Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disney Parks Fan

Re: Updates on the People Mover?

I don't know that bringing back the People Mover is what Tomorrowland needs, but Tomorrowland needs more care than it is getting. When I was a boy, Tomorrowland was the most exciting part of Disneyland for me. It seems to be more of a Yesterdayland now. Disney cast members quietly blame new project managers for letting the land deteriorate.

Cheer up! I think there are still at least three E-ticket attractions left in that section of the park. Most of the parks lands only have one. The imagneers seem to have some good new ideas though those new ideas seem to be implemented in other parts of DLR.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by wedwaypm View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but they probably won't create a new track route due to the high costs of building it.
    How can we assume what's too expensive for Disney's taste .. and what isn't?

The key is not to look at a Peoplemover renewal ... all by itself.

But wrapped up into an entirely new Tomorrowland that entails new attractions .. new look .. OH ... and, possibly, a ride that circles the land, and give "rooftop" views of the land - in the same vein as the 1967 Peoplemover.

Lets all remember there is more than just - What to do with the P.M. tracks in Tomorrowland .... when there's an entire land to look at - for renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Even if the ride were to come back, it wouldn't be the same ride it was in 1967
    Who says it has to be exactly like the 1967 version, anyway? Why can't it be a whole new "take" on the premise? That's been my argument about this for a long time now. Everybody keeps looking at this through a "Fitting a square peg into a round hole" view.

IF they remodel the land ... by demolishing various structures ... and parts of some that will stay (As they did in the '67 remodel) ... then that Square peg ... can fit into a Square hole.

Why spend so much money to bring back a watered down Peoplemover, when half your audience today doesn't even remember what the PeopleMover was.
    That does not make any sense. Pardon me, sounds like a pointless remark.

In a remodeled land, with a new look and new attractions ... A ride circling the land that pays some sort of homage to the 1967 Peoplemover would entertain NEWER GENERATIONS. Generations who never got ride the original, but get treated to something entirely new.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-17-2013 at 04:36 AM.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Who says it has to be exactly like the 1967 version, anyway? Why can't it be a whole new "take" on the premise? That's been my argument about this for a long time now. Everybody keeps looking at this through a "Fitting a square peg into a round hole" view.
    So you want the Rocket Rods back?

That does not make any sense. Pardon me, sounds like a pointless remark.
    Not really. Its been 20 years since the thing closed, and even those of us who remember have adjusted to life without it. Just like bringing Captain EO back, the novelty would fade fast and it would go back to being empty most of the time. You cant justify spending a huge sum of cash on nothing more than a novelty for a handful of guests.

In a remodeled land, with a new look and new attractions ... A ride circling the land that pays some sort of homage to the 1967 Peoplemover would entertain NEWER GENERATIONS.
    Well as long as it is some kind of high speed thrill ride, you may have a chance of it coming back. That`s the only way I ever see them putting out the money to fix it. The view would be so awful due to regulations that you couldn`t possibly make it the selling point of any new attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    So you want the Rocket Rods back?
    Let me put it this way - You don't see the DLR rollercoasters with staircases at every 15 feet ... or guide rail along the entire ride. They have "brake" zones ... to bring them to an "E Stop". Why couldn't Disney create a propulsion/track system .... that does the same thing? Bring the vehicles to designated 'brake' zones. It's not like I'm the only one to bring this up. This has been discussed before by other posters, over time. It does not necessarily have to be a roller coaster with "roller coaster" speeds (aka Rocket Rods) But a design borrowing from the concept/premise. I'm not an engineer ... But I don't see why something couldn't be worked out ... in an entirely newly designed land.

Not really. Its been 20 years since the thing closed, and even those of us who remember have adjusted to life without it. Just like bringing Captain EO back, the novelty would fade fast and it would go back to being empty most of the time. You cant justify spending a huge sum of cash on nothing more than a novelty for a handful of guests.
    You seem to only view this entire subject through a narrow prism. That "prism" - ONLY the generation that experienced it.

What about future generations? Are you speaking for them, too?

As for drawing comparisons to Captain EO ... apples and oranges. They just took the very same 1986 film ... dropped it into the 2 3D projectors .. minus several of it's original "4D" tricks. That would be like saying ... They are going to drop the very same 1967 Peoplemover trains in ... and not reinstall a few other elements, like lets say the audio track ... and call it a day. AKA - Captain EO's current run. I think it's safe to say ... If they ever do "return it" ... it will be in a whole new way. That will not only capture the grumpy older generations ... but newer generations .. not to mention ... those yet to be born.

Well as long as it is some kind of high speed thrill ride, you may have a chance of it coming back. That`s the only way I ever see them putting out the money to fix it. The view would be so awful due to regulations that you couldn`t possibly make it the selling point of any new attraction.
    Disney is good at working out obstacles. Once they put their minds to it ... and some of this - $$$. They did it for DCA 2.0. Why not Tomorrowland?

But then again .... we can all just be ho-hum .. cynical .... complacent ... with a "glass half full" way of looking at this ... and think they'll never go the extra mile, ever again.

At this time, though, ... I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt. And hope for the best. I'm not quite the naive Pollyanna ... Just hopeful .. that with enough people showing support (Yes, I'm talking to everyone reading this topic! Write to Disney, today!!) ... just maybe we can go from an "Okay New Tomorrowland" ..... to a "GREAT New Tomorrowland."

• Disney Parks Fan

I saw its remains at DLR on Friday (March 15, 2013) last week. It still sits there collecting dust and causing people to look upward while remembering when Tomorrowland was had more motion above the walkways. I didn't get to ride the People Mover at WDW when I was there last year.

• Artistic integrity

I want to stick Disney's own words they gave to James Franco's character in the new OZ film - "I don't want to be a good man, I want to be a GREAT man" .... and apply it to their efforts for a future Tomorrowland.

We don't want to make Tomorrowland a Good Tomorrowland, we want to make it a GREAT Tomorrowland!

Good Tomorrowland: New design, NO "PM" type experience
    Great Tomorrowland: New design, WITH "PM" type experience

Come on Disney!

Stop - Just barely meeting expectations - EXCEED expectations! Like you use to!

Complacency is not an option. Period!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-17-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Let me put it this way - You don't see the DLR rollercoasters with staircases at every 15 feet ... or guide rail along the entire ride. They have "brake" zones ... to bring them to an "E Stop". Why couldn't Disney create a propulsion/track system .... that does the same thing? Bring the vehicles to designated 'brake' zones. It's not like I'm the only one to bring this up. This has been discussed before by other posters, over time. It does not necessarily have to be a roller coaster with "roller coaster" speeds (aka Rocket Rods) But a design borrowing from the concept/premise. I'm not an engineer ... But I don't see why something couldn't be worked out ... in an entirely newly designed land.

You seem to only view this entire subject through a narrow prism. That "prism" - ONLY the generation that experienced it.

What about future generations? Are you speaking for them, too?

As for drawing comparisons to Captain EO ... apples and oranges. They just took the very same 1986 film ... dropped it into the 2 3D projectors .. minus several of it's original "4D" tricks. That would be like saying ... They are going to drop the very same 1967 Peoplemover trains in ... and not reinstall a few other elements, like lets say the audio track ... and call it a day. AKA - Captain EO's current run. I think it's safe to say ... If they ever do "return it" ... it will be in a whole new way. That will not only capture the grumpy older generations ... but newer generations .. not to mention ... those yet to be born.

Disney is good at working out obstacles. Once they put their minds to it ... and some of this - $$$. They did it for DCA 2.0. Why not Tomorrowland?

But then again .... we can all just be ho-hum .. cynical .... complacent ... with a "glass half full" way of looking at this ... and think they'll never go the extra mile, ever again.

At this time, though, ... I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt. And hope for the best. I'm not quite the naive Pollyanna ... Just hopeful .. that with enough people showing support (Yes, I'm talking to everyone reading this topic! Write to Disney, today!!) ... just maybe we can go from an "Okay New Tomorrowland" ..... to a "GREAT New Tomorrowland."
    Right on! I totally support you and want the PM back equally as much as you do and in the same way as you envision it.

I say we create a petition, have people sign it and send it to Disney. That would say a lot.

• New Member Goes Forth

The need to do something with the derelic track above Tomorrowland. It looks an eyesore
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Actually, little known fact about rebar, while it is much stronger in earth quake situations, it actually ends up rusting and causes the concrete to fall apart. Romans didn't use rebar, which is why their ruins are quite intact. Lasts only 50 years if not maintained. "Life After People" I love that show.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    The need to do something with the derelic track above Tomorrowland. It looks an eyesore
    The current president of Disneyland presided over Animal Kingdom, a park which has installed permanent ugly nets under the Tree of Life rather than fix the water damage due to neglect, left the Yeti non-fuctional rather than fix it, left the Dinosaur ride in horrible condition . . . he was last seen touring the temporary-permanent scaffolding on Alice, which hasn't been fixed in something like two years. If they can't fix 80 feet of outside track on Alice, what chance do we have of the People Mover being fixed?

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The current president of Disneyland presided over Animal Kingdom, a park which has installed permanent ugly nets under the Tree of Life rather than fix the water damage due to neglect, left the Yeti non-fuctional rather than fix it, left the Dinosaur ride in horrible condition . . . he was last seen touring the temporary-permanent scaffolding on Alice, which hasn't been fixed in something like two years. If they can't fix 80 feet of outside track on Alice, what chance do we have of the People Mover being fixed?
    We keep pressuring him.

By inundating him with letters campaigning for some sort of new "Peoplemover" type experience.

And you don't let up! Keep hitting him as hard as you can on this subject!

The more passion people pour on to the Walt Disney Co. over this subject ..... the more they may listen.

You have to try. WE have to try!

Check this out .....

In 2008 the OC Register conducted a poll on which retired DL attraction to bring back. Look who was the winner:

Poll results: Which retired attraction should be brought back? - Around Disney : The Orange County Register

5 years later .... You know the passion and outcry will be larger. Because it's been another 5 years without a replacement.

I got an idea for someone - Contact the OC Register .. and get them to write up another story and poll.

Not only them ... Give the OC Edition of the LA Times a jingle too!

Don't wait around.

Do it.

Or ... in the words of a 23rd Century Captain of a starship ..........

(You know what I'm going to say )
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-18-2013 at 07:11 PM.

We keep pressuring him.

By inundating him with letters campaigning for some sort of new "Peoplemover" type experience.

The more passion people pour on to the Walt Disney Co. over this subject ..... the more they may listen.

Check this out .....

In 2008 the OC Register conducted a poll on which retired DL attraction to bring back. Look who was the winner:

Poll results: Which retired attraction should be brought back? - Around Disney : The Orange County Register

5 years later .... You know the passion and outcry will be larger. Because it's been another 5 years without a replacement.

I got an idea for someone - Contact the OC Register .. and get them to write up another story and poll.

Don't wait around.

Do it.

Or ... in the words of a 23rd Century Captain of a starship ..........

(You know what I'm going to say )
    Ok. So you are definitely the biggest supporter of the PM revival on micechat. If i was going to do something about it like you are saying, how would you suggest I do it? Send an email or letter to who? (I know you put down a bunch of contact info but I just don't think they're gonna take a little letter from a 14 into consideration)

Also, I was watching some footage of Tommorowland from like the 90s' and it looks so much more alive with the PM moving through it.

• Sock Puppet

Exclamation Re: Updates on the People Mover?

We keep pressuring him.

Check this out .....

Originally posted by Orange County Register
    Here are the final poll results:
    721 votes: PeopleMover
    194 votes: Country Bear Jamboree
    172 votes: Carousel of Progress
    156 votes: Adventure Through Inner Space
    69 votes: Rocket Rods
    68 votes: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    62 votes: Light Magic Parade
    49 votes: Motor Boat Cruise
    46 votes: Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules
    Check back soon for another poll.
    What??? CBJ is more popular than the Carousel of Progress??? I would definitely prefer CoP compared to that extinct extravaganza. Plus... People actually LIKED Rocket Rods?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast