Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do the inconsistencies of Disney bother you in shows/movies?

I'll give you a few examples:

Jurassic Park - "When Disneyland opened in 1956, nothing worked."

Big Bang Theory - Penny: "We're riding the Matterhorn in Disneyland?"
    Leonard: "Think farther"
    Penny: "We're riding the Matterhorn in Disney World?"

Roseanne - Somehow we are given the idea that Dan can just run from Magic Kingdom to Epcot just that easily. Even the monorail ride takes a few minutes in between parks.

Family Guy - The episode where they are in Disney World. There is the Indiana Jones ride which doesn't exist there, only in Disneyland. Sort of the same inconsistency as the Big Bang Theory episode.

So do you just laugh these things off? I do normally. However I wonder if this is done purposely or not. Do they just assume that the majority of people wouldn't have gone to any of the parks? Or both especially? It is a petty mistake in a film/show which falls on the shoulders of the directors for not fact checking but shouldn't show business people know this stuff a little better?

• Minion

Re: Do the inconsistencies of Disney bother you in shows/movies?

It bothers me. It's evidence of lazy writing. I get that TV shows are written on a tight schedule and they have to create enough material for each episode, but it's ridiculous how they won't do simple fact-checking.

• Nic

In the Full House Walt Disney World episode, Michelle meets Snow White in front of the Tiki Room...
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• keh!

If that were to bother me, I'd be pretty pathetic. I'm not THAT big of a Disney nerd.

However, Spielberg could have done some research...

• keh!

Oh, and this is probably one of my favorite moments at a "Disney" park (EPCOT) on a show, haha.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    If that were to bother me, I'd be pretty pathetic. I'm not THAT big of a Disney nerd.

However, Spielberg could have done some research...
    I don't think it's as much of being a Disney nerd as much as it is seeing a mistake and feeling as if the writers don't care about their work and their audience.

Stephen Sondheim says he's bothered by his own lyric in West Side Story that reads "I feel charming / Oh-so charming / It's alarming how charming I feel" because that character would never say something is "alarming." That's the kind of attention to detail I enjoy and crave from writers.

• Minion

I think most things are just done to fit in with the story line/joke. None of these things are documentaries about the parks, they're just entertainment.

99.5% of the population won't care or notice.

Although, the Jurassic Park one is a bit annoying

• Selfie Expert

I catch those kinds of things but am not usually annoyed about Disney stuff, because the shows aren't usually implying that they're accurate (if that makes any sense).

However, I DO get annoyed when they say things about medications completely wrong, because medical shows (i.e. House) imply that they are being accurate. Plus, it's their" specialtiy", per se. Big Bang Theory isn't a Disney show, if they were I would hold them accountable to get it right.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• The doctor is in

If I notice the stuff I just tend to shrug it off and say something like, "way to do your research."
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

No. People in movies/TV shows often say incorrect things, just like people here say incorrect things.

• UnExiled Minion

TV/Movie PR guy: "Honestly, I didn't know too-anal Disney fanatics like you existed."
    Disney Fanatic #1: "Maybe you should do a little more research."
    Disney Fanatic #2, to the waiter:"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."
    Disney Fanatic #1: "I don't have much of an appetite, thank you." [death stare]
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Well there's a problem right there OP: Watching the Big Bang Theory in the first place.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

It's also possible that although the writers know the difference the characters don't. For example, maybe Penny doesn't know that there is no Matterhorn in Disney World. People in real life unknowingly make false statements, so it makes sense that characters in TV would as well.

It's things like where they are supposedly in one park but go on a ride that doesn't exist in that park that bugs me.

• Just drawn that way

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    I think most things are just done to fit in with the story line/joke. None of these things are documentaries about the parks, they're just entertainment.

99.5% of the population won't care or notice.

Although, the Jurassic Park one is a bit annoying

It amuses me more than anything.......I feel it's a bit of none research, a bit of the majority of people do not know the difference anyways or have the same misconceptions of the places.

In Jurassic park, I just shrugged it off, I was figured they were talking about all theopening day problems they had on or off the tv taping.
    Little and broken, but still good.

Oh yeah, I mean I won't lose sleep over it at all. My mortgage payment will still be coming out in the morning, you know.

I do find them a little comical sometimes. In the Simpsons episode Homer asks principal Skinner what ride he wants to go on at Epcot:
    Skinner: "The ride of broken dreams."
    Homer: "Oh, you mean the Enron ride."

Its funny, and it does sound like a ride Epcot would have in the first place too. Plus the cracks Homer makes about Epcot the whole episode and the fact that he just had to hop a fence to get into Magic Kingdom. I find it funny. Not to mention the episodes when they are in Duff Gardens or Itchy and Scratchy Land. Those are parks the give a little bit of a nod towards the Disney parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast