Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

HK Disneyland to get Marvel first-What does this mean for Disneyland?

I don't want to pat myself on the back but I called it in previous threads-HK Disneyland will be the first to get Marvel in the parks.
    Hong Kong's Disneyland to Get Marvel Superheroes - China Real Time Report - WSJ

The question at hand is-what does this mean for Disneyland the Original? Will Disney wait to see how the attractions will be accepted first before installing in the Stateside parks?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Re: HK Disneyland to get Marvel first-What does this mean for Disneyland?

It will be difficult to compare really. The Chinese and American markets are very different. Whats accepted in a Disney theme park in China may not be accepted as well in the US and vice versa. Just look at Duffy, a massive success in Tokyo Disneyland and made little impact in the US parks.

Whatever they do here, its going to be big, expensive, and good. TDA and WDI are gonna take their sweet time with whatever happens next at DLR. They are already very careful about what they do with DL, but after the lackluster FL at DW, they are going to make sure they only put out something with huge scale and huge quality.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    It will be difficult to compare really. The Chinese and American markets are very different. Whats accepted in a Disney theme park in China may not be accepted as well in the US and vice versa. Just look at Duffy, a massive success in Tokyo Disneyland and made little impact in the US parks.
    Very true.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    I was going to say the same thing.

• -

Hopefully it will come here sooner rather than later.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Outside of the US, Marvel is the movies and cartoons. Inside the US, Marvel also means comics. So we could very much see a different approach to how it is implemented.

It will be interesting to see what the theme of the land will be in HK. New York? Wakanda?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Hopefully it will come here sooner rather than later.
    Preferably later.

• Banned User

HKDL has very little legacy baggage. Disney can do anything there and they can break the rules. I went there in December. It was a different park although it resembles Disneyland in many ways.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Didnt think Marvel was that big in China.

Guess its better than a chinese knock-off marvel park though
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

ORDDU: If Marvel attractions ever come to Disneyland, it would be such a clash of worlds that Disneyland wouldn't be Disneyland anymore. I don't think Tomorrowland would even be the appropriate place for Marvel. They should have their own separate park so as to not interfere with Mickey Mouse, Princess Aurora or Aladdin.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I think it's to test out new tech and see how adding Marvel "feels" in a Disney Parks....so use HK as a test for other parks...I think if they add an Ironman ride at Disneyland they want to make sure it feels Disney

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: If Marvel attractions ever come to Disneyland, it would be such a clash of worlds that Disneyland wouldn't be Disneyland anymore. I don't think Tomorrowland would even be the appropriate place for Marvel. They should have their own separate park so as to not interfere with Mickey Mouse, Princess Aurora or Aladdin.
    Did Disneyland stop being Disneyland when Star Was was introduced? How about Indiana Jones? No? I think Marvel will be just fine.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Did Disneyland stop being Disneyland when Star Was was introduced? How about Indiana Jones? No? I think Marvel will be just fine.
    Yeah if these boards had been around when Star Tours was in production, I imagine there would've been a huge uproar. I think even I would be a little shocked to hear of an Indiana Jones ride, considering those first two movies could all be rated R. Marvel embodies the values of Disney much more than the hyper-violent and dark Indiana Jones series does, IMO. But of course, there weren't as many people discussing things like that back then so no one could complain. Fifteen years from when the new Iron Man ride opens, it should be as widely-accpeted as Star Tours and Indy. People just are afraid of change.

• Minion

ORDDU: Yes, the addition of Star Wars and Indiana Jones did make Disneyland a bit less Disney because those were not Disney properties--although Star Wars could have been if things had gone differently way back when. But any time they add an attraction based on a movie from a different studio it violates the park. Not saying that the attractions, themselves, aren't good. But at the end of the day they still aren't/weren't Disney themes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast