Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Joe Flowers

Joe's 2013 Minnie's Moonlit Madness review - an after hours Disneyland Scavenger hunt

After an 18 month hiatus, the Cast Member scavenger hunt at Disneyland was back!
    The theme that we assumed from the registration packets was that this is a musical theme.

So back when the four of us went to the Pantages to see Peter Pan, Ruston came up with the fantastic idea that we should all be Dapper Dans! After Theresa and I found the vests and hats on Amazon, Ruston completed the look by finding matching hat bands and arm cuffs. We looked totally awesome!

On Feb 28th, the big day was finally here. After sitting in terrible Los Angeles traffic, we finally made it to the parking structure.
    A little bit of costume prep, pinning on our arm bands and trying not to stab Theresa with a safety pin.

First up was the captain's registration table where we picked up our armbands.

There are a bunch of teams all lined up and ready to go. The staging area was in the Mickey and Friends parking structure. From here, we went through a security bag check and entered the park backstage.

We only saw a few other teams dressed up. The Sound of Color team did a great job getting into the spirit. Mostly we saw coordinating t-shirts. We did see a few other interesting costumes though. There was a group of Beagle Boys (I wonder if they saw our costumes from last time), Pirates followed by Jack Sparrow, and a few super hero teams.

Unfortunately there were multiple signs all over the area stating "No Photography Backstage" and cast members were all over the place making sure people went the right way.
    Also different from the last couple years we've done it, the trivia portion was being held backstage. Guess that means no photos of other people in costume, or video recording the ceremony.

As 9pm rolled around, our conductor Dylan for the evening came out to welcome us. He always starts out with a bunch of bad jokes. I'll try to add a few of those later as I remember them.

Minnie came out and scolded Dylan for the bad jokes.
    Then they welcomed a representative from Pacific Symphony and gave her a check for $5000. This is what all our registration fees went to support.

Then it was time to start the event. It's time for trivia!
    We've always wondered what the policy was for googling the answers as it was going on. Well when the trivia started this time, tons of phones came out and we even saw a laptop. Alright, we'll wonder no more.
    We started to answer the first 20 questions or so without help, but when we looked back and saw pretty much every team doing it, we also got out the phone.
    Ruston did an amazing job with trivia. Even without help, we answered at least 15 of the first 20 questions right.

Here's a small sampling of the questions.
    1. What instrument does louis the alligator play in princess and the frog?
    ukulele
    bass
    tuba
    trumpet
    xylophone

2. What musical sequence from The Muppet Movie was performed live on a results episode of ABCs dancing with the stars in 2011?
    man or muppet
    me party
    life's a happy song
    rainbow connection
    manamana

3. Which disney full length animated feature contains the highest number of songs?
    princess and the frog (10)
    beauty and the beast (8)
    alice in wonderland (18)
    snow white and the seven dwarfs
    home on the range (8)

4. The videopolis passport was an after 5pm ticket lasting all summer long in 1985. How much was it?
    $25
    $30
    $35
    $40
    5 euro

5. In the music video Kokomo featuring the Beach Boys what WDW resort was featured in the background though unopened at the time?
    polynesian
    coronado springs
    grand floridian
    wilderness lodge
    caribbean beach

6. What was the first silly symphonies cartoon to be released?
    skeleton dance
    three little pigs
    the merry dwarves
    the ugly duckling
    the tortoise and the hare

7. What was the first disney tune to that proved popular to be released as a record and sheet music
    some day my prince will come
    when you wish upon a star
    give a little whistle
    who's afraid of the big bad wolf Oh rats, my bad. (rh)
    the ugly bug ball

8. What ballet was imitated in the show one man's dream?
    giselle
    romeo and juliet
    sleeping beauty
    kopamia
    swan lake

9. What familiar disney tune plays on the ship horn to signal departure on the disney cruise line ships
    mickey mouse club march
    whistle while you work
    when you wish upon a star
    under the sea
    minnie's yoohoo

10. What solo song does trixie sing in country bear jamboree?
    all the guys that turn me on turn me down
    heart, we did all that we could
    tears will be the chaser for my wine
    life's no picnic without you
    the hibernating blues

From there, we were released into Toon Town Square to hook up. That's another fun part of the event. All the team members are tied on to a rope that's less than 6 feet long. You spend the entire race hooked together.

And Minnie happened to be waiting for us in Toon Town. Dylan joined her shortly afterwards. He asked if we were all ready to open our first clue envelope and hear our musical clue. He pulled out a kazoo and played the Mickey Mouse club theme and told us we were off. We opened out clue and found that we had a red kazoo.

Wandering around the sides of the entire group were Disney Cast Choir members with kazoos. There were all sorts of color shirts they were wearing along with the light up glow sticks. We found someone who had a red kazoo and red clothes and listened to them as they played "Casey Junior's coming down the track". From there we were off!

I think this is where most people missed the first clue. They wrote down the song that was being played instead of going to the location they heard in the song. We moved quickly as a group over to Casey Junior and found this sign. Write "Clarabelle Cow" on your envelope.

From there, we made a beeline to the madness that is clue central. Imagine 350 teams of 4, all tied together, trying to navigate through the small area that is just 1/3 the sidewalk around the hub.

We met our awesome clue giver Jerry! We learned his name as soon as we met him so we could start yelling it whenever we were on our way back.

Huge thanks to all the VoluntEARs who help run this event.

Our clues took us all over the place. We went to New Orleans Square twice, King Arthur's Carrousel, Tiki Room, Golden Horseshoe, the Refreshment Center.
    I might post some of the clues in a later post.

Solving a clue about the shields around the carrousel.

You only get one clue at a time, so we were constantly back and forth at Clue Central seeing Jerry to get our next clue.

The Disney Choir had a table for a bake sale, along with snacks and drinks. We were so busy running around though that we didn't have a chance to stop.

Just a few of the other teams we were dodging all night.

And with 15 minutes to spare, would you look at that? A completely full lanyard punched out. We got all our questions finished!

A quick wardrobe adjustment and we were ready to take some awesome group photos.

Next we headed to Main Street to take a few more.

And we ran into a few of Ruston's friends and got some group photos.

And we even ran into The Sound of Color and got a group photo with them too.

What an awesome night! We were tired and a little sweaty from all the running around, but we had an absolute blast!

So how did we do? Official results won't come out until Monday, so I guess we'll find out then.

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

Re: Joe's 2013 Minnie's Moonlit Madness review - an after hours Disneyland Scavenger

Oh man, that looks like so much fun....and you guys look fantastic! I'm sure all of us "wanna-be cast members" can't wait for more......

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Re: Joe's 2013 Minnie's Moonlit Madness review - an after hours Disneyland Scavenger

How fun and sounded like you all had a great time!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• i believe in faeries.

that looked like SO much fun! thanks for sharing

• Future Imagineer! =D

Oh my goodness! How fun! Thanks for sharing!
    You four always have awesome stories!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What great fun! I'm glad they still do this for the CM's... it looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing what you could and good luck!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

It's too bad you guys never have any fun or get to do anything special at Disneyland.

Your year has been an embarrassment of riches. Thanks for sharing.

• formerly very helpful

I really want to be you guys!

• Under that tree again!

Good luck on your score!
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Oh wow, that looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Excellent report like always!

• Parking Lot > DCA

You. Are. The. Coolest!

I love your trip reports! As I write this I am sitting in a hotel in Downtown Seattle explaining to my friend that your trip reports not only consist of amazing content but make me feel like I was with you the whole time.

Thanks for sharing your awesome memories with us!

• Joe Flowers

I'm glad you enjoy the trip reports. I really enjoy writing them too.

Guess what....

Drumroll please......

The results are in and we came in 3rd place out of 358 teams! Wow!

Whether is was doing a word search puzzle in the Golden Horseshoe, looking for store signs throughout New Orleans Square, looking up viral videos on youtube to answer Disney questions, or scouring the Tiki Room for plaques with clues, we all able to contribute. The four of us make a great team!

While we were waiting for the trivia portion to begin, a Disney cast member who writes for the Disney blog came over and interviewed us. One of the questions she asked was "Are you here to win or have fun?" Our answer was, "To win! And have fun doing it."

Amazingly, the first place team only missed two trivia questions and got everything else right. Impressive! We have something to shoot for next time.

Great job guys!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post

The results are in and we came in 3rd place out of 358 teams! Wow!

Hey, congratulations!!! Are there prizes in the Minnie's Moonlit Madness?

• Selfie Expert

Amazing!! Thank you again for sharing!! I've decided you have the best life, ever. I'm so glad you choose to share it with us here on MC!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Hey, congratulations!!! Are there prizes in the Minnie's Moonlit Madness?
    From what I understand, there will be medals! I'm super excited! I'm not sure when we'll get them, but I'll come back and post a photo here when we get them.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Amazing!! Thank you again for sharing!! I've decided you have the best life, ever. I'm so glad you choose to share it with us here on MC!
    We do always try to have something interesting going on! It's great to have fun friends who are willing to go along with you for the ride!

I'm enjoying all your Club 33 photos in your post here. I'm looking forward to seeing your Dapper Day photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast