Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Does anyone remember, was there a push to save Country Bear Jamboree?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Paul Pressler
    Elaborate a bit, please.

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

I wish I can experience the original Country Bear Jamboree in person again....

In response to the OP, MrLiver hit the nail on the head. From what I have read, the bears' lack of popularity must have had something to do with the popularity of country music in the South and not in the West. The placement of the attraction at Disneyland (in the very back corner of the park) as well as there being 2 theaters may have helped sealed their fate.

• Minion

I don't think I ever saw this attraction and I grew up going to Disneyland a few times a year, and while I knew it existed, I can't recall any memories of actually seeing it.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Pooh opened in 2003 and the bears left only a few months before that. It was hardly the early days of the internet.
    Symantics. The internet has definately evolved and grown in the past 10 years beyond what was happening in 2003.

• Still lost in Neverland

There was a massive letter writing campaign and when the last day was announced so many people crowded into the area they (at least the CM's who worked there did) let people know what time the last show would run and that both theaters would run together so no matter what theater you went into, you saw the very last show. There is video on line that shows just how great that last show was. There was a lot of emotion going on and nobody left with dry eyes. I loved that show and considered the Bears to be my friends. I was allowed to go into one theater by myself, with a video camera, when the other theater was running and the Lead CM pushed the start button and left saying, "Have fun". I did. I walked around the theater while the show was running and getting up close and personal with the Bears and it was like they were putting on the show just for me. It truly was one of the best things to ever happen to me and also the most Magical. They were alive for that one show. I even heard things you never hear when the theater is full and noisy. I got the Vacation Hoedown show and later in the year we did the same thing for the Christmas show. It's on VHS video though but it is still around here somewhere. I have to see if I can find it and have it transfered to DVD.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Pooh opened in 2003 and the bears left only a few months before that. It was hardly the early days of the internet.
    What the internet has done, is let people organize by connecting with others, creating the namesake web. It doesn't mean that because people find others with a common opinion on the internet that they are indicative of the general public.

Internet era movements to brings backs attractions has worked, not at all.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

I still HATE that pressler and co removed BOTH of DL's Country Bear Theaters. They should have kept at least one of the theaters. Or Better yet, IF pressler and co would have been SMART, and had to insist on adding Pooh somewhere, they could have simply found a Pooh-Place somewhere in that Park which had just opened in the old parking lot!

I was there on the last day, and wore black. Yes, it was a very sad day, saying goodbye to one of Marc Davis' Masterpieces! And this attraction also added so much to the Christmas Season, with the Country Bear Christmas show. It was a MUST SEE, with ever visit around the holidays!

• Artistic integrity

Even more puzzling .....

They make an announcement in mid 2001 that they are closing this, nearly 30 year "classic" (at least classic to some) .............

As this was in production at that time .... with a July 2002 opening set:

Dear Walt Disney Co. execs ... Why would you close The Country Bear Jamboree ... when you were getting ready to debut a film .. based on this attraction ???????????

Oh no ... I got it - You were just plain stupid !

Incidentally ... it did flop .. taking in less money, than what it cost to make.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    CBJ holds fond memories for me as a child. Lo and behold nearly every time we visited Disneyland it rained, so we sought shelter and warmth with the Country Bears or the Tiki Birds. Those 2 attractions became a part of my childhood. I was truly bummed when they closed CBJ because not only would I never be able to relive that fond nostalgia, but I'd never be able to introduce others to it either.
    You nailed it. CBJ and The Tiki Room were my grandparents favorite attractions at DL. As a youngster between the ages of 7-11, I remember not caring much for either attraction. But since our grandparents took our family every year the day after Christmas, it was certainly a tradition for us. I vaguely remember the CBJ, but I do remember my dad had a "Big Al" beer stein, and we still call my dad Big Al to this day!

There are a couple youtube videos of CBJ, so I get my nostalgic fix that way.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    Or Better yet, IF pressler and co would have been SMART, and had to insist on adding Pooh somewhere, they could have simply found a Pooh-Place somewhere in that Park which had just opened in the old parking lot!
    I will never understand the argument that Winnie the Pooh doesn't belong in Critter Country.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I will never understand the argument that Winnie the Pooh doesn't belong in Critter Country.
    Because its a british character created by a british person I guess. I never understood it either. The disney movies never came off as feeling like british stories what with the american accents and what not. Except for christopher robin.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Because its a british character created by a british person I guess. I never understood it either. The disney movies never came off as feeling like british stories what with the american accents and what not. Except for christopher robin.
    Critter Country doesn't really specify an exact location. We'd assume it's in the South due to Splash Mountain characters and story line, but I don't think there is any real clarification. I see no problem with Pooh and his "critter" friends taking up residence in Critter Country. In fact I see no other location that suits them better.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    We're just not fans. We're Tiki Room people. Now if they were to ever consider taking that out... The pitchforks will come out.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    There was a massive letter writing campaign and when the last day was announced so many people crowded into the area they (at least the CM's who worked there did) let people know what time the last show would run and that both theaters would run together so no matter what theater you went into, you saw the very last show. There is video on line that shows just how great that last show was. There was a lot of emotion going on and nobody left with dry eyes. I loved that show and considered the Bears to be my friends. I was allowed to go into one theater by myself, with a video camera, when the other theater was running and the Lead CM pushed the start button and left saying, "Have fun". I did. I walked around the theater while the show was running and getting up close and personal with the Bears and it was like they were putting on the show just for me. It truly was one of the best things to ever happen to me and also the most Magical. They were alive for that one show. I even heard things you never hear when the theater is full and noisy. I got the Vacation Hoedown show and later in the year we did the same thing for the Christmas show. It's on VHS video though but it is still around here somewhere. I have to see if I can find it and have it transfered to DVD.

Now that is a awesome story!!! Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast