POTC best theme park attraction?

Who here thinks DL POTC is the best theme park attraction in the world? i think its in the discussion. we all hear about the HP ride, and i think its up there too.. but when it comes down too it its really just a big screen in front of you. i think potc is the best ride when it comes to taking you into a whole other world.. when you are in the ride you feel like you are taking out of today. and enter a whole other world. and when you come out of it you feel like you were gone for 2 days. who here thinks potc is among the best if not the best theme park attraction of them all? i not saying it is. but i definitely think its in discussion. lets chat.

• world class bilge rat

Re: POTC best theme park attraction?

In my opinion, it was one of the very best until they put all the Capt. Jack Sparrows in.

One of the things I like best about DL is its ability to take me out of the real world for a while. The vast majority of rides there are purely fantasy. When a real-life character is introduced, it ruins the fantasy.

I still like Pirates, but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    In my opinion, it was one of the very best until they put all the Capt. Jack Sparrows in.

One of the things I like best about DL is its ability to take me out of the real world for a while. The vast majority of rides there are purely fantasy. When a real-life character is introduced, it ruins the fantasy.

I still like Pirates, but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.
    I would tend to agree about the Jack Sparrow piece. Totally unnecessary. That attraction has always been so popular, it needed nothing to revitalize it in any way, shape or form. The first time I rode it with the additions, someone in the boat said, "There's Johnny Depp."
    Bringing in a character where the actor behind him is so well-known ruins the fantasy a bit for me too.
    Do I still think, in theory, it's the best ride? I do. But I tend to think of its impact when it opened, and how I continue to be mesmerized by the workings of the attraction, even if I have to look beyond Johnny Depp to do it now.
    So innovative for its time. And it continues to be a great piece of art. Again, I might have to look over Johnny Depp to appreciate its origins. But that's getting easier.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The ride is still amazing.....especially since you can kinda tune out many of thr ads placed in the ride...the only two you cant miss are the Jack at the end and the projection

• Tourist

I thought the original POTC was truly the best, especially after the addition of the modern audio system, and the mist in the bombardment scene.

I was disappointed in the politically-correct changes that began in the 1990's. As X. Atencio said, it turned the attraction into
    "Boy Scouts of the Caribbean". And I was again disappointed with the inclusion of Jack Sparrow.

I bet if we could see the original again, many people would agree that it was the best presentation.

• formerly very helpful

Sometimes you have to look at an attraction in relation to what there was before and how much there was to influence it. Before POTC, the most elaborate rides at Disneyland - or anywhere for thatmatter - involved fairly static animals in Jungle Cruise, some fairly static desert animals and plants in Frontierland, a Lincoln show with ONE animatronic human who stands up and talks. POTC built upon these types of elements and created a fully immersive world where guests are transported into another time and place, which was fully believable. Everything else later had POTC's experience to learn from and build upon. So in this regard, POTC was the greatest amusement park attraction EVER.

• Dead men tell no tales.

No doubt, nothing comes close.

• MaliBOOMer

It was the best back in its day. Is it currently? No.
    It is a spectacular attraction that set the bar high. It has impressive immersion and detail. However so much has been built over the years that has added a level not seen in Pirates. In POTC you get a highly detailed immersive environment that you get to watch. In say Indiana Jones you have a highly immersive attraction that throws you into the action, that is a characteristic lacking in POTC.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Sometimes you have to look at an attraction in relation to what there was before and how much there was to influence it. Before POTC, the most elaborate rides at Disneyland - or anywhere for thatmatter - involved fairly static animals in Jungle Cruise, some fairly static desert animals and plants in Frontierland, a Lincoln show with ONE animatronic human who stands up and talks. POTC built upon these types of elements and created a fully immersive world where guests are transported into another time and place, which was fully believable. Everything else later had POTC's experience to learn from and build upon. So in this regard, POTC was the greatest amusement park attraction EVER.
    This is kind of what I was trying to say, but had a hard time being as eloquent about it. POTC can rest on its laurels because it has so much to rest on. It's amazing. Again, people in the late 60s must have been blown away by it all. I, unfortunately, was a little too young to remember it when it first opened. I don't dig the Sparrow additions because I don't think they were necessary. I know everyone was excited about the movie and all, but the attraction didn't need any sort of shot in the arm. It was doing just fine.
    And what were those changes that were made in the 90s again? I remember it happening, but I can't say that I recall the details. I do remember thinking it wasn't all that necessary either. Whatever the changes were.