Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post

Its Disneys fault for not doing upkeep with it, but I guess with so few people even bothering to sit in the place, besides the odd sweeping and cleaning the tables the place look old and faded. I mean who would want to hang out there for more than a few minutes to rest? How many people went there to 'people watch'? There are just so many nicer, more themed areas to sit and relax in at DL. This wasnt one of them by any stretch of the means.
    If I was in a big party at the park, we'd sit at CPG for maybe fifteen minutes talking. I was always happy to leave the area as it felt isolated from the rest of the park being so vacant and rundown. I think if you took some Disneyland newbies to CPG they wouldn't be too impressed as it wasn't up to park standards.

If done with today's construction material, CPG could look really nice with gingerbread moulding and authentic touches, and if they removed the old Frontierland type little town . . . but the pay-off wouldn't be there as the area would still sit vacant most of the time (unless they started serving food, but they just opened the Jolly Holiday). And it still wouldn't "match" with the castle as well as PFF.

I'd see swing dancers/break dancers, whoever, doing stuff there and I'd avoid the place. I'm not into that type of live entertainment, and it seemed like a waste of space to do that inside the park. Sort of like how the Starcade was something you could get at any mall at one point in time, and I always thought the folks playing the games were wasting their time because Disneyland was just outside the door!

• Banned User

And I dont know how you can say it will be a ghost town when EVERYTIME I gone to the IASW mall, there are always lines for the princesses and remember the old PFF had huge waits as well. Thats why this place was designed to give them a permanent meet and greet area since they prove really popular. I forsee lines for this for a long long time. But I'm guessing at night it will be quieter. Thats when I will probably see it.

And its not meant for everyone, mainly whoever who is interested in meeting the princesses!
    Not everybody does the Sleeping Beauty castle walk-thru, but just about everybody enjoys the castle. Same thing with PFF, nice eye candy around the hub, and if you walk that way to Fantasyland even more nice stuff to look at, adds to the atmosphere.

Small kids filter out of Fantasyland after dusk, maybe there will be less of a line, but I'm thinking the place will almost always be packed:

1. Live entertainment will draw a crowd, some of them just casual rubber neckers.
    2. PFF is smaller than Fantasyland and I see a lot of families taking their kids (daughters mostly) to see the princesses on the way out.
    3. The line will stretch into the hub with some frequency (my prediction), and hence even at dusk you'll still have folks waiting to see the princesses.
    4. Folks watching parades/fireworks will line up at Maurice's for treats there. Even if Maurice's Treats are just 'OK' the novelty of visiting such a beautiful area is hard to resist.

Given how popular the meet and greets are, I think this area will be perpetually packed. I'm glad that the princess fans got a permanent place.

Even though I'm only 27, I would consider myself a "Disneyland traditionalist." I mourn the loss of CPG. Have anyone of you ever seen the 1962 Walt Disney Presents/Disneyland episode "Disneyland After Dark"? It shows CPG at its height as an entertainment venue. One could definitely have a nice evening there. Also, the place has a rich history given that people like Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington, Myron Floren, etc. all performed there. That said, CPG hasn't been used in that manner for at least twenty years or more. For better or worse, the times and the culture have changed. As it was, CPG had become a relic of a time long gone. My preference would have been for Disney to renovate it as is and bring back the big bands and other concerts. However, Disney took another approach. I've looked over the pictures and videos posted of PFF, and I think Disney has done an excellent job with the theming (I especially like the Figaro AA). I will be sure to give this section a thorough look over when I'm at the park next. Now, I'm still not convinced that this is the ideal location for PFF. Have any of you seen the Opening Day kinescope? In it, you see the draw bridge lowered on the castle to formally open Fantasyland. That is the reason why I have always considered Fantasyland to begin at the castle. To me, the placement of PFF undoes that symbolism of the castle gently guarding the magic and wonders of Fantasyland. With all of that said, when I am at the park next, I will gladly look at PFF to evaluate it with an open mind. Perhaps I will change my mind concerning the placement. The worse case scenario can only be that I like the area but dislike the location.
    Now, one idea that I am uncomfortable with is the idea that something should be removed because more people would enjoy the change. In the case of PFF, I don't think that too many people will argue that the swing dancers should take take precedent. However, could that same reasoning be used on attractions like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, the Main Street Cinema, etc? I hope these attractions have decent numbers, but my fear would be that some exec would think, "I wonder if we could appeal to a larger number of people if we were to remove these attractions and replace them with [insert some proposed ride of a popular Disney franchise]." I know that some around here would like a Beauty and the Beast D ticket attraction (just to give an example), and I wouldn't mind seeing that either. However, I don't want to see that ride at the expense of Mr. Toad.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Not everybody does the Sleeping Beauty castle walk-thru, but just about everybody enjoys the castle. Same thing with PFF, nice eye candy around the hub, and if you walk that way to Fantasyland even more nice stuff to look at, adds to the atmosphere.
    Yeah exactly! Thats all this place is, simply to add a little more atmosphere and give people a place to meet a few princesses. Its not suppose to be a 'big deal' or anything. Its not CL part deux. I don't even think there is any advertising for it, at least not traditional advertising. I havent seen anything for it anywhere and I live in L.A. Maybe stuff online and of course Disney websites, but I havent seen anything beyound that. Its not something people are suppose to fly across the country for like the new FL in WDW, its really just to take advantage of a very underused area since they wanted to use the theater in FL again and give the characters a permanent space. And like you said, not everyone does every little thing in the park, nor are they meant to.

Small kids filter out of Fantasyland after dusk, maybe there will be less of a line, but I'm thinking the place will almost always be packed:

1. Live entertainment will draw a crowd, some of them just casual rubber neckers.
    2. PFF is smaller than Fantasyland and I see a lot of families taking their kids (daughters mostly) to see the princesses on the way out.
    3. The line will stretch into the hub with some frequency (my prediction), and hence even at dusk you'll still have folks waiting to see the princesses.
    4. Folks watching parades/fireworks will line up at Maurice's for treats there. Even if Maurice's Treats are just 'OK' the novelty of visiting such a beautiful area is hard to resist.

Given how popular the meet and greets are, I think this area will be perpetually packed. I'm glad that the princess fans got a permanent place.
    Never thought about any of that, you could be right then, especially for the people waiting for the fireworks and want to get something to eat before although I read here its suppose to be close? And yes, if there are meet and greets that extend through the night then I suspect there will be lots of people lining up for them. I dont know how long they usually go for though although I read until sunset?

But I suspect they may have them go longer for awhile since its a new area. At least until they shut it down for the fireworks.

And I mentioned here that there is suppose to be night entertainment, probably the stage shows, so if thats true it will keep people around as well.

• Under that tree again!

Has anyone been at night?

Have you seen the Repunzel statue's hair glow?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Sock Puppet

I'm wondering how much of the PFF area is going to be closed during fireworks. People used to pack in around the southeast corner of CPG to watch and I wonder if that area will be closed off now, causing there to be even less space for viewing the fireworks in the hub. Also, both pathways to Frontierland used to remain open during the fireworks and hopefully they will continue to remain open. Disneyland certainly doesn't need LESS exits from the hub on nights when there are firework shows.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Has anyone been at night?

Have you seen the Repunzel statue's hair glow?
    I believe the AP offerings time slot doesn't include night time. Maybe some of the press got to see it, though.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

From some research, I found that "Walt Disney wanted Disneyland to change and evolve"

well, there you have it.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I believe the AP offerings time slot doesn't include night time. Maybe some of the press got to see it, though.

Sun is setting pretty late these days and the park closing early. Maybe tomorrow.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Sun is setting pretty late these days and the park closing early. Maybe tomorrow.
    It'll be darker in the mornings now, and brighter at night. But, you never know, maybe a video of the effect will pop up, soon.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    From some research, I found that "Walt Disney wanted Disneyland to change and evolve"

well, there you have it.
    Well clearly he meant every place but CPG! That was meant to stay forever.

I asked this before but maybe people missed it but does anyone know if the Dole whip will be here or not?

And what are people talking about with Repunzels hair glowing? I never heard of that.

• Minion

And what are people talking about with Repunzels hair glowing? I never heard of that.
    Rapunzel's hair on the tower is supposed to glow at night, according to the Imagineers.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post

well, there you have it.
    DisneyCo. Loves to play the Walt card when it suits there interests. DisneyCo. Could honestly care less about Walt unless it serves there interests.

Walt said this as well "

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."

"Disneyland is a show."

DisneyCo. Seems to have conveniently forgotten those important quotes.
    Removing the Friday and Saturday night big band and Dancing only to
    Replace it with yet another meet and greet specifically
    Designed for Girls, is a travesty.

Sorry, no amount of PR spin or social network planting is going to change this fact.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Rapunzel's hair on the tower is supposed to glow at night, according to the Imagineers.
    Wow interesting! See, its the little things I love!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    DisneyCo. Loves to play the Walt card when it suits there interests. DisneyCo. Could honestly care less about Walt unless it serves there interests.

Walt said this as well "

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."

"Disneyland is a show."

DisneyCo. Seems to have conveniently forgotten those important quotes.
    Removing the Friday and Saturday night big band and Dancing only to
    Replace it with yet another meet and greet specifically
    Designed for Girls, is a travesty.

Sorry, no amount of PR spin or social network planting is going to change this fact.
    I would give my left lung the day EVERYBODY would stop using the freakin Walt Disney quotes lol. And Disney has ended many popular activities in the park over the years for much bigger audiences. They have a place at DTD now and maybe in time they will find them another place either at DTD or maybe DCA.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 03-08-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast