Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 437
  1. #136

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Both touch the Central Plaza. Both were at one time labled on maps as Main Street.
    I'm sure it was! And one time Matterhorn was labled in TL! Now its FL. Where TLM in DCA sits now use to be labled in Golden State. Now its part of PP. They change this stuff all the time on a whim or whatever fits their theming zones. Its artificial lines on a theme park map, they can change what they want. Of course you know that, the point is PFF just makes MORE sense to be next to the castle then does a contempoary stage area.

    I just dont know how you can look at the castle and actually suggest something from MS belongs there?? Its odd to me. But, and I will say this again, it only makes sense because its been there forever! The same reason why its jarring for people to see the monorail go through BVS as a 'problem' but NO problem seeing the same monorail cross into FL and around a mountain is because they lived with it all their lives. Its just natural even though its just as much out of place as the newer stuff.

    And in 20 years time, no one is going to be able to imagine what it was like NOT to have PFF next to the castle. Thats the power of age and nostalgia kicking in!

  2. #137

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,515

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    ORDDU: Very good posts, WorldDisney, duckling. It's refreshing to have someone like you around to share ideas with. Let's hope your sensible thoughts helped certain others to realize the flaws of their arguments and general thinking. Walt Disney believed in variety so that there would be a wider appeal to his theme parks.

  3. #138

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,446

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I'm sure it was! And one time Matterhorn was labled in TL! Now its FL. Where TLM in DCA sits now use to be labled in Golden State. Now its part of PP. They change this stuff all the time on a whim or whatever fits their theming zones. Its artificial lines on a theme park map, they can change what they want. Of course you know that, the point is PFF just makes MORE sense to be next to the castle then does a contempoary stage area.

    I just dont know how you can look at the castle and actually suggest something from MS belongs there?? Its odd to me. But, and I will say this again, it only makes sense because its been there forever! The same reason why its jarring for people to see the monorail go through BVS as a 'problem' but NO problem seeing the same monorail cross into FL and around a mountain is because they lived with it all their lives. Its just natural even though its just as much out of place as the newer stuff.

    And in 20 years time, no one is going to be able to imagine what it was like NOT to have PFF next to the castle. Thats the power of age and nostalgia kicking in!
    Thank you for this. YES.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  4. #139

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Very good posts, WorldDisney, duckling. It's refreshing to have someone like you around to share ideas with. Let's hope your sensible thoughts helped certain others to realize the flaws of their arguments and general thinking. Walt Disney believed in variety so that there would be a wider appeal to his theme parks.
    Thanks girls!

    Its actually fun discussing Disney again, even just a little while. And of course I don't expect everyone to agree with my points, just making the point like you and others did its not the end of the world if Disney caters to one segment from time to time. There is still PLENTY of other parts of the resort people can do. This is a tiny, tiny area end of the day and they found something small enough that give people more to do, beautified a VERY ugly and outdated area and found a way to put most of the princesses in one place. I just dont know whats wrong with that?

    And I think they really gone out of their way the last few years to give people all type of experiences for different demographics with various attractions: WOC, revamped ST, Voices of Liberty, RCT, Mad T Party, TLM, Soundsational Parade, BVS, CL, RSR, TSM, ElecTRONica and of course MY favorite...Trader Sam's!

    But seriously, look what I just wrote? This all came around the last 4-5 years. Yeah its a bit on the toon side, but Disney has provided new entertainment and attractions that has covered all genders, ages and interests, have they not? Can anyone honestly say all of that listed that they can't find things that interest them or people in their family, from their kids to their grandparents? I would say about 90% of that list interest me personnally. Its not all just for little girls and soccer moms. But now they built a princess land basically and NOW Disney has abandoned everyone else it seems. Forget all they added the last few years alone.

    But thats what so funny about Disney fans, it really is a fickle bunch. "This is too toony, thats not toony enough, this is too much for kids, thats too adult, they are only focusing on the boys demographics, this is too much for girls, they don't care about Walt anymore, there is too much Walt and exploiting him, they only think about the latest generation, they are only marketing nostalgia..." and on and on and on.

    Disney JUST CANT WIN lol! It almost makes your head explode!

    Looking forward to the new area, if for nothing else to have a new pretty place to sit in in the park, take in the stage shows and hit on one of the princesses after hours!

  5. #140

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,446

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    The best thing about PFF is it opened the Fantasyland Theater back up for business. Now we're getting a new show. I mean, come on. That is cool. That's another thing I'm looking forward to this summer.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  6. #141

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    As to Fantasy Faire itself, IMHO this space is beautiful. Simply beautiful. I have zero interest in meeting the princesses but I am very interested in wandering around the Faire, because it's so gorgeous, so detailed and so DISNEY. Haven't many here been upset or disappointed that Disney has skimped on previous attractions? They didn't skimp here, it shows, and I hope people will give it a chance.
    ^This. It's going to be great getting stuff to eat at Maurice and soaking up the detail, even if you don't stay long, it's nice that they are going to actually use this space during the day, and on all the nights.

    Little girls love princesses, and their little brothers might like the plays they do . . . and I seriously doubt Disney will be *able* to put swing dancing back here on Saturday nights, last time I checked, there were little kids crawling around the park at all hours of the day, even Saturday nights.

  7. #142

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    LOL they DEFINITELY lied! Looking at those pics its no way could they ever get the dancing back in that theater since its clearly redesigned and they added props and a stage in there. But it looks good.
    The floor is perfectly flat, they just threw down some temporary rugs, looks exactly like it was refurbished with alternative uses in mind, otherwise they could have put in benches and stuff. It would be a very beautiful place for dancing . . . they could in theory keep the princess meet and greet open, and use this area for dancing.

  8. #143

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    The best thing about PFF is it opened the Fantasyland Theater back up for business. Now we're getting a new show. I mean, come on. That is cool. That's another thing I'm looking forward to this summer.
    Agreed! I said this earlier in this thread that DL is now getting more shows, something people complained a lack of having. I'm just happy we get two creative smaller stage shows and one big elaborate broadway type show like Aladdin.

    Even though you can't compare this summer to LAST summer with DCA finally becoming a read Disney park, it will be a little exciting with the new shows and area. Nothing to take planes from Australia to see lol, but for locals and people who come every summer it will be cool to experience it.

  9. #144

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The floor is perfectly flat, they just threw down some temporary rugs, looks exactly like it was refurbished with alternative uses in mind, otherwise they could have put in benches and stuff. It would be a very beautiful place for dancing . . . they could in theory keep the princess meet and greet open, and use this area for dancing.
    Yeah someone corrected me later in the thread. Yes IN THEORY I guess they could still do it, but just not swing dancing IMO. Something more akin to the area could be fun, like a dress up dance ball. In fact they could maybe do special events for the holidays with this theater now. See this is what is cool about when they revamp areas because now it gives them reasons to actually do special things with it. Who knows what they may do with the theater in the future now.

  10. #145

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't think people have an issue with how nicely done it is. That much is clear from the photos. The issue has always been about placement, not the quality of the final product.
    CPG was vacant most of the time, though I guess it was sort a quiet area overlooked by casual guests to Disneyland, hence APers probably loved it as they could soak up the atmosphere in a nice quiet area. I kinda think that most of the folks on this board who are upset about this change weren't the ones who were swing dancing, most of us have used CPG just for taking five.

    In a way, the APers lost one of their unofficial Disneyland community centers, but there still are quite a bit of quiet spots around Disneyland.

  11. #146

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,446

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Agreed! I said this earlier in this thread that DL is now getting more shows, something people complained a lack of having. I'm just happy we get two creative smaller stage shows and one big elaborate broadway type show like Aladdin.

    Even though you can't compare this summer to LAST summer with DCA finally becoming a read Disney park, it will be a little exciting with the new shows and area. Nothing to take planes from Australia to see lol, but for locals and people who come every summer it will be cool to experience it.
    Exactly. Technically three new shows and a very nice meet and greet area. Why are we complaining, again?

    I wasn't expecting the Fantasy Faire shows to be interesting like they are. To be honest, my expectations were quite low. I think the shows are very cute. Mickey's Magical Map looks quite interesting and I hope it actually is.

    Last summer was a blast. I'm looking forward to this summer and I hope 2015's summer will be entertaining and worth it, for the anniversary coming up.

    BTW, I'm black, too.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  12. #147

    • ~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    557

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I'm sure it was! And one time Matterhorn was labled in TL! Now its FL. Where TLM in DCA sits now use to be labled in Golden State. Now its part of PP. They change this stuff all the time on a whim or whatever fits their theming zones. Its artificial lines on a theme park map, they can change what they want. Of course you know that, the point is PFF just makes MORE sense to be next to the castle then does a contempoary stage area.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I just dont know how you can look at the castle and actually suggest something from MS belongs there?? Its odd to me. But, and I will say this again, it only makes sense because its been there forever!
    Actually, I believe that you took calsig's quote a little bit out of context. It appeared that calsig was replying more to this quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    You're taking an area, one that can be obviously considered to be on Main Street by an average guest, and comparing it to an area that sits in a far away corner, beyond the main part of Main Street and the hub, and next to SBC. PFF/CPG, an area in which I can bet if we were to ask an average guest if they thought the area was a part of Main Street, they'd say no. I just think the comparison is a little absurd.


    This post was a response to the recognition that while labels can be changed and lands can be re-organized, that doesn't always mean that it works, illustrated by the Star Wars example. Not exactly equivalent to PFF, but it does point out the flaw behind the argument that "lands can be changed." Yes, they can. It is possible to shift borders and reconstruct ideas of where boundaries are located, but the sheer fact that it's "possible" doesn't really mean anything. Since redoing the boundaries of Main Street for a Star Wars sub-land wouldn't be good design, one must ask why, then approach the question of PFF with the same reasoning. If boundaries of lands truly can be shifted, there has to be another reason why a Star Wars sub-land wouldn't work, as both areas where previously labeled as Main Street. I think this point illustrates the problem that many of us have with the specific "lands can be changed" argument. They can, but good design relies on more than sheer possibility. There's something deeper happening within the design and layout of the park. There is a beautiful balanced achieved between all the lands and how they interconnect as seen from the Hub. I think the main problem that many of us have with PFF is that disrupts this balance.

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    The same reason why its jarring for people to see the monorail go through BVS as a 'problem' but NO problem seeing the same monorail cross into FL and around a mountain is because they lived with it all their lives. Its just natural even though its just as much out of place as the newer stuff.

    And in 20 years time, no one is going to be able to imagine what it was like NOT to have PFF next to the castle. Thats the power of age and nostalgia kicking in!

    Actually, I don't have a problem with the monorail going through BVS nor do I have a problem with it winding through Fantasyland or around the Matterhorn. Likewise, I don't automatically dislike anything new nor do I think that PFF holds nothing for me. I like the architecture, I like the details, I like that the Fantasyland Theater is now vacant and can be used for a new show, I like that Disney created a nicely themed environment. I just don't like its location and feel like a more appropriate placement would be somewhere behind the castle. This coming from someone who never visited Carnation Plaza Gardens and thus feels no personal attachment to the venue, as well as someone who perfectly open to new, tasteful, well-designed and imagined changes in the park. I just don't think that an area connected directly to the Hub is a proper placement for a Fantasyland sub-land devoted to the princesses.

  13. #148

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,446

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E]This post was a response to the recognition that while labels can be changed and lands can be re-organized, that doesn't always mean that it works, illustrated by the Star Wars example. Not exactly equivalent to PFF, but it does point out the flaw behind the argument that "lands can be changed." Yes, they can. It is possible to shift borders and reconstruct ideas of where boundaries are located, but the sheer fact that it's "possible" doesn't really mean anything. Since redoing the boundaries of Main Street for a Star Wars sub-land wouldn't be good design, one must ask why, then approach the question of PFF with the same reasoning. If boundaries of lands truly can be shifted, there has to be another reason why a Star Wars sub-land wouldn't work, as both areas where previously labeled as Main Street. I think this point illustrates the problem that many of us have with the specific "lands can be changed" argument. They can, but good design relies on more than sheer possibility. There's something deeper happening within the design and layout of the park. There is a beautiful balanced achieved between all the lands and how they interconnect as seen from the Hub. I think the main problem that many of us have with PFF is that disrupts this balance.
    I never said anything about Star Wars not working where the Plaza Inn is. I said using that as a comparison is ridiculous because of the Plaza Inn's location, compared to CPG. Not to mention CPG was dead space. Another reason why it's incomparable to the Plaza Inn. I don't think Disney would take a perfectly good and functioning spot and totally re-theme it. CPG was a place for relaxation, swing dancing and bands/dancers.

    I'll say it for a third time, the good thing about PFF is you don't have to visit it. All those who oppose it, good news! You don't have to experience it.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  14. #149

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Exactly. Technically three new shows and a very nice meet and greet area. Why are we complaining, again?

    I wasn't expecting the Fantasy Faire shows to be interesting like they are. To be honest, my expectations were quite low. I think the shows are very cute. Mickey's Magical Map looks quite interesting and I hope it actually is.

    Last summer was a blast. I'm looking forward to this summer and I hope 2015's summer will be entertaining and worth it, for the anniversary coming up.

    BTW, I'm black, too.
    LOL, nice! It only took me six years of being here to meet another one!

    And I agree obviously, this area seems pretty cool. It wouldnt have been my first choice...hell it wouldnt have been my tenth lol. But seeing what they done with the little area and all the small details and the stage shows, once again they went just above and beyound than what I expected so I think thats very cool! And yes last summer was soooo much fun! The last few years at DLR has been great personnally to me and restored my faith in the resort, especially as great as DCA 2.0 turned out I honestly can't ask for more. I was one of the people a decade ago that wasnt even going to DLR anymore, just other Disney parks or travelling other places in general when I had time or money. It just sucked! But now, easily a great place to be! I'm amazed how much I love it when I do get to go these days...minus the costs lol. Its a great time to be a Disney fan IMO!

  15. #150

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    [COLOR=#3E3E3E]

    Actually, I believe that you took calsig's quote a little bit out of context. It appeared that calsig was replying more to this quote:


    Alright fair enough, I stand corrected!


    Actually, I don't have a problem with the monorail going through BVS nor do I have a problem with it winding through Fantasyland or around the Matterhorn. Likewise, I don't automatically dislike anything new nor do I think that PFF holds nothing for me. I like the architecture, I like the details, I like that the Fantasyland Theater is now vacant and can be used for a new show, I like that Disney created a nicely themed environment. I just don't like its location and feel like a more appropriate placement would be somewhere behind the castle. This coming from someone who never visited Carnation Plaza Gardens and thus feels no personal attachment to the venue, as well as someone who perfectly open to new, tasteful, well-designed and imagined changes in the park. I just don't think that an area connected directly to the Hub is a proper placement for a Fantasyland sub-land devoted to the princesses.
    And I agree with you 100% lol! Every single thing you just said I believe in obviously and I wouldve preferred it behind the castle walls as well! It seem like it would make a lot more sense too. Well I DOUBT PFF would existed at all if I ran the park, but this is why Disney keeps rejecting my applications I guess lol.

    But all said and done...its there now! I mean we can debate it for another decade (and I know these boards will lol) but the sucker opens next week so it is what it is. And I suspect the reasons it wasn't pushed back behind the castle besides probably wanting to do something that would bring people to this outdated area, they could have long term plans of some of that space in FL like the motor boat area or even the Small World mall. Its hard to say since none of us work for WDI sadly. Its just hard to know why they make the decisions they do when we only know 1 or 2 steps ahead and they could be thinking 10 steps ahead. So it was probably placed there because there was definite room and it was just enough space to do something with it. I dont know obviously, but the decision has been made and either people will really take to it OR just avoid it altogether. We will know soon I guess. Eitherway this area seems pretty cool!

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] First Look At the Blue Sky Cellar at California Adventure
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
  2. FIRST LOOK: Inside the Disney Dream Suite!
    By dlfreak in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
  3. First Look at The Frog Princess
    By NeverNeverland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM
  4. First look INSIDE The Land
    By General Grizz in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •