Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: How is it working out with enforced FP return times?

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I think you'll have to wait until it gets busy again to really tell. I know when I stood in the backed up FP line on Space Mountain it seemed to be mostly full of groups with passes from rides that went down. Not people returning late... The CM working there seemed to believe that as well.
    I pretty much agree with this statement. I myself have always believed that the FP debate was always a bit too extreme on both sides. I have been going to the park since FP inception the only time I experienced issues is when a ride was 101 for a long time during the day. We will continually see people from both sides of the argument say how much better or worse it is. My guess is there won't be much of a change at all.

At least corporate management has their rules in place to implement their new system. When they implement their new MM+ system they want everything to spot on so they have consistent metrics to examine. They could not do that without interfering with their older product. This is pretty much a corporate template for anything new getting implemented.

• I'm wishing

I had a very bad experience with FP at RSR last week. The ride had been down, so when we returned at 1:30 (right in the middle of our return times, I believe 1:10 to 2:10), the FP return line was very long.

After we had hardly moved during our first few minutes in line, I had my friend hold our place and went to the CM up front and asked how long FP would take (the regular line was noted at 50 minutes), he said it would probably be 30 minutes or so, and I asked if we could have a note that we could use our FP later, as it was simply too backed up at that moment. He refused and I went back to the line.

We ended up waiting almost an HOUR in the FP line to get on the ride. I was very upset because when the FP line is overwhelmingly long, I believe there should have been a little leeway. It actually would have made things better had a few of the people in that line gotten out and interspersed into the line later.

When the regular line was averaging 50 to 60 minutes throughout the day (although not the hour we had to be there) and we spent 30 minutes in line to get the FP at park opening, then 60 minutes in the FP line...it left a very bitter taste in my mouth. They need to give some flexibility after a ride has been down for a significant period of time.

• Rock Star Minion

I think is a very difficult logistics issue. If, say, they gave you a new FP that was good between 5:00 and 6:00, there would still be other FP holders already with that return time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Evil is Sexy

I've been to the parks 6 times in the last 3 weeks. 3 of those times was during weekend days. The FastPass lines seem to move much as I recall they did several years ago. The Standby lines seem to move just as they had before, if not faster. I did wish the CM's would let the FP line get more priority in longer, more popular rides - like Star Tours. That is the only ride I've really noticed a "choke point" on.
    We had a very good experiance with GRR recently, with the CM's making an exception for the FP time slot. My husband had realized he had left his wedding ring over in Critter Country near Splash Mountain (he took it off to apply sunblock) and he raced over to Disneyland to try to find it. Meanwhile, I went to stand in the very long FP line (which ended up only having a wait time of 10 minutes versus 60 in the Standby.) When I got to the front of the line, I explained the situation to the CM there and she and her co-workers let me stand there at the FP check booth until he returned, which ended up being 15 minutes past our allotted time. We reported their awesomeness to the Chamber of Commerce later.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMouse View Post
    I had a very bad experience with FP at RSR last week. The ride had been down, so when we returned at 1:30 (right in the middle of our return times, I believe 1:10 to 2:10), the FP return line was very long.

After we had hardly moved during our first few minutes in line, I had my friend hold our place and went to the CM up front and asked how long FP would take (the regular line was noted at 50 minutes), he said it would probably be 30 minutes or so, and I asked if we could have a note that we could use our FP later, as it was simply too backed up at that moment. He refused and I went back to the line.

We ended up waiting almost an HOUR in the FP line to get on the ride. I was very upset because when the FP line is overwhelmingly long, I believe there should have been a little leeway. It actually would have made things better had a few of the people in that line gotten out and interspersed into the line later.

When the regular line was averaging 50 to 60 minutes throughout the day (although not the hour we had to be there) and we spent 30 minutes in line to get the FP at park opening, then 60 minutes in the FP line...it left a very bitter taste in my mouth. They need to give some flexibility after a ride has been down for a significant period of time.
    If they were flexible with the time, you'd get that long FP line later in the day when everyone used their expired passes, which is the problem many were reporting prior to enforcement. It's unfortunate when the ride goes down, but at least that should be less consistent than the nightly traffic jam that was occurring before. RSR is going to be one with a long wait no matter what until the hype dies down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I've been to the parks 6 times in the last 3 weeks. 3 of those times was during weekend days. The FastPass lines seem to move much as I recall they did several years ago. The Standby lines seem to move just as they had before, if not faster. I did wish the CM's would let the FP line get more priority in longer, more popular rides - like Star Tours. That is the only ride I've really noticed a "choke point" on.
    We had a very good experiance with GRR recently, with the CM's making an exception for the FP time slot. My husband had realized he had left his wedding ring over in Critter Country near Splash Mountain (he took it off to apply sunblock) and he raced over to Disneyland to try to find it. Meanwhile, I went to stand in the very long FP line (which ended up only having a wait time of 10 minutes versus 60 in the Standby.) When I got to the front of the line, I explained the situation to the CM there and she and her co-workers let me stand there at the FP check booth until he returned, which ended up being 15 minutes past our allotted time. We reported their awesomeness to the Chamber of Commerce later.
    That's great to hear. I think you and the CMs handled it perfectly. You still showed up during your window, gave a valid reason why you need some flexibility, and they granted it. Exactly how it should be!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

The thing that bums me out about the time being enforced is when a ride goes down. We'll be having fun in Paradise Pier and we know that we have to stop the fun we are having and get moving all the way to Space Mountain to make it in time. Then 20 minutes later when we get there the ride is down for whatever reason. Yeah, maybe our fastpasses are still good for later and maybe we should have checked a wait time app before we started on our journey and maybe I should stop whining because it isn't the end of the world. But it does suck when it happens to you TWICE one day.
    "Nice work, pal"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    The thing that bums me out about the time being enforced is when a ride goes down. We'll be having fun in Paradise Pier and we know that we have to stop the fun we are having and get moving all the way to Space Mountain to make it in time. Then 20 minutes later when we get there the ride is down for whatever reason. Yeah, maybe our fastpasses are still good for later and maybe we should have checked a wait time app before we started on our journey and maybe I should stop whining because it isn't the end of the world. But it does suck when it happens to you TWICE one day.
    How does it take 20 minutes to walk from the pier to Space Mountain? Did you get stuck behind a parade? Was there a line at the entrance gate?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Selfie Expert

Sorry that happened to you! There will be extenuating circumstances that can put a damper on your day no matter what the FP rules are, so you just had a little bad luck. Hopefully it'll balance out with smooth sailing on your next visit!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I've been once since they began enforcement. We usually get to the park early and don't stay too late, usually leaving before the Fantasmic/WOC/Fireworks crowds leave. There are a few rides that I always wait to ride at night, mainly RSR and Thunder Mountain. Since Thunder is closed, I can't comment on that ride.

In my opinion, the mid-morning to early afternoon fast time waits were slightly longer than they were before. I noticed this especially on Space Mountain, which is the only one that had a significantly longer wait time for fast pass in the middle of the day. Indy, in my opinion, was also slightly longer.

I did manage to ride RSR at night, and I did not notice any lengthening or shortening of the fast pass line when we rode it, which was shortly after nightfall. It seemed exactly the same. I know lots of people complained that the fast pass line for this ride was horribly long before, but I having been riding this one at night, using fast pass, once to twice a month since it opened, and I haven't ever (except once when it had been down) experienced a horribly long fast pass wait.

I honestly bet the enforcement isn't going to make that much difference one way or another. There may be slightly longer waits for certain times or slightly shorter waits at other times than before, but overall I bet it doesn't make a difference.

Like another poster said, if you were in the camp that didn't like the fast pass flexibility, you will be looking for (and likely finding) the benefits. And if you were were in the camp that liked the flexibility of returning when you wanted, you will be looking for (and again probably finding) all the problems with enforcement.

If non-enforcement had really been the problem so many make it out to be, Disney would have enforced much earlier. The only reason they are enforcing it now is they they can install this new system.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow. The CM really gave poor guest service in Juliemouse's case. Sure they were technically correct in enforcing their policy but to leave a guest unhappy is not the best way to conduct business. And all the while they keep raising their ticket prices. Good job, Disney.

The way Disney is enforcing this policy, all I can say is thank goodness Disney isn't in the nursing home business...

• Lurker

I wonder how difficult it would be to implement a policy in which, in case a ride goes down, they would postpone everyone's return window by the number of hours the ride was unavailable, rounded down to the nearest hour.

• I'm wishing

I think postponing everyone's time would be unworkable...how would people know before they walk all the way there (possibly all the way from Paradise Pier to Space Mountain as someone mentioned earlier)?

My idea was that, upon request, some flexibility would be granted in that situation...If the FP line is unusually long, you could have your FP initialed by a CM so that you could come back anytime in the next few hours. Not many people would do it, and those few who did would be spread out over a few hours. It was extremely frustrating to be stuck during in their incredibly long FP line due to their mechanical issues, at least let me come back a little late, if I request such a solution (which would also help their unusually long line go down).

• No Disassemble!

HOPEFULLY they'll go back to giving away those unlimited return time fastpasses that they used to give out all the time when rides went down.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• some assembly required

I think postponing everyone's time would be unworkable...how would people know before they walk all the way there (possibly all the way from Paradise Pier to Space Mountain as someone mentioned earlier)?

My idea was that, upon request, some flexibility would be granted in that situation...If the FP line is unusually long, you could have your FP initialed by a CM so that you could come back anytime in the next few hours. Not many people would do it, and those few who did would be spread out over a few hours. It was extremely frustrating to be stuck during in their incredibly long FP line due to their mechanical issues, at least let me come back a little late, if I request such a solution (which would also help their unusually long line go down).
    I agree with this (mostly), but I feel you were asking the wrong CM. An attractions CM doesn't have the authority nor the tools to issue the type of pass you were seeking. Maybe they should be given this authority (or the lead of the attraction should be).
    If you went to City Hall/COC you would have been given a special pass I'm sure, esp if you explained it as you did above pointing out the incovncs... but then the question becomes, would one want to take time out of their day to do this?
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

In general, I've noticed that walk-on times with no FP are a little shorter on average, or at least the line seems to move a little faster. I'm glad Disney has started enforcing the return times.

The funny thing is that my wife and I have always abided by the return windows, as we didn't want the possibility of causing an issue with being late.

However, knowing that you have a certain return time window does necessitate some planning of your basic moves within a given park, but that's nothing the average guest shouldn't be able to figure out on their own. If I get a Fastpass for, say, California Screamin, I'm gonna stay in DCA until my window comes up, and not truck it over to Small World.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast