Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Working at Disneyland Ruin the Magic?

So I just turned 18, and I'm planning to get a job at Disneyland this summer. I love it there so much, and I've been going through withdrawals since my pass expired last month. But my worry is that if I became a CM, and it was my job, I'd have the magic ruined and wouldn't enjoy DL as much anymore. I'm sure it won't happen, but for any CMs out there, did working at DL ruin it for you? Or make you appreciate even more? And I just want some insight into being a CM. What job, besides being a character obviously, provides opportunities to make the most magic for guests? I'm considering applying for retail, so any CMs with experience in that? And lastly, when should I call to apply if I want to start working in June? Thanks

• Minion

Re: Does Working at Disneyland Ruin the Magic?

I don't work at Disneyland in Anaheim, but Disneyland Paris. In some ways it does kindof kill the magic, but in other ways it added fuel to the fire of my interest in Disney theme parks. Seeing all the backstage stuff made it even more interesting for me. I can still go to Disneyland Paris as a guest and have a great time, in some ways its even better visiting then it was before I was a cast member. Character hosts get a lot of interaction time with guests, although I'm not sure if you can just apply to be a character host.

I've worked at WDW and I agree with the statement above. It does ruin the magic a little, but it makes you appreciate it a little more.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

I've worked at Disneyland. I'm not going to lie, some parts were ruined for me. However, I still love the place and overall, I had a fun time working at the park.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Greetings, Program!

I worked there at age 19 and the magic was not ruined for me. I find myself missing those days but unfortunately being a CM doesn't pays the bills of a 43-year-old.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Dont make me unfriend you

It's different for everybody. I know some people who had bad experiences as a CM and it has soured them on Disney. I'm not one of those people. Sure, there were times when I wasn't happy with my manager or the management in general. But I loved telling people that I worked at Disneyland and telling people some of the things I've learned as CM.

As a CM, it was fun being able to take some dates to DL using my gate pass. (This in the days before everybody had AP's)

I take my kids once or twice a year still now. Overall, I look back on my time as a CM with fond memories.

• Just drawn that way

I loved it, and it does take away from it a bit, but I never let it spoil the place for me.

Don't become jaded and bitter and you may be able to save some of that magic.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Cherry Tart

Yep. But not always in a bad way.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• Minion

It really didn't ruin the magic for me either. I found it fascinating seeing the process from behind the scenes, but when I walked out on stage I was usually able to put myself in the place of the guests and understand their appreciation for the park and the fantasy surrounding it from the guest's point of view. When I was on stage with them, I knew what was going on behind the scenes and I knew the workings of what was going on with regard to the attractions I worked. But I was also able to engage with them as well on that level at which they were appreciating the experience. I left the park with very positive memories overall.

I don't think working at Disney should ruin the magic. It's like me, I work in theater, but it doesn't spoil it for me when I see a theatrical effect, or a show. Sure, I know how it's done, but you admire how well it's done, rather than being mystified at how.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

I've been a CM for a little over 2 years now. I still love working at Disney and I love everything about the parks. The magic hasn't been ruined for me.

Everytime I go into the parks as a Guest, I'm still amazed by everything just as I've always been. I would say that the big difference is that I know a lot of the details about the park that most Guests don't know, like where CM breakrooms are, as well as the fact that I am now friends with other CMs in the parks who I'll either randomly see working or I'll intentionally plan my day around their work schedule so that I can stop by their location and say hi.

With that said, it's not that way for everyone. Some people do get a bit jaded after seeing a different side to the Resort. It's really all about your attitude. If you keep a positive attitude both as a CM and as a Guest, then you'll love being a CM! If you let the negative parts of being a CM get to you (such as Guests who are rude or complain at you excessively, grumpy CMs in your location, etc), then it can ruin your experience as a Guest or cause you to enjoy the parks less in general.

Whenever I'm "working" (honestly I love what I do, so it doesn't always feel like work!), I focus on the fact that I'm there to serve the Guests as best as I can and provide them with an excellent experience. And then when I'm visiting as a Guest, I can sort of "switch" from CM mode to Guest mode, meaning that I can just go in and have fun, regardless of how my last shift went. But fortunately I can't really say that I've had very many negative experiences as a CM (or a Guest, for that matter), so the magic is still there for me!
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• World of Color

Quote Originally Posted by MrsRider29 View Post
    So I just turned 18, and I'm planning to get a job at Disneyland this summer. I love it there so much, and I've been going through withdrawals since my pass expired last month. But my worry is that if I became a CM, and it was my job, I'd have the magic ruined and wouldn't enjoy DL as much anymore. I'm sure it won't happen, but for any CMs out there, did working at DL ruin it for you? Or make you appreciate even more? And I just want some insight into being a CM. What job, besides being a character obviously, provides opportunities to make the most magic for guests? I'm considering applying for retail, so any CMs with experience in that? And lastly, when should I call to apply if I want to start working in June? Thanks
    I'm in the same situation I will turn 18vin June I would like to work there fir the Christmas season.

I worked at two different amusement parks one summer many moons ago. One was a very brief and unpleasant experience (food) while the other was a longer and better experience (ride operator, though hard work in the hot sun). Looking back, it was the *best* thing I could have done with that summer since I had dreamed of working in one (on rides) since I first went to one. As someone already mentioned, there are jobs you can't or won't do later in life so take the opportunity now if you can. And I can still visit both of those parks and my opinion of them has very little to do with my work experiences there.

How about instead of seeing it as "working at DL ruin the magic" you see it as "working at DL now part of creating the magic"? for others and even for yourself? If you let it be ruined for you at least you're still creating it for others. I've never worked at any theme park but I guess that is the attitude I'd try to have. Enjoyment from the enjoyment of others is always nice.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

I am currently a cast member there, for me it didnt ruin the magic in ways that are weird to explain. I used to be an AP for YEARS before i got hired in, but when i became a CM, i understood more of why things are done the way the park does them, i used to be that annoying breaking the rules kind a AP, and as a CM i understood why APs are refered to as Annual p*******S. I do not visit the park often, or even at all. I learned though when i was getting fed up with the park, the way i could regain my love for the place is to visit it as a guest and enjoy the park myself. If you work there you will have a blast (depending on where you work). Me working in attractions, i have a hand full of stories, the good, magical, bad, and downright nasty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast