Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Keep finding more reasons in favor of letting our AP's expire

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Disney is not gouging anyone. Again, it is a free and open market and they can and will charge what the market will bear. It is not an essential service so if you do not think what you receive is worth the money you give up for it then don't buy.

Would you deliberately sell your house below its market value because you think the economy isn't good?

The Price Increase over the past year is indeed GOUGING (With a capital G-O-U-G-I-N-G). IT'S an EXCESSIVELY HIGH percentage increase. - Yeah, that IS GOUGING.

And all while the economy is still stinking. And yes, Several people have been forced into selling their houses recently, below what they believe is a fair price.

Hahahah - DL is FAR from being a FREE market -hahahahaha

• Tourist

Some of these posts remind me of a quote attributed to Yogi Berra: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Disneyland is an entertainment luxury, not one of life's necessities. Whenever we are faced with excessive price increases in things like housing, food, health care, etc., I might call that "gouging." But luxury items are priced according to what customers/consumers are willing to pay for something they don't really need. And despite the recent increases, there seem to be a lot of DL guests willing to pay the current prices.

It's likely I'll never have any sympathy for people who complain that luxury items are too expensive.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    The Price Increase over the past year is indeed GOUGING (With a capital G-O-U-G-I-N-G). IT'S an EXCESSIVELY HIGH percentage increase.
    Excessively high percentage? By whose definition? Yours? Maybe you can tell us what an acceptable percentage would be.

And BTW, the term "gouging" usually refers to an essential (as in essential to life) commodity. Disneyland is an amusement park--and going there as a paying customer is certainly not essential to anyone's life, by any definition.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yeah the prices seem high but for the amount you should be able to go...like once a month..its a steal

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Steve, c'mon, of all people, you've certainly seen all the numbers and the comparisons that came out when DL raised their prices last year. And for everyone else - just do a search in the chat topics, as Micechatter's have talked about this already. In fact several other articles here at MiceChat made note of that being the Largest jump in price that the Passes have seen.

• Closed Account

Aladdin, a high price increase on a luxury item, no matter how large, simply cannot in good conscience be labled as "gouging."

It's certainly far higher than I would be willing to pay. But then again, so is a Lamborghini.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Excessively high percentage? By whose definition? Yours? Maybe you can tell us what an acceptable percentage would be.

And BTW, the term "gouging" usually refers to an essential (as in essential to life) commodity. Disneyland is an amusement park--and going there as a paying customer is certainly not essential to anyone's life, by any definition.

Nailed it.

Just because something is priced higher than you want to pay or the price has risen faster than you think it should does not make it gouging. The solution is very simple, if the price is higher than you want to pay then don't go. If enough people feel the same way then the price will come down. But conversely if Disney continues to attract massive amounts of business then it is priced correctly or maybe even under the market.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yeah the prices seem high but for the amount you should be able to go...like once a month..its a steal
    Are you serious? It must be nice to be rich...

And Steve, I am a little surprised by your stance on this issue. But oh well. There are some things that I am for or against too which would seem to be going against the way I usually view things.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Everybody's math problem in this situation is different. You take the total cost of your annual pass purchase, and you divide how many days you used the pass. That boils down to your cost per visit. How much are you willing to pay per visit to enjoy Disneyland/DCA? In my case, I spent $469, and I will use my pass a total of 14 days. That is a cost per day, of roughly $34. That's a bargain for me. My parkhoppers always cost me in the neighborhood of about $50 a day.

The cost of a PAP is greater than my $469, but if someone uses their PAP once a month, that does seem like a bargain to me as well. It is certainly a whole lot cheaper than the cost of a one day parkhopper. Actually, I just did the math. $649 divided by 12 is $55. definitely still cheaper than a one day parkhopper.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    And Steve, I am a little surprised by your stance on this issue. But oh well. There are some things that I am for or against too which would seem to be going against the way I usually view things.
    I'm not saying I don't think the price is high. It's definitely too high for me. I just don't think it's "gouging."

Disneyland has always been considered "expensive," even when admission was a dollar. I remember in the 1970s, it was too expensive to go more than once a year, even though my dad worked as an aerospace engineer with Rocketdyne.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Are you serious? It must be nice to be rich...

haha no not rich....I just put aside my travel money for Disneyland instead of say going on a trip to vegas

Mainly the thing that helps is the monthly payment plans at that rate I just work a about a half day to pay for my payment and food for that day at the park

Although the OP talked about "value" and his current AP being a big waste of money, I got the sense this thread was more about losing the passion for Disneyland than it was about not being able to afford new APs. I think that's natural for most things anyone would do 15 years consecutively. I'd respectfully offer that it's unrealistic for Disneyland to retain the same charm and magic after visiting for 15 years straight. Take some time away and hopefully that passion will return after an extended absence from the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'm not saying I don't think the price is high. It's definitely too high for me. I just don't think it's "gouging."

Again, right on.

"Price gouging" is a highly unethical, often criminal practice which usually involves a temporary disruption of the supply chain of an essential product or service, most likely due to a natural disaster, war...something along those lines.

Is Disney cheap, a bargain? Heck no. Disney charges a premium price for what they feel is a premium product. You can agree or disagree with that feeling with your wallet. But let's put the gouging or greed talk to rest.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Of course in my case, I am just paying for myself. I can understand families giving up the expense, when they are considering the purchase of passes for a greater number of people.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Disney is not gouging anyone. Again, it is a free and open market and they can and will charge what the market will bear. It is not an essential service so if you do not think what you receive is worth the money you give up for it then don't buy.

Would you deliberately sell your house below its market value because you think the economy isn't good?
    This is off topic, but seriously?

Disney is not "gouging" anyone?
    It costs $7+tax for a frigging beer.
    $6.19+tax for a corndog?
    $32.99+tax for a pizza.

They're "gouging" people out the wazoo!

Having said that, I'm willing to pay it once every few
    years because, and only because, I have young children.

To declare that Disney is not "gouging" anyone is ludicrous.

As for people selling their houses below "market value",
    did you just arrive on this planet?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast