Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Updates on the People Mover?

The People mover is always a pretty big topic around here. Any new updates?

Also... Why don't they just build a WDW PM at Disneyland? I'm sure they could figure it out.

• formerly very helpful

Re: Updates on the People Mover?

I don't know anything about a new People Mover. But my belief is the reason they don't do the WDW version of PM - or any other version - is because of $$$$$.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Everyone is looking for any and all changes in Tomorrowland. Disneyland posts its park hours and refurbishment schedual 6 weeks in advance on its parks hours part of website. I think everyone here agrees that we need a new Tomorrowland. Which there is a refurbishment to note that both the Autopia and Monorail will be down today through Thursday and again next week. They are either working on Monorail which everyone agrees or they are working on PM or converting all Autopia vechiles to electric but the last one is not lickly without a new sponcership. The real reason as stated above is because of money. Disney would have to expand most of the track to abide by the laws about handicaps and put railing up on the whole track also the outside portion around Autopia would have to be redone due to its being "unstable". IDK because they seem to be still painting it.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Shablagoo!

Last year at the Pacific Northwest MouseMeet Tony Baxter talked about the people mover. He told us it is not coming back. Unfortunately the track has deteriorated in several spots. Also when they changed the ride to the Rockets Rods it lost its grandfather status. That means that due to safety rules the track would have to be significantly changed. Stairs and railings would have to be added and the ride would have to be enclosed.

Basically it would cost a huge amount of money to get the ride back. Money they could be spending on other things that would be more crowd pleasing in the long run.

i have wondered how hard it would be to make it a guided walk through type attraction. no cars just a long walk through some of the cool parts of tomorrow land you never get to see

The best parts of the ride was over the subs, autopia and moter boats(see the short, dull non-level changing WDW cheap version) so tearing down just that section is illogical.

I've had enough of gutting old TL attractions to awkwardly squeeze in new ones. They ruined one of the most popular rides/experiences at DL and they need to remove every foot of track that's not part of a building. It's currently a painful reminder and eyesore. The layout is not useful for a walkway or optimal for a Marvel ride. Buldozing the track and awkwardly repurposed areas(pizza port, eo, Starcade) is the only way to make a clean canvas for the cars land dream team currently in place to work their magic.

• Cretan

Ugggh. The PeopleMover, how I miss you. I still cannot believe that Disney has allowed Tomorrowland to endure in this wretched fashion. This has been handled in such an amateur manner and has been a glaring example of poor show for over fifteen years now. Disney is supposed to set the standard for theme parks and it certainly did here. Unfortunately it was the low bar they set in this instance. If anyone ever wants to learn how to spectacularly butcher a beautiful theme park, take a look at Tomorrowland '98. What an embarrassment. We're going to Disneyland tomorrow for five days and the only bad part is that I'll have to look at the corpse of Tomorrowland.
    Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

• Sock Puppet

Something that tugs PM heartstrings, from another thread:
    B2D on 3/12/13

Of note... I was at the park today picking up a gift and I hopped on the Monorail to get to DTD. A family of three was sitting in front of me, the daughter maybe 11 or 12 and obviously her first time. The Mom and Dad hadn't been in a while.

The daughter looked at the PM track and said, "That goes all the way around Tomorrowland, that looks fun, let's ride that!" The parents collectively made comments like,

"I think that's been broken for a long time now."
    "I can't remember when I've ever seen it working."
    "Didn't they have some kind of fast car (ROCKET RODS) on it that took off from over there?"
    "It looks abandoned, there's leaves and crud all over the track."
    Sad that such a menacing ride like RR destroyed the chances of the PeopleMover being "grandfathered" by the OSHA. PM, may you return one day...

• Banned User

I actually fondly remember the 98 tomorrowland. The problem was it didn't last, not the initial idea of it. Just my opinion, but if they had maintained that design it would have been great. The Rocket Rods were a great attraction, so was the initial idea of Innoventions, but again...maintenance.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I actually fondly remember the 98 tomorrowland. The problem was it didn't last, not the initial idea of it. Just my opinion, but if they had maintained that design it would have been great. The Rocket Rods were a great attraction, so was the initial idea of Innoventions, but again...maintenance.
    To each his own, but I think the biggest problem with Tomorrowland was in a lot of ways very similar to the problems that faced DCA circa 2001, namely they didn't have the money to do what they wanted to so they resorted to throwing something together with the limited funds they had available.

Tomorrowland 2055 had some really great ideas, but when that didn't work they tried to go for the Discoveryland route, but it was never executed in a coherent way. The attractions that stuck around, Star Tours and Space Mountain, didn't really fit the idea of Discoveryland and weren't changed in any significant way to be better integrated aesthetically into a Jules Verne inspired Tomorrowland. The additions didn't fare much better. Rocket Rods were cheaply installed on a track that was never designed for a high-speed thrill ride, Innoventions was always a half-baked idea lacking any real compelling exhibits to make it worth the while, and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience was an attraction that was always destined to have a short shelf life.

Tomorrowland '98 was supposed to be an area that recalled the classic literary science fiction of Jules Verne, but instead amounted to bathing the entire area in ugly shades of brown and bronze paint and a handful of half-baked attractions that didn't really fit with the proposed theme anyway. It's taken Disney the better part of a decade to try to recover from the mistake that was Tomorrowland '98 and even 15 years later there still remains nasty leftovers from that mistake, an empty PeopleMover track being just one of them.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    Jack, it is most likely ... the next "update" there is ..... Whenever the Co. gets around to Tomorrowland's (long rumored) remodel .... It won't contain any kind of overhead ride like the Peoplemover, at all.

If you don't want that to happen - Then you, along with anyone else interested - Need to write to the powers-that-be .... and tell them, you are not happy with that plan, at all!

People need to get use to this new face around the DLR - The new president:

Michael A. Colglazier
    Disneyland Resort President
    Team Disney Anaheim
    700 W Ball Rd
    Anaheim, CA 92802

And if people think just simply writing a topic on a Disney fan site is going to make all the difference in the world - think again.

This needs to be a grass-roots movement. A dedicated blog, website, Facebook page, Youtube video - whatever.

And if people don't do these thinks .. and naively think the Walt Disney Co. is going to do the right thing - Kiss the idea of any "P.M." type experience GOOD BYE!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-13-2013 at 03:07 PM.

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Jack, it is most likely ... the next "update" there is ..... Whenever the Co. gets around to Tomorrowland's (long rumored) remodel .... It won't contain any kind of overhead ride like the Peoplemover, at all.

If you don't want that to happen - Then you, along with anyone else interested - Need to write to the powers-that-be .... and tell them, you are not happy with that plan, at all!

People need to get use to this new face around the DLR - The new president:

Michael A. Colglazier
    Disneyland Resort President
    Team Disney Anaheim
    700 W Ball Rd
    Anaheim, CA 92802

And if people think just simply writing a topic on a Disney fan site is going to make all the difference in the world - think again.

This needs to be a grass-roots movement. A dedicated blog, website, Facebook page, Youtube video - whatever.

And if people don't do these thinks .. and naively think the Walt Disney Co. is going to do the right thing - Kiss the idea of any "P.M." type experience GOOD BYE!
    Well said. Isn't there a PM petition out and also a fan page on Facebook? Could've sworn there was...

Name:  36143635.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  76.5 KB

D'oh. That didn't work as well as I hoped.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

People for the Peoplemover |—| Be a Part of the Movement!

I think this might be the petition you were referencing. Seems like a pretty dead site now. Here's the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Disne...36717786349811

• Sock Puppet

Looks like this forum is dead. Since GE no longer owns USP, think they'll re-sponser the CSP? Or bring it back to DL (Low Chances)?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    Has nothing changed since yesterday, you mean? Or the day before that going back 20 years.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast