• Ewok

Never Traveled With A 5 Month Old and Two Year Old Before Advice?

I will be taking my 5 month old to Disneyland for the first time in a year and my friend will be taking her 2 year old. I have never traveled with someone that young and would love all the advice I can get. Are there any rides I can take my child on? What are fun things a 5 month old would be entertained with? or a 2 year old? Thanks in advance

Number Four

• The doctor is in

Re: Never Traveled With A 5 Month Old and Two Year Old Before Advice?

When I rode Buzz Lightyear last spring there was a family of seven in front of us in line and their oldest child looked like he was no older than 10. The youngest had to be 3-4 months old as it was very small and swaddled with the mother in one of these:

The mother seemed to be managing just fine and from what I could see she was able to go on the ride with no problem. I imagine she was also able to ride the rides in Fantasyland like Peter Pan and Mr. Toad with ease, too. I would imagine any slow paced ride without any restraint or lap bar in place is probably fine to bring a 5-month old on as long as you feel comfortable doing so.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Under that tree again!

So will the kids be 2.5yo and 17 months? or 2yo and 5 months at the time of the visit?

Most rides that have bench seat(Dumbo or Peter Pan), not individual seat(Jumping Jellyfish or Soarin) can fit more than two people. With two that young you may be able to ride in the same vehicle in many cases. Most of the rides have no height limit.

With the 2yo be careful about characters,face charaters are more frienly looking to kids, but young ones can be scared of any charater, even Mickey after watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for a year strait.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Ewok

My child will be 5 months and my friends will be 2.

• Dreaming of next trip

We have taken our 8 month old grand daughter to DL and had a great time. We also took her when she was 3 months old. The key is to be flexible and change your plans to suit the mood of the child. Our granddaughter loved the fuzzy characters like rabbit and pooh. And find out where the infant care centers are. There are many rides that a young child can go on, and many that they can not. As stated above pay attention to the likes and dislikes of the young ones and have a magical time.

• i believe in faeries.

the 5 month old is going to easier than you imagine, i bet... he/she will be happy as long as they are snuggled with with you. the 2 year old is the wildcard, though. I agree with swampy about the characters--- either he/she will love them, or be absolutely terrified.
    with rides, you two will be able to take the little ones on more rides than not, obviously not the roller coaster-y type thrill rides, but almost all fantasyland attractions.
    enjoy your trip! you four will have a great time! lots of little breaks and work at the 2 year old's pace, let them nap in the stroller while you two stop for lunch or go shopping... the memory of their little expressions will be priceless!
    Last edited by Avaren; 02-26-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    the 5 moth old is going to easier than you imagine, i bet... he/she will be happy as long as they are snuggled with with you. the 2 year old is the wildcard, though.
    With the really young ones they tend to be fine with you are holding them and not scared, HM, pirates, Fantasyland Dark Rides, little to no problems. With a 2 year old they are more aware and understand images, and could be scared of more things.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

And don't be afraid to take your time... youngin's can get tired out faster or get over stimulated sometimes. Factor in several breaks, both down time in the park and maybe even a trip back to the motel mid day or early afternoon for some rest and naps for everyone.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Ewok

There are 12 people in our group going how would we handle parent swapping on the rides the kids can't go on?

Number one thing, enjoy your trip!

We've been taking our kids since they were each 10 days (yes I know we're crazy), just be prepared to take lots of breaks and take your cues from the kids. The baby care center is great. You can nurse, feed, change, use the little potties, and get out of the hustle and bustle for a few minutes. It's very calming in there. They also sell some baby supplies if you need something.

You can take the little ones on any rides that don't have a height requirement. The 2 year old might be a little more nervous about things than the 5 month old. My kids prefer to see the characters from a distance so we don't usually wait in line to see them. They are now 4 and almost 8. They do enjoy going on the rides. If you need to do rider switch have the person who's waiting with the little one walk up to the ride entrance and ask for a rider switch pass. That will let the person who didn't get to ride and one other go with them through the fastpass line.

Just remember to take your cues from the kids. If they are feeling tired find a quite spot for a little while so they can relax. Visiting Disneyland with little ones can be a lot of fun although it is different than going without them. Have a good time.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

• Sshhh, being very quiet

My son's first trip was at 10 months old and he's been going ever since.

As someone else said, the Baby Care center is great. Its also good when they are potty training because they have the cutest little toilets just right size for the little ones.

Also, my son had asthma when he was around 1 so I had to bring along a small machine for him and every few hours he needed to use it and the baby center was great for that. There are little curtained off rooms that are perfect for feeding or, in my case, the asthma treatments.

Chances are your 5 month old is just going to sleep a lot. That's nice for travelling because our son just hit the sack the moment the car started back at that age. At Disneyland a 5 month old is still very unaware of their surroundings. They are still at that age where they can fall asleep in your arms just like that. You can still go on most rides though. The 5 month old will be too young to know anything though. However, you can still get a reaction out of them. I took my son to his first Major League baseball game when he was 5 months. He stayed awake until the 8th inning when he fell asleep in my arms. Up until then he just couldn't get enough of how high up we were and how big the stadium was. He'd never seen anything like it before.