Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: How is it working out with enforced FP return times?

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I like the convenience of FP's but does anyone think that Disney may take the next step and do a test of seeing how things go without FP's?
    No just the complete opposite as Disney is preparing to EXPAND the program. Thats the entire point of enforcing the FP so when the new FP comes in it will all work smoother.

FP will be here as long as Disney parks will be here. Although I HATE to think of a day it will come, several decades from now assuming the parks are still around, it could be an all FP system based. I HIGHLY doubt it lol, my only point being thats its not impossible either as things go more and more online and tourist/guest want things planned out as much as possible. I've always been the opposite though, I like a little spontenaity (I dont think I spelled that right lol) so the system now is fine for me.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    I'll agree with this...

But this is where I have to draw the line. This particular CM may not exactly be in a position to bend the rules or to make exceptions, but they definitely have access to people who do. My wife and I are both in positions where we deal with the public, and we both get the occasional customer who makes it a personal point to pick a fight and treat their first line of contact in a terrible, inexcusably rude way because they think that's the fast track to getting what they want. The customer is not always right, and IMO that's a farce that's been perpetuated too long. If a customer can't be bothered to exercise decency and common courtesy, then IMO they aren't entitled to the favor. They may get one on the good graces of someone else, but at that point it's not up to them - they may or may not get it but their behavior certainly isn't deserving.

That's why I'm nice to Cast Members - just a simple please and thank you can work wonders sometimes.
    I disagree with this. Determining whether or not a customer is picking a fight can be extremely subjective. I am a big guy and people sometimes mistake me being assertive for being overly aggressive. I never want to pick a fight but sometimes people interpret things the wrong way. If a customer is being mean enough to where you cannot give them good service my recommendation would be to try and find someone who can help them instead of ignoring them or deliberately giving them bad service.

And there are other reasons that a customer might be wanting to pick a fight. I was working at Kohls many years ago. I rung up a customer and motioned for the next in line. Another customer started screaming at me that she was next in line but I didn't know because I was too busy ringing up the first customer. I did ignore her and when it came time for me to ring her up she apologized. She said she was having a very difficult time with things because her son died and she was buying clothes for him to wear at his funeral. I was speechless. But I left work that day with a lifelong lesson that when people act a certain way there might be a very good reason for it.

• Filmmaker

The way I see it is if a customer is being a jerk it's completely within the rights of a customer service rep to insist adamantly on adhering to the letter of the rules. Don't be mean, don't intentionally give them poor service, but don't reward their poor behavior with favors.

Sure, there are the extenuating circumstances like DisneyIPresume mentioned above (lashing out due to grieving, etc.) and while those aren't acceptable they're at least understandable. However, from my experience, more often than not customers are jerks because corporate America has trained them that that's the fastest way to get what they want. "The customer is always right" is a noble cliché that has been brutally abused at the hands of customers as a way to insist that their every whim be met no matter how absurd. Often it's the people who throw the biggest loudest fits who get rewarded while the people who politely ask for a favor get turned down.

This is absolutely backwards. Trying to shut up an obnoxious customer by catering to their whims will only reinforce bad behavior. The customer is not always right and when they begin to rudely insist that you should give them whatever you want, a customer service rep has every right to tell them no.

Also, a personal philosophy of mine states that once a customer begins throwing profanities at you the exchange is instantly void. It's not that I'm particularly offended by language (I'm not) but I'm not going to put up with being cussed out by a customer. Once the profanities come out I'll maintain a professional attitude, but the answer to their demands instantly becomes a completely non-flexible "no," and the only person I'll be calling to help them out is security.
    Last edited by Illusion0fLife; 03-08-2013 at 10:13 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    The way I see it is if a customer is being a jerk it's completely within the rights of a customer service rep to insist adamantly on adhering to the letter of the rules. Don't be mean, don't intentionally give them poor service, but don't reward their poor behavior with favors.

Sure, there are the extenuating circumstances like DisneyIPresume mentioned above (lashing out due to grieving, etc.) and while those aren't acceptable they're at least understandable. However, from my experience, more often than not customers are jerks because corporate America has trained them that that's the fastest way to get what they want. "The customer is always right" is a noble cliché that has been brutally abused at the hands of customers as a way to insist that their every whim be met no matter how absurd. Often it's the people who throw the biggest loudest fits who get rewarded while the people who politely ask for a favor get turned down.

This is absolutely backwards. Trying to shut up an obnoxious customer by catering to their whims will only reinforce bad behavior. The customer is not always right and when they begin to rudely insist that you should give them whatever you want, a customer service rep has every right to tell them no.

Also, a personal philosophy of mine states that once a customer begins throwing profanities at you the exchange is instantly void. It's not that I'm particularly offended by language (I'm not) but I'm not going to put up with being cussed out by a customer. Once the profanities come out I'll maintain a professional attitude, but the answer to their demands instantly becomes a completely no flexible "no," and the only person I'll be calling to help them out is security.
    I agree with this completely. In my own past experience in customer service, we had customers who honestly thought that picking a fight, being verbally (and sometimes nearly physically) abusive or intimidating the staff would be a good way to bully them into getting whatever they wanted, or breaking whatever rules they wanted to break. If we'd given those people favors, what kind of message would we have sent? That being rude and abusive to those who are serving you is the key to extras?

I would never suggest that a customer service employee should be rude or should refuse to do his or her job - however, when a guest is asking the CM to bend the rules, or give them a favor of some sort, politeness counts. It's reasonable to expect that a guest who poses a request politely might receive more extra favors than a guest who is openly hostile to the staff. That's how it usually works. Watch when you're at the airport, for instance...the guy who rudely demands an upgrade is a lot less likely to get one than the person who says "please." The diners who are super polite perhaps are more likely to get checked on more often and get perhaps an upgrade from their server at the restaurant. Etc. Or that is how it SHOULD be.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How does it take 20 minutes to walk from the pier to Space Mountain? Did you get stuck behind a parade? Was there a line at the entrance gate?

How does it not take that long? Walking through two parks packed with strollers, rascals and people that can walk? I move fast too. And yes, of course there was line of about 5 minutes to get into Disneyland.
    "Nice work, pal"

• some assembly required

Favors?
    Two or three MCers mentioned favors.

I was under the impression that the CM in this thread was speaking of service. As in his job. Handing me a churro that I paid for is not a favor. Telling me to have a magical day (in 2013) may be a favor-ish thing nowadays...

As I said, a GOOD CS agent can provide services even when someone is being a tyrant. If someone goes into their job thinking they are doing us all a favor by showing up for their shift, well, then you have started a bad chain reaction before the tyrant customer ever gets to the property. I think this comes down to training. Too many companies don't provide in-depth CS training to teach ppl how to deal with various situations.

Just for the record, I wasn't saying one should reward a bad customer with some sort of perk or favor. But if I see someone ignore a paying customer, I'd probably be the first to point it out (and the first one to verbally jump on the rude customer). I'll probably get shot one day trying to fix someone else's customer service issues [a bit of sarcasm, just a bit tho!!!]

Yikes... kinda OT, I know. My appologies to anyone reading this. The whole CS issue is a hot topic on MC and creeps in once in a while. For the most part, I think we are all on the same side, we just disagree on "technique".
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Favors?
    Two or three MCers mentioned favors.
    In relation to the rest of the thread, I'm assuming the "favor" in this case would be honoring FastPasses past their time or finding ways to help out a guest who has missed their time. When the FastPass ticket says in black and white "Return between this hour to ride the ride," it's most certainly a favor to offer an exception.

If I'm a CM and a guest comes up with an expired FastPass (within a reasonable grace period) I'm going to be much more likely to say "sure, come on in" to someone who is being polite rather than someone who is shouting at and/or insulting me. I'm not going to do the rude guest the "favor" of allowing them to use an expired FastPass after they've just decided to be rude to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234