Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Does anyone remember, was there a push to save Country Bear Jamboree?

It closed September 9. Two days later was 9/11.

Coincidence?

Oh, no, I've said too much....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

That attraction is (and was) THE BEST place to take a toddler. Even my nephew who usually fused through the whole trip would be clapping and dancing in the aisles. I do remember signing a petition just outside the park to save it. Too bad they can't bring that one back
    " Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed"
    G.K Chesterson

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Critter Country doesn't really specify an exact location. We'd assume it's in the South due to Splash Mountain characters and story line, but I don't think there is any real clarification. I see no problem with Pooh and his "critter" friends taking up residence in Critter Country. In fact I see no other location that suits them better.
    Well, it's kind of implied to be America because as you mentioned, Splash Mountain and being part of the whole Frontierland super-land that is Frontierland/NOS/Critter Country. And there's plenty of good American set Disney movies that'd fit comfortably in that spot: Rescuers, Princess and the Frog and Bambi

And there is another place for Pooh in the park: It's called Fantasyland. Take out the Motor Boat Cruise, put the Silly Old Bear in there and there you go.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Well, it's kind of implied to be America because as you mentioned, Splash Mountain and being part of the whole Frontierland super-land that is Frontierland/NOS/Critter Country. And there's plenty of good American set Disney movies that'd fit comfortably in that spot: Rescuers, Princess and the Frog and Bambi

And there is another place for Pooh in the park: It's called Fantasyland. Take out the Motor Boat Cruise, put the Silly Old Bear in there and there you go.
    This, the Disneyland website even describes Critter Country as being in the American woods, so it is not in the English countryside.

I would agree if FL had a forest subland(which would be awesome btw). But as the park stands now, I think it fits better in Critter country.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I would agree if FL had a forest subland(which would be awesome btw). But as the park stands now, I think it fits better in Critter country.
    I agree. The queue and setting of Winnie the Pooh is a much better fit at Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom (this is ignoring the rides themselves, MK has the better ride as everyone knows). The Hundred Acre Woods, to me, has always been a place of imagination that doesn't conform to specific geographical locations. It could exist anywhere.

The Hundred Acre Wood details and Winnie the Pooh area music add a really nice touch to Critter Country. Yeah, it's a shame that it replaced Country Bear Jamboree, and it's a shame that they didn't make an attraction at least on par with MK's, but in terms of setting I really like Winnie the Pooh where it is in Critter Country. I wouldn't want to move it.

• Sock Puppet

A Hundred Acre Wood sub-land would've fit perfectly in the Fantasyland Theater area. They should have put the attraction show building where the theater is and made the surrounding area the Hundred Acre Wood. With all the tall trees there it would've worked perfectly. They could've themed the train station accordingly as well.

• Monorail Lover

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    A Hundred Acre Wood sub-land would've fit perfectly in the Fantasyland Theater area. They should have put the attraction show building where the theater is and made the surrounding area the Hundred Acre Wood. With all the tall trees there it would've worked perfectly. They could've themed the train station accordingly as well.
    This to me seems like it would have been the best choice, given what our options were at the time. However, I do feel that Pooh does fit into Critter Country, but there had to have been a way they could have fit it into Critter Country without taking out ANY of Country Bear Jamboree.
    Signature down for reimagineering.

It would have been nice except IASW kind of throws the whole area off. I would personally prefer it at the old motorboat area. Once you are near small world, the whole fantasy theme is kind of lost until you get to toon town. I also think toon town station needs to be renamed and themed. It was a brilliant way to attract and publicize a land so far removed from the rest of the park. But at this point I don't think it really needs it anymore.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Parking Lot > DCA

No need for all that when it fits the Critter Country theme just fine. I don't think there has been one guest (other than the over criticizing MiceChat/AP community - a generalization not an insult) that has seen the Winnie the Pooh attraction and thought: "Good God, what were they thinking putting this here?" Why that has never been said is for two reasons. One, no one cares enough to even think about that, and two, it fits in nicely with the theme of Critter Country. It works, which is why it was chosen and placed there.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I agree. The queue and setting of Winnie the Pooh is a much better fit at Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom (this is ignoring the rides themselves, MK has the better ride as everyone knows). The Hundred Acre Woods, to me, has always been a place of imagination that doesn't conform to specific geographical locations. It could exist anywhere.

The Hundred Acre Wood details and Winnie the Pooh area music add a really nice touch to Critter Country. Yeah, it's a shame that it replaced Country Bear Jamboree, and it's a shame that they didn't make an attraction at least on par with MK's, but in terms of setting I really like Winnie the Pooh where it is in Critter Country. I wouldn't want to move it.
    Nice post!

• Minion

As a kid, CBJ was one of my favorite attractions. I always left the theater singing "Thank God I'm a Country Bear". When they got rid of it, I was going through my brief "anti-Disney" period, or else I would have been protesting too.

What's funny with the whole "country music isn't popular in California" thing is that it's HUGE up here on the Central Coast. And I never liked it - at least not the country pop they play on the radio. But I loved CBJ.

Another funny thing is that the version I grew up with and have the sentimental connection to was the anachronism-filled Vacation Hoedown. Which I'm sure would have made for some interesting MiceChat discussions when that replaced the more authentic-ish original show.

That's where I'd like to see it, too. I think it would go perfectly near "small world".

Because Pooh, you're not a critter.

You...are...a...TOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Pooh is about as much of a real bear as Buzz Lightyear is a real spaceman who lives in Tomorrowland. (Oh wait...) The classic movies repeatedly make references to Pooh being a stuffed animal. So are most of his friends. Not only that, but they're also aware that they're in a storybook. Toys come to life + storybook come to life = FANTASYLAND. And where better in FL than next to the home of singing dolls and other toys from around the world?

And as far as the whole "American accents means it's set in America" thing...accents have never made sense in Disney animation. They even gave King Arthur an American accent!

Plus the narrator is incredibly British.

In all fairness, CBJ and the original Bear Country were supposed to be the Pacific Northwest, not the Deep South, but Splash and CBJ were both down-home, backwoods settings and still complimented each other better than Splash and Pooh.

Oh bother.
    (I typed that with an American accent, but you still read it as British, didn't you? )
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 03-06-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Sock Puppet

It would have been nice except IASW kind of throws the whole area off.
    I disagree. The Winnie the Pooh stories are about stuffed animal toys and iasw is meant to look as though the attraction were put together by children using their dolls and toys. It would've been a perfect fit if you ask me.

• New Member Goes Forth

I think there was anger from fans, and many did puush to try and save it.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    Oh bother.
    (I typed that with an American accent, but you still read it as British, didn't you? )

I am old enough to remember the ORIGINAL (Never liked the Christmas version) and I was very sad to see it go. Always good for a cool spot to sit, relax, and enjoy a show.
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

I was there during the last performance of Country Bear Jamboree. My CM friend and I were supposed to do something else that night, but it didn't work out. So we went over to DL to say farewell to our favorite bear friends.
    With just about everyone being a cast member, it was a wild scene. People started chanting "Bears, Bears! and wildly clapping. I don't think I heard any of the performance that night-just everyone giving Big Al, Teddi Berra, etc the applause they deserved.
    After the performance, my friend and I walked over to the large Pooh store and we pretended to tear down the "Three Cheers for Pooh" banner that was hanging in the shop.
    I miss CBJ so much! Maybe there will be a way for them to return someday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast