Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• PoTC Addicted

begging to be let in the door at 33 Royal

Re: Aladdin show's Carpet

Quote Originally Posted by 257 Mouse View Post
    I'm so glad that I have not been paying too much attention to Micechat for the past few weeks. I knew nothing about the carpet coming back and when I saw the show yesterday it was truly a shock and a treat to be surprised by the flying carpet.
    It was so much better even than the very first time I saw the show years ago because back then I knew there was going to be a flying carpet and to watch for it. This time as usual I braced myself for the stupid carpet- less “Whole New World” number, but instead I was amazed like I never could have been had I known the carpet was going to fly.
    This, of course, once again raises the age-old question: does TMI ruin the magic?
    I felt the exact same way. The Aladdin show is one of my favourite things at DCA, and I had NO idea that the carpet was back. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye (I was sitting right next to the ASL interpreters, who are, for the record, AWESOME. If you haven't had a chance to sit there, DO IT!), and thought I had to have gone crazy, because the carpet hadn't worked in YEARS. When it actually ran, there was an audible gasp from the theater, and more cheers than I ever remember for the carpet before.

I've seen the show so many times that I can tell when the actors improvise or miss a line, and I think that yesterday was the most "magic" I had ever felt from the show.

Saw it today, I didn't know Carpet was back in the air.
    Great! Better than ever!
    I just love this show, everything about it is just wonderful and the carpet really zips around... is it just me? or is it faster and more agile than before?

TheDessie
    "I felt the exact same way. The Aladdin show is one of my favourite things at DCA, and I had NO idea that the carpet was back. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye (I was sitting right next to the ASL interpreters, who are, for the record, AWESOME. If you haven't had a chance to sit there, DO IT!), and thought I had to have gone crazy, because the carpet hadn't worked in YEARS. When it actually ran, there was an audible gasp from the theater, and more cheers than I ever remember for the carpet before.

I've seen the show so many times that I can tell when the actors improvise or miss a line, and I think that yesterday was the most "magic" I had ever felt from the show."

I agree, everything about this show is amazing and the performers, impressive and flawless... we were closer than usual today, great to see more of facial expressions, Jasmines look of disdain was priceless, Aladdin, well, everyone was great! What self control to not begin to laugh while Genie carries on...
    every time I hear a rumor of plans to discontinue the show I want to tell the decision makers, come sit in the audience... we usually visit Sundays, but, the theater is always full when we attend and the audience responses after the show... awestruck... enthusiastic... singing the songs or repeating Genie's lines all the way out.

We did the same thing, people were looking up, I was thinking, awwww... they are looking for the carpet... ;-) surprised me ;-)
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 03-31-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Quote Originally Posted by CourtneyDax View Post
    I'm surprised as well at this news. I guess they figured out a way to make it 100% safe again! That video where they're upside down in the carpet still scares me.

I can only imagine, thinking, they know there are fail safes, and clearly they are strapped in, but every human reflex has got to be in a panic.... I'd bet it was not something they ever practiced, like, ok, let's flip the carpet over so you know what it feels like and we can practice getting you out....
    and when you hang upside down long enough, it is not a good thing...
    I hope they had a good bonus, honors of some sort ;-)
    courage under..... well, not under fire but... under carpet?
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 03-31-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

We haven't gotten anywhere close to TMI - Some of it is getting a little close to revealing the Magic and you should skip on to the next post now... But you have to do certain things to make a live stage show work. And I'll have to get over there and see this show again.

For one thing, it looks from Disneyland1951's post (and his still frame grabs with the magical Telestrator yellow lines...) like they redesigned the Flying Carpet to lower the Center of Gravity, and that's a good thing. Might have added some ballast down low in the structure for added insurance, too.

And I've sat there and listened very closely - the singing in that scene is not tracked (IE pre-recorded) and switched
    from Live to Recorded at that point or you'd hear a subtle change in the audio as they switched back and forth, and I've got darned good ears. Even if you tracked those two performers earlier that day or within the last week or two, it would be detectable - all they have to do is move the mike pickup on their cheek a few millimeters, or use a different one, and it sounds different.

What they are most likely doing is having the principle performers continue to sing their parts from Backstage as they prepare to come out again after the Flying Carpet docks. The other logical possibility is the entire musical number has been pre-tracked by these performers and the singing switched over at the very start of the music bed, and they switch back to the Live wireless mikes for the speaking scenes that might have some Ad-Libbing involved.

The tell on that is the Timing - It probably takes a good ten to fifteen minutes to strap in the Flying Carpet's Aladdin and Jasmine and do the safety checks, they've got full-body harnesses on that have to be buckled in to the Flying Carpet at four to six points each, then covered with the costume pieces. They go Onstage and do their flight and lip-sync to the main performers downstairs. And a good five minutes to safety off the Carpet and get them off to head back downstairs.

Look at the recordings again - they go over the parapet and "fly off" on the stage as the mist comes up, and about 10 seconds later they're flying out over the audience. And about 10 seconds to switch back. There's no other way.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• New Mommy

I was there Easter Sunday, but we only had a limited amount of time in the park so we didn't catch Aladdin. This is a Must Do on our trip at the end of the month!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345