Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Keep finding more reasons in favor of letting our AP's expire

I got my first AP back in 1983 and have had one every year except or the 13 years I worked at the park. While that will change this June when we let the passes expire. We use our APs by visiting for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Mostly just walking around enjoying the sights and a little snacking. The crowds make strolling around the park nearly impossible, after 30 years of over exposure to Disneyland the rides have little allure unless there is no line and the price increases though we can afford them are a little hard to swallow. I can not remember the last time we spent the whole.day in the park without being with family. We recently sat down and weighed the pros and cons of renewing the passes and decided our money could be better enjoyed some where else. So this June we can join the growing group of ex APers and have one less thing I need to carry around in my wallet.

• No Disassemble!

We just downgraded from Premium to Deluxe last month. Despite the difference being only about $30 savings a month for the three of us there is no value in going on Saturdays anymore due to the parks being constantly crowded on Saturdays (mornings in particular) nearly all of 2012. This year may be our last time to renew depending on whether the crowds on Thursdays (when my daughter's school has minimum days) are as manageable and whether early Sunday mornings are tolerable too.

I went to USH two weeks ago for the first time in 7 years and I'm pleasently surprised by the value we get from their "get the rest of the year free" pass. Knott's impressed me as well in 2011 with their plans to add new rides and refurbish the rest of the park. With other options available I'm a lot less anxious to give up my DL passes should our expectations not be met this year.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

I love this post because it shows the free market working as it should.

Disney is looking to obtain the maximum amount for its product that the market will allow and the customer is looking for maximum value for their entertainment dollar. I believe Disney still thinks the market price point is higher while it appears many veteran passholders who are chiming in here consider the value not worth the price.

Again, interesting.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post

Disney is looking to obtain the maximum amount for its product that the market will allow and the customer is looking for maximum value for their entertainment dollar. I believe Disney still thinks the market price point is higher while it appears many veteran passholders who are chiming in here consider the value not worth the price.

Again, interesting.
    For myself personally its not a matter of declining value compared to the price. I still think its a great value as far as entertainment goes, its just that my personal finances have changed, since my husband is now unemployed, and at 60 years old the chances of finding another job right now are slim. My disposable income is now more limited, and the money I would of used to get the AP will now have to go to more mundane things. Like... food.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Again, interesting.
    Couldn't agree more. Each time they raise the ticket prices I thought it might stop the craziness. The opening of Carsland has created the "need" for a hopper for non-regular visitors.

I think they can fill the parks at $200 for 1 day park hopper and $450 for a three day. I think we will see this in less than 18 months.
    This will make AP current pricing way out of line. I think after this year, they know remaining premium holders are their true hard-core fans. I wouldn't be shocked at all by $1250 for premiums by 2014. The parks will still be packed at that price point. I don't blame them at all for maximizing profits.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Each time they raise the ticket prices I thought it might stop the craziness. The opening of Carsland has created the "need" for a hopper for non-regular visitors.

I think they can fill the parks at $200 for 1 day park hopper and $450 for a three day. I think we will see this in less than 18 months.
    This will make AP current pricing way out of line. I think after this year, they know remaining premium holders are their true hard-core fans. I wouldn't be shocked at all by $1250 for premiums by 2014. The parks will still be packed at that price point. I don't blame them at all for maximizing profits.
    Agreed. I'm not one of those many people, at least on this forum, that will defend Disney with all their might no matter what the situation or the subject. But in this case, I absolutely agree with them. The parks seem to be getting over-crowded on more and more days, and the answer to that is to raise prices, pure and simple. To ensure long-term profit growth it would be in their best interests to take some of their ever increasing profit and invest it in better employee pay/benefits and training as well as enhancements to the park. But whether they do that or not, it is completely logical that they continue to raise prices, especially on the AP's, at this point in time.

I hope they keep raising the price of the annual passes. It looks like it's starting to thin the crowd a little bit. But there's still more thinning to be done and prices to jack up.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Well I'm glad that I was able to justify the purchase of a Deluxe AP when I visited Disneyland in January, because it will allow me a total of about 15 days in the parks over a year's time. Well worth the cost for me. Then we will see what happens next year.

The thing is is that there are a whole lot of people who will continue to buy regardless.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• No Disassemble!

I believe Disney still thinks the market price point is higher while it appears many veteran passholders who are chiming in here consider the value not worth the price.
    Hit the nail on the head right here. I believe Disney has a correct price point given that at the moment there are far more new annual passholders (1-3 years and typically locals that would have no affinity for the parks otherwise) that have an inflated impression of the value of an AP. Disney's slowly putting the squeeze on the passholders in anticipation that the new passholder may still be bewildered by the value that they perceive they're getting when in reality the veterans are easily seeing the pinch put on them. Last year Micechatters were posting threads considering giving up their AP's. This year they're are many threads where people are announcing they've given up the passes. I wonder what kinds of threads we'll be seeing next year? Hmm.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

We had an AP, off and on, from 1985 until 2010. My experience has been, that with young children, the cost and crowds are a concern. With older children or adults, the crowds are not a big deal. When my daughter was a teenager, we would go in the evening to walk around and buy food and souvenirs (with the AP discount, of course). If it was crowded, we would not go on many or any rides. Younger children want to go on a lot of rides. They also get tired and fussy, so the crowds are more of a concern. When my grand sons get older, we may get passes, again.

My dad and I got Deluxe passes this last year for the first time. He decided not to renew his and I upgraded to a Premier Pass $849 for this year because of races I am doing here and in Florida. We live in Northern CA so we don't go often. The passes have paid for themselves but just barely. We saved a little but it was mostly a wash. We made the mistake as well of going for one of the Halloween parties in September and it was a zoo. We are going to drop back to once every other year at Christmas. I will probably have to buy one more pass next year since I will be doing the WDW 1/2 in January and the Tink 1/2 in January to get another Coast To Coast medal. Over all I feel that Disney has gotten over priced for what they offer. We stay on property and resort costs have gone up as well. The economy is still not good so to me they are gouging guests to pay for Cars Land and Buena Vista Street as well as the new Fantasyland in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimbob View Post
    The economy is still not good so to me they are gouging guests to pay for Cars Land and Buena Vista Street as well as the new Fantasyland in Florida.

Disney is not gouging anyone. Again, it is a free and open market and they can and will charge what the market will bear. It is not an essential service so if you do not think what you receive is worth the money you give up for it then don't buy.

Would you deliberately sell your house below its market value because you think the economy isn't good?

• Hooterville, USA

Disney is not gouging anyone. Again, it is a free and open market and they can and will charge what the market will bear. It is not an essential service so if you do not think what you receive is worth the money you give up for it then don't buy.

Would you deliberately sell your house below its market value because you think the economy isn't good?
    Yeah, they are.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Yeah, they are.

Fair enough.

I expect then that when you go to work everyday that you only accept 75 or 80% of the market value for your services. To do otherwise would be gouging your employer.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast