lots of disney wedding packages!) let him come up with something he thinks is special for you.

• Minion

If you ever witness someone being proposed to, you can comment about how you have always dreamed of being proposed to in front of the Castle.

That said, DIL1 told several people how she dreamed of being proposed to on a beach at sunset. My son rolled his eyes. She did get proposed to at sunset, but in the pilothouse of the Mark Twain. She screamed, she cried, she was so excited. She was engaged, and the beach was no longer a point.

DS#2 had always wanted to propose in front of the castle. But his wife is very private. So, instead, he proposed on the balcony of Club 33. Now, they did reenter to about 60 people cheering as everyone was told what was happening!
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• The doctor is in

Personally, I would much rather just be happy that he asked me at all rather than worry about the fact that it might not have happened at Disneyland. Like others have said, you can plan the wedding.

I know for a fact that if my wedding isn't actually at Disneyland my honeymoon will be.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast