Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Does anyone remember, was there a push to save Country Bear Jamboree?

As a WDW veteran I remember when Mr. Toad's Wild Ride left us for good and all that is left is a homage to Toad in the form of a statue at the pet semetary outside Haunted Mansion. Winnie the Pooh was the replacement (just like how it replaced Country Bears in DL) and while I enjoy that ride as well I can't help but wonder how they couldn't have made both of them co-exist. In Disneyland Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a popular ride and one of my favourites. However, WDW still has Country Bears which is one of my favourites while Disneyland took their's down around 2001 (if I am not mistaken) and erected Winnie. Being in that area in Critter Country I can't help but notice the amount of space in that corner where both attractions should have been able to co-exist together.

When Toad closed in WDW there were protests and even a petition on the early days of the internet to stop it from closing. WDW guests don't have the clout that Disneyland guests do though for the very reason that WDW has less locals than DL and is often a once in a lifetime trip for many guests.

So what was the reason for getting rid of a classic like CBJ at DL? Just not popular enough or didn't have the crowds meant to justify keeping it? Were there not enough people who fought to keep it?

Re: Does anyone remember, was there a push to save Country Bear Jamboree?

I don't know for sure but if I remember correctly interest had fallen off and they decided to replace it. We only went to it once and that was enough. I only went to the one in Florida once and that was enough there as well.

• Minion

I'm not speaking for everyone, but CBJ was just not popular in my family. The only one who sincerely enjoyed it was my cousin, but she got over it when it was taken down. I don't remember many people being upset over this. I know I wasn't. We're just not fans. We're Tiki Room people. Now if they were to ever consider taking that out... The pitchforks will come out.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• formerly very helpful

I loved Country Bears, and wrote a letter to Disney complaining about the decision to replace it (before it actually closed), but of course nothing changed. Just how many people did, I have no idea. It was in the early days of the internet, and things were not really as well organized as they are now. Would that have made a difference? Sadly, I tend to think not. The number crunchers at Disney did their "analysis" and had already made their decision.
    Still, a letter campaign once saved Star Trek, so there is always hope we can make a difference, I suppose.

• Hooterville, USA

It was so far away to get to, that people didn't want to walk that far to see it a second time.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    So what was the reason for getting rid of a classic like CBJ at DL?
    Paul Pressler

• Long live the Fire Lord

I saw a petition to keep updating it. Since it was supposedly easy to do. They could have just updated the music every 5 years or so.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Paul Pressler
    Funny thing is, I went to City Hall to lodge a formal complaint about it. I had to put the name of the cast member I was complaining about, so I put Paul Pressler on the form. This did elicit a slight chuckle from the plaid who was taking care of me.

• Hooterville, USA

I called Eisner once but only got his secretary.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    It was in the early days of the internet, and things were not really as well organized as they are now.
    Pooh opened in 2003 and the bears left only a few months before that. It was hardly the early days of the internet.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Pooh opened in 2003 and the bears left only a few months before that. It was hardly the early days of the internet.
    The Country Bear Jamboree left Sept. 2001, so it wasn't only a few months before Pooh opened in 2003, more like a year and a half. Nevertheless, your right about it not being the early days of the internet.

• Minion

I always found the timing weird and ironic considering the Country Bears movie was released after the Disneyland attraction closed and "Oh no, someone's trying to tear Country Bear Hall down" was the plot.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• world class bilge rat

Country Bear was one of my all-time favorites. It was both entertaining and relaxing at the same time.

Very sad to see it go.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    So what was the reason for getting rid of a classic like CBJ at DL? Just not popular enough or didn't have the crowds meant to justify keeping it? Were there not enough people who fought to keep it?
    That's the answer in a nutshell. Country Bears was just never as popular on the west coast as it is in Florida. The lower guest counts and the higher overhead (two theaters to maintain) doomed the bears from the beginning. Disney ended up spending the money to revamp the show (twice) and it just never took off. They even built a giant flume ride right next door... but it just never worked.

This AA rich shows were just too expensive to maintain over time and guest counts kept dropping. The bears had a better fate than America Sings which had such a huge attendance drop off they ended up closing it with no replacement for 10 years.

• Mrs. J. Depp

CBJ holds fond memories for me as a child. Lo and behold nearly every time we visited Disneyland it rained, so we sought shelter and warmth with the Country Bears or the Tiki Birds. Those 2 attractions became a part of my childhood. I was truly bummed when they closed CBJ because not only would I never be able to relive that fond nostalgia, but I'd never be able to introduce others to it either.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast