Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast

Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    I just can't believe how many people find value in buying all this cheap plastic "made in China" princess crap for their little ones. How many fake metal princess crowns can you have? How much of this crap will end up in the dumpster in a few months?

Are you trying to say this is something new? I grew up in the 50s and 60s and my parents bought me plenty of cheap plastic toys. Since none of them are still around I assume they went in the dumpster.

I question I would pose about all this offering of princesses and their merchandise is this. Do people want this stuff because Disney offers it or does Disney offer it because people want it? Maybe a slight bit of former but I say primarily the latter. The tail doesn't wag the dog. Disney offers all this stuff because a whole lot of people want it, like it and will spend their money on it.

• formerly very helpful

LIke any toy, yes, the children will grow out of their princess toys, sooner or later. However, while they enjoy it, they are recieving benefits. It's called an active imagination. My youngest girl (8 in two weeks) still enjoys princesses. She and her friend will often dress up and role-play their parts as they create new adventures. They do similar role-playing when they play with their princess action figures. (lately my daughter has the Disney princess end up getting into the Tardis with the Doctor, but that's another story) Often, I've seen some of these stories translated into stories she writes in school, or even just for her own amusement.

Her goals for the future include wanting a career as a zoologist, since she wants to help animals. She's already planning for college. So her love of Disney princess is in no way limiting her perspective. (I know I haven't really read that criticism here, but I've heard it elsewhere.)
    At Disneyland, some of our fondest memories were of meeting the princesses that have so embraced her imagination. Years ago my daughter and I danced together at the Princess Fantasy Faire. I doubt she even remembers it, but for me, it's a memory that is cherished, and will be forever. This memory actually has given me a lot of comfort during some difficult times.

So the "crap will end up in the dumpster in a few months?" maybe. My girl still has princess toys from years ago, but every child is different. Point being, she'll probably outgrow it at some point, but for now, it's not "crap." It's valued treasures that help her use her imagination and see some beauty in the world. At times when she's been sad, I've seen her turn to her princess "crap" and just hold it, or dress up, and this has been a comfort to her.
    Is it for everyone? Of course not. For an example, her older sister (10 in three weeks) wants NOTHING to do with princesses. But for those who love it, it's hardly "crap."

And for those who don't love it, it's not hurting their ability to love Disneyland. Again, my older daughter is a bigger Disneyland fan than her princess-loving little sister. Somebody having something to enjoy doesn not stop others from enjoying other things.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    I just can't believe how many people find value in buying all this cheap plastic "made in China" princess crap for their little ones. How many fake metal princess crowns can you have? How much of this crap will end up in the dumpster in a few months?
    So is it ok for a Boy to have tons of Star Wars or Super Hero crap? Because I know I do so people like have a collection or collections of things

Might be just cheap plastic from chine but I like my Boba Fett Space Ship in my room, don't see why girls can't want princess dolls

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I don't see anything wrong with Children playing pretend. Parents have been buying their children, "stuff" since the beginning of time. Homes, attics, closets, garages, are filled with people's stuff. A lot of that stuff is forgotten, sure, but it's also tied up in memories for kids. Lots of other things end up in garbage dumps as well.

It never surprises me the direction that some of MiceChat's threads take.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Minion

ORDDU: It just goes to show that there is a certain bias against little girls and what they like as opposed to little boys and what they like. It often comes across as though there is a double standard in the minds of some people--as if they have an agenda to stamp out all things feminine. At the same time it's supposed to be okay to choose the masculine side of things. Thought we'd progressed further along by now. Apparently we haven't.

• Minion

There are a lot more boys interested in 'Cars' than girls. Its pretty much safe to say Carsland is more of a boys land then a girls land. There isn't really any land or attraction at Disneyland targeted towards girls other then the Fantasy Faire. A lot of little girls love the princesses. I'm sure everyone had a childhood character or toy or interest that meant the world to them, but now really have no interest in whatever it was. For a lot of girls getting to meet them really the princesses means the world to them.

• Minion

I found this video on YouTube. I think its a nice little addition that I had no idea existed until I stumbled upon it.

I also saw on the Disney Parks Blog that Rapunzel and Flynn will still meet at their meet and greet in Fantasyland as well as after their show in the Fantasy Faire.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: It just goes to show that there is a certain bias against little girls and what they like as opposed to little boys and what they like. It often comes across as though there is a double standard in the minds of some people--as if they have an agenda to stamp out all things feminine. At the same time it's supposed to be okay to choose the masculine side of things. Thought we'd progressed further along by now. Apparently we haven't.
    Well said. Just because something is directed toward girls doesn't mean it's less important or fun.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    So is it ok for a Boy to have tons of Star Wars or Super Hero crap? Because I know I do so people like have a collection or collections of things

Might be just cheap plastic from chine but I like my Boba Fett Space Ship in my room, don't see why girls can't want princess dolls
    Yup. How are "cheap plastic" princess things any different than cheap plastic Star Wars, Marvel, Mickey Mouse or other toys? Kids enjoy their "treasures" and why shouldn't they?

• Minion

I agree with everyone who's posted on this page. Well said, everyone.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The fiber optics "embedded" in the concrete slabs around Spaceship Earth look very literally like pixiedust sprinkled on the ground, and is an awesome effect. Not saying one way or another, that is what is in Rapunzel's tower,
    Ohh, I hope you're right. I want to like it, since I tend to enjoy sparkling things, but I can't imagine how it'd look in my head. Here's hoping it looks great.

• Sock Puppet

I'd say it's quite sad that Disney is so heavily reinforcing these outdated gender roles for marketing purposes. In the past Disneyland didn't have attractions that were specifically aimed at a male or female audience. Disneyland was for everyone.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    I'd say it's quite sad that Disney is so heavily reinforcing these outdated gender roles for marketing purposes. In the past Disneyland didn't have attractions that were specifically aimed at a male or female audience. Disneyland was for everyone.
    Wait. How is it reinforcing outdated gender roles? Little girls aren't required to pass the entrance turnstiles in full royal regalia. Boys aren't checked to see if they are dressed like lil' rapscallions that once inhabited the banks of the Mississippi River. Children like to dress up and some might argue, at Disneyland they may want to dress in the manner of the characters they see throughout the Park and other sources (from 1928 to the present). Disney provides the opportunity as it always has.

I still have my Davy Crockett hat.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Sad indeed. Those days were before Disney's Marketing and Consumer Products divisions became heavy hitters in a corporation hierarchy that just says "no" to non-branded attractions. The days before the advent of Eisner and his mandate that "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides," and his protege Pressler's mandate that every square foot of Disneyland is retail space. It's a brilliant business model for making money: repurpose the most famous theme park in the world as a venue for what are essentially fancy product displays and infomercials, market them to gender-specific Disney branded-lifestyle consumers (particularly kiddies), and charge them a fee to get into the park to see them.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-09-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• revolutionary waltz

Isn't insisting that an area themed to princesses = "girl's only" enforcing outdated gender roles more than anything though? Why is it okay for a girl to look up to male figures, but a boy can't see a role model in girl figures? Why can't a boy dream of being as determined or patient or kind as any of the princesses?

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast