Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Aladdin show's Carpet

Quote Originally Posted by CourtneyDax View Post
    I'm surprised as well at this news. I guess they figured out a way to make it 100% safe again!
    NOTHING is 100% safe, including rides that suspend guests in the air every day, like Peter Pan's Flight or Soarin' Over California. Living your life is always dangerous to some degree--you could be killed!

Quote Originally Posted by CourtneyDax View Post
    That video where they're upside down in the carpet still scares me.
    Not to be callous toward the actors, but weren't they equipped with safety harnesses? Watching the video would give the impression that they were literally hanging on for their lives, but I don't think that their lives were ever really in danger (even if the actors, particularly the one playing Jasmine, felt that way at the time). If somebody knows for a fact that they did come close to falling if their arms had given out and very possibly dying, then please let the rest of us know.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by Herc View Post
    Does anyone think the show will be replaced once Aladdin hits Broadway? Coming to Broadway Spring 2014.
    Nope, I don't think so. Mostly because the show going to Broadway has nothing to do with the one in DCA. It's the full-length version that debuted in Seattle a while back.

I noticed the Aladdin and jasmine body doubles heading down the stairs from the carpet area up above. looks like they might just be running through the steps for when the scene is returned soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    Not to be callous toward the actors, but weren't they equipped with safety harnesses?

One of the managers assured me they were strapped in *very* securely. They were not going to fall, even if it felt like it at the time to the actors on the carpet. They were rescued according to the plan when they got stuck. They have plans in place for things like this, and hope they never need them. But if they do, they're ready.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• A Weather Eye Open

I am told the carpet flew during the 2:25 show (second show) today. I saw the first show and now I am back to witness it in person for the third show! I will try to grab pics, but i only have my phone. There is still one more show after this at 6:25 if anyone wants to run to the park tonight.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Banned User

MouseWait is reporting that the carpet did return today. Can't believe they let it run without it. Shameful.

I don't consider making the performers' safety the first priority "shameful". The absence of the carpet was not a cost saving scheme. Ever since the incident, a lot of discussion, redesigning, operational adjustments and tests took place. This litigious culture of ours forces these things to take a long time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    The new OHSA required guard rails around the carpet shouldn't be too obtrusive.
    At 21" and 42", and with a continuous "grabbable" handrailing.

• Disneyland History Lover

I'm glad to hear the flying carpet is back. The show hasn't been quite the same without it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WorldFair View Post
    I don't consider making the performers' safety the first priority "shameful". The absence of the carpet was not a cost saving scheme. Ever since the incident, a lot of discussion, redesigning, operational adjustments and tests took place. This litigious culture of ours forces these things to take a long time.
    I'm not talking about the safety, for which I of course agree is a priority. But the show was unacceptably compromised because of it. I'm saying that running it without a suitable substitute for the scene was an embarrassment. The amount of time it took to fix required restaging.

• Ravenclaw

The carpet effect was tested and ready to go back into performances the day after the incident. What the safety team was waiting for was technical services' assurance that such a thing could never happen again. They responded that a failure such as the one that happened was included in the original operational documentation as a possibility. A safety system was designed to prevent injury to the performers, crew, and audience. The worst-case scenario did happen, and the safety system worked as it should have. The way it was designed, the technical operations team could not assure 100% that it couldn't happen again. That's just the nature of live performance. They prepared for the worst and when it did happen they were ready.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Found a video on youtube, uploaded by tadpohl23

The Magic Carpet Returns!!! - YouTube

- Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Say no to screens

I saw it today
    it looks like a buffed up version
    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

So glad to hear it's back! It has surely been missed!

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    I saw it today
    it looks like a buffed up version
    So this whole time they were letting Carpet workout so she wouldn't tire out as easily?

SQQQUUUUeEEEEEE!!!!!! So glad it's back. I might have to make a trip to the parks for pictures and to celebrate the return of the carpet!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast