View Poll Results: What movie do you want for the expansion?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oz

30 29.41%
  • Lone Ranger

61 59.80%
  • Both

11 10.78%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Wizard of Oz vs. Lone Ranger for Circle D/BTR BBQ Expansion

ORDDU: Billina was actually quite funny and entertaining. They were smart to include her since she was from the original story. Fairuza Balk as Dorothy was fine, too--although not as charasmatic as Judy Garland. But, then, Judy Garland is a tough act to follow. At least Fairuza was closer to the right age for Dorothy from the books. Return to Oz was better than some give it credit for. Comparing it to M-G-M's Wizard of Oz may be a natural thing to do, but it's also unfair. A lot of talent and hard work went into making the film. To dismiss it so readily most likely means the original stories were never read or appreciated by those doing the dismissing. But Return to Oz has a cult following and it's good that Disney made the film.

Western River Expedition

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

GEYSER MOUNTAIN sounds more fun. But if it does become OZ there's a great scene where the hot air balloon serves as a canoe down a river rapids and over a waterfall.

Western River Expedition would be too politically incorrect in 2013.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Lone Ranger as one of many characters in an expanded area that could pay tribute to other Western legends such as Davy Crockett, Zorro, Pecos Bill, the characters from the American Legends shorts, etc. Real western characters, not Sheriff Woody. I wouldn't want an area just dedicated to Lone Ranger though.
    Good ideas man.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Billina was actually quite funny and entertaining. They were smart to include her since she was from the original story. Fairuza Balk as Dorothy was fine, too--although not as charasmatic as Judy Garland. But, then, Judy Garland is a tough act to follow. At least Fairuza was closer to the right age for Dorothy from the books. Return to Oz was better than some give it credit for. Comparing it to M-G-M's Wizard of Oz may be a natural thing to do, but it's also unfair. A lot of talent and hard work went into making the film. To dismiss it so readily most likely means the original stories were never read or appreciated by those doing the dismissing. But Return to Oz has a cult following and it's good that Disney made the film.
    Maybe you have to be Wicked to appreciate it?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    To dismiss it so readily most likely means the original stories were never read or appreciated by those doing the dismissing.
    The original works were very well done. It's the poor amalgam of two books and the poor choice of the removal of some characters only to leave in an annoying talking chicken that I have a problem with.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   

I have not seen the Lone Ranger yet, only clips. If I see him and Tonto riding the Western River Ride with Cascade Peak restored, and floating their horses through Rivers of America and Discovery Bay, I would pick that. I love L. Frank Baum Oz characters which Walt purchased to work with and develop, but don't think the movie is in that flavor. Someday they may be in Fantasyland or as their own OZ Land. PD

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DisWedWay View Post
    I love L. Frank Baum Oz characters which Walt purchased to work with and develop, but don't think the movie is in that flavor. Someday they may be in Fantasyland or as their own OZ Land. PD
    Hopefully not in their own land. Maybe some walk around characters in Fantasyland or maybe the Emerald City gets added to Storybookland, but that's it. Certainly not an entire land for this.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

According to Al Lutz, they are considering adding an OZ themed land behind the berm, between Toon Town and the Festival area.

L Frank Baum's books and characters have a lot of fans, but based on the latest movie, I can't say they've got their own "Harry Potter." This won't be 1/10th the Potter phenomenon.

So in the end, it probably won't get built.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    According to Al Lutz, they are considering adding an OZ themed land behind the berm, between Toon Town and the Festival area.

L Frank Baum's books and characters have a lot of fans, but based on the latest movie, I can't say they've got their own "Harry Potter." This won't be 1/10th the Potter phenomenon.

So in the end, it probably won't get built.
    I mean Disney could have it's own Potter type series...if they TRIED a little harder and relied more on story and characters then CGI (that doesn't even look real)
    The Muppets, Toy Story, Up and Ralph should tell them it's about the characters not the effects that make people care about movies and want to see more of them

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Lone Ranger as one of many characters in an expanded area that could pay tribute to other Western legends such as Davy Crockett, Zorro, Pecos Bill, the characters from the American Legends shorts, etc. Real western characters, not Sheriff Woody. I wouldn't want an area just dedicated to Lone Ranger though.
    Well put. I heartily agree.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Besides yourself, how many people actually remember Return to Oz with that classic world famous actress Fairuza Balk? Probably not too many. Not to mention it was a terrible movie. No matter how much money Oz the Great and Powerful makes, it will never take the place or have the longevity of the MGM movie.
    Actually, I very much enjoyed Return to Oz. To each his own, I suppose. However, much of the criticism I remember seemed to stem from comparrisons to the MGM classic. This goes to show how the movie really was doomed from the beginning. Or at least, was facing an uphill struggle for acceptence. Big rule: Don't remake (or follow up) a classic! There would have been, for many people, no way to follow up the original film. Many of the criticisms the movie faced, such as too dark, no music, very little of the familiar characters, serious in tone, were all aspects I liked about it.
    I think that OTGAP will already have many of these same hurtles, since it's a followup to an untouchable classic.

Did anyone go see Oz:TGAP?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Did anyone go see Oz:TGAP?
    I did, and I quite enjoyed it, but I don't really think its presence is needed at Disneyland, especially not for a whole land/sub-land.

I would rather have something more original to be honest. If they did ever make an Oz land I would rather have it be a small add-on land to Fantasyland. Similar to that of the Fantasy Faire, but themed to Glinda's Castle maybe? IF they did put Oz in the Frontierland area then they could do a carnival similar to the opening of the movie and behind the berm could be Oz? But I would love to see the Emerald City and/or Glinda's Castle added to Storybookland. (they could also throw in Rapunzal's tower while their at it.)

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast