Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Updates on the People Mover?

I've always been a fan of the peoplemover since it opened in 67. I went to DL that year and loved every second of the ride. I never rode Rocket Rods but I've watched video and I'm glad I never rode it. The PM was designed for sightseeing. It's too bad they allowed the tracks to decay but some of the earlier reasons for not repairing the ride were total BS if you analyzed them.
    Now the tracks are beyond repair but the ride should be re-engineered in the next TL makeover. A new track, new cars, maybe even a new route through TL. Also, give the ride a route through a show building all its own. It can be done. TL is in need of a facelift and Disney needs to get off it's collective butt. They've already recouped what they spent on Carsland so stop using that excuse. Stop competing with the roller-coaster parks and build themed attractions.

Rant over (for now)
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

MRaymond, I couldn't agree with you more. I seem to recall that at one point, the PeopleMover was to have its own show building. That would be a very interesting concept, IMHO.

The Tomorrowland reboot should not be done on the cheap (viz the 1998 hot mess). I think eventually the exhibition buildings will either need to be rebuilt. This, plus the decaying track, should be the final impetus for the makeover. Disney needs to make a BOLD, INNOVATIVE move here.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    I've always been a fan of the peoplemover since it opened in 67. I went to DL that year and loved every second of the ride. I never rode Rocket Rods but I've watched video and I'm glad I never rode it. The PM was designed for sightseeing. It's too bad they allowed the tracks to decay but some of the earlier reasons for not repairing the ride were total BS if you analyzed them.
    Now the tracks are beyond repair but the ride should be re-engineered in the next TL makeover. A new track, new cars, maybe even a new route through TL. Also, give the ride a route through a show building all its own. It can be done. TL is in need of a facelift and Disney needs to get off it's collective butt. They've already recouped what they spent on Carsland so stop using that excuse. Stop competing with the roller-coaster parks and build themed attractions.

Rant over (for now)
    Hate to break it to you, but they probably won't create a new track route due to the high costs of building it. And if it eventually does get new cars, they will most likely resemble the enclosed DL Monorails.

By the way, did any one hear what may be replacing Innoventions in the near future?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Speaking of which the Disneyland Monorail is the only Disney monorail in the world that has such an extensive track - and apart from EPCOT / DCA - it's the only monorail to go in a Disney MK park.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Last year at the Pacific Northwest MouseMeet Tony Baxter talked about the people mover. He told us it is not coming back. Unfortunately the track has deteriorated in several spots. Also when they changed the ride to the Rockets Rods it lost its grandfather status. That means that due to safety rules the track would have to be significantly changed. Stairs and railings would have to be added and the ride would have to be enclosed.

Basically it would cost a huge amount of money to get the ride back. Money they could be spending on other things that would be more crowd pleasing in the long run.
    I'm not quite sold on the money issue.

So, they'd have to build "enclosed" ride vehicles. Big deal, make tall plexiglass windows that go up past the height of an adult or something like that. This is a creative challenge, not a big financial one.

Rocket Rods didn't have a ton of stairs everywhere, I pressume because the ride was fast and at one point in time there weren't a ton of guests on a given stretch of track. Obviously roller coasters don't have stairs every couple of feet. They could build Tomorrowland appropriate 'railings' for the track so a person could safely walk out, or be wheel chaired out.

Yeah, MK's People mover is all on one level, they could change the track at Disneyland to model this as it would allow easier transit of guests in the case of a breakdown.

Guests enjoyed the People Mover, it was a great way to relax and get a little tour of a section of Disneyland, I love the People Mover in MK and I ride it first when I visit MK. Every little ride makes Disneyland that much more special, and if even 10% of guests absolutely love it, then that is 10% of guests that will want to come back for it, and other reasons.

• Banned User

Now the tracks are beyond repair but the ride should be re-engineered in the next TL makeover. A new track, new cars, maybe even a new route through TL.
    I assume that the People Mover track is concrete reinforced with rebar, should last forever if they prevent corrosion. All they had to do was put some sort of covering, regular paint jobs even, on the track. After all, they presumably had a refurb plan for Rocket Rods so that the ride could last decades?

If the Rocket Rod track is corroded, then perhaps the water has corroded rebar in the tracks, which could then cause the cement to crack and so the whole thing should then be demolished?

Somebody should just anonymously complain to Cal OSHA that the People Mover track is rusted and a danger to guests who walk under it. Demand an immediate inspection and the track will be gone, and then maybe they'll have to do something about this whole situation.

Seriously, I don't like the idea of riding the Autopia with a decayed People Mover track over my head that would probably kill me if a section fell off!

In Orlando, can you touch the walls of the buildings as the People Mover goes on its course? Seems more open, why not just build something where even Shaq couldn't touch the walls and you can walk off. Problem solved.

• Banned User

Seriously, bridges with rusted rebar that haven't been painted properly fall apart all the time and have to be demolished. I *think* I have seen rusted Rocket Rod track on the People Mover tracks, and I don't think they paint the top, water rust rebar (reinforcing steel bars placed in cement to give it flexibility), the rebar expands and busts up the concrete.

Here is the Cal/OSHA website, maybe somebody could file an anonymous complaint as this whole situation reminds me of the Columbia death.

Division of Occupational Safety and Health

Just Google "corroded rebar bridge" to see what water damage can do to People Mover like structures.

Here is the contact page, you can call them, or send in a web "complaint", doesn't have to be reporting an actually accident.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/Contactus.html
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-16-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Our best bet is to pray Pixar makes a PeopleMover movie...

• Down Pluto!

The PM was one of the key features of a vibrant and kinetic Tomorrowland. It foretold of a future full of energy, movement, and possibility. It was removed for a cheap, quick, tawdry thrill - never to return. That future was abandoned. Now with the PM track just sitting there unused and deteriorating, it symbolizes the new Disney vision of a dystopian future. Disney can and should be better than this. Fix it and make it work! You can re-do the subs. You can put a big TWA rocket back up. Somehow you have no will to make the vision for tomorrow once again bright, vibrant, and going somewhere. The PM is it's current state best symbolizes the state of Disney management - no forward vision at all.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I assume that the People Mover track is concrete reinforced with rebar,
    It is ..........

DAVELAND TOMORROWLAND PHOTO

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Kinda hard to believe that somebody hasn't been painting the concrete surface (not talking about the tubular steel).

Has anybody seen them painting the track since Rocket Rods closed?

Here's a couple pictures I found on the internet:

Name:  rocket_rods_track_overgrown-buiter.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  39.5 KB

I think this photo^ gives us a lot of info, some sections of the electrical busbars *look* like they are painted with "go-away grey", (though it could be the light) and some are not as the tree crew in the way, so it has been painted post-decommissioning of the Rocket Rods as you obviously wouldn't want to paint the busbars when it was in operation as that is where the power transfer occurs, plus the painters avoided painting the area with overgrowth from the tree, which happened after decommissioning as well.

Name:  PeopleMoverTrack15.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  86.3 KB

^Peculiar, the electrical busbars are unpainted, the tubular steel track is *rusting*, ouch, if water got inside of that it could down, down . . . into the cement support, I kinda doubt the cement/metal interface between tubular steel and the track is being painted, another entrance point for water. You'd figure that every 3 years they'd just paint the whole thing if there they absolutely would not use it again.

And then back when Rocket Rods was working:

Name:  tms-550ag.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  300px-Rocket_Rods,_Disneyland,_California.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  21.4 KB
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-16-2013 at 03:55 PM.

• Banned User

Rant over (for now)
    Didn't RSR/Carsland cost about $600 million? DLR's yearly profits are about $200 million, so they probably want to spend the three or so years getting back the $600 million, and longer to "milk" the success.

Plus, when you look at the total $1.1 Billion for DCA 2.0 . . . we're looking at a decade to recoup that amount and get a decent profit, though it might take less time with more guests.

This stuff just opened last sumer.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I'm not quite sold on the money issue.

So, they'd have to build "enclosed" ride vehicles. Big deal, make tall plexiglass windows that go up past the height of an adult or something like that. This is a creative challenge, not a big financial one.
    If they built enclosed vehicles - they would need air conditioning to keep the vehicles habitable in the summer time. Individual AC units on each car would be expensive to operate and maintain.

Things have changed too since the Rocket Rods were closed. Look at Alice. They would probably need to tear down and widen the whole track if they wanted to put a new ride on there to ensure there is a proper 36" walking path along the entire route. They would also need to have permanent handrails along the track for fall protection, which would destroy the great views you would otherwise have had. Even if the ride were to come back, it wouldn't be the same ride it was in 1967 (or heck even the 1988 version).

Why spend so much money to bring back a watered down Peoplemover, when half your audience today doesn't even remember what the PeopleMover was.

As much as I would like to see it come back, it's dead.

Love the one at WDW though.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Come back tomorrow for no news about the PeopleMover.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast