Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast

Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    This may have been brought up before, but does anyone else think the Tangled Tower would have been way cooler as a fountain or sorts?

The problem with that I think would be that a fountain would have taken up a bigger footprint on the ground. The space in the area seems to be pretty small as it is.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    The problem with that I think would be that a fountain would have taken up a bigger footprint on the ground. The space in the area seems to be pretty small as it is.
    Maybe, but I think that it could have worked. You can see at the bottom of the tower there is some different flooring surrounding it. I think if the base of a fountain was put there (but made a little smaller) it could work well. Just wishful thinking!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    We aren't interested in Disney's BRAND!!! What we are looking for is unique merchandise that is related to specific parks and attractions.
    Disney does not lack for these items. Where are you looking?

Disney park guests buy crap because that's what the park sells. If they sold unique attraction/park related merchandise, guests would buy that. Bus, as mentioned before, cheap generic glow-spinnie-thingie junk is more profitable for Disney.
    No, this is the wrong formulation. Guest buy the crap because they are cheaper relative to the more expensive park specific or Disney branded merchandise. Besides, the generic glow items are fun for most kids to play with. Why would you deny Disney the chance to sell these items? Anyways, I seen plenty of Disney branded glow spinning toys with high markups. I didn't even know the park sells generic items. Retail has no rules. They are driven by markups.

Disneyland's merchandise took a nosedive in the 90's when Pressler's strategy reduced the quality of the park's merchandise in a similar manner. Cheap generic junk that had high return's to make Eisner happy.
    Why are we so concerned about the cheap merchandise? At one point, the parks didn't sell the Disney park specific items in favor of Disney branded generic items. Now, they sell a wide variety of items are all difference price points. They don't exclude anything. If you want more park specific items, you have to go buy them. Otherwise, more shelf space will be devoted to generic items. I happen to think the crappy items are impulse purchases. Easily available and easily sold. Shiny objects that require no time to consider. Easy profits. What's wrong with this? The stores still sells the regular stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Dont think Eisner has ran the company in a Decade Wiggins.
    I believe that Mr Wiggins was pointing out the various attitudes of those who, over the years, have differing attitudes about the role of merchandise in the parks.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    It should have been deemed so long ago.

I'm still amazed at the number of books--some of them graduate level--not only about Disneyland, but those that reference it as well. You'll never see that with any other theme park.

Well, I guess the place was a theme park. I think we've officially crossed the line to amusement park. To thunderous applause.

-and this is why I said some people seem to think DL should be a museum- unchanged and untouched.

I would ask why it's no longer a theme park to you- but......

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly right. The issue isn't about marketing at Disneyland. The issue is that the people doing the marketing have no idea what Disneyland is about.

Eisner thinks it's a place to duplicate Universal's "Ride the Movies" model, Iger thinks it's a product display mall for every brand the company can acquire, Disney Parks thinks it's a Disney Store, ODV thinks it's a county fair, TDA thinks its a WalMart with rides, and Imagineering thinks whatever management tells them to think. Like the blind men feeling the elephant, all of them are clueless what the soul of the beast really is.
    I guess this depends on who and when you were raised...I was raised in the 90s and my Dad told me from Day one all Disney wants is your money have fun but remember they are a business

There are a few things I will still disagree with what disney has done to the parks (mainly POTC with jack, tom sawyers island and the Buzz ride) but overall the reason I can't be bugged by Pixie Hallow or the Fantasy Fair is the fact that they are
    1) well themed
    2) didn't destroy any attractions
    3) they make money and people want these meet and greets
    4) they dont take up much room

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    -and this is why I said some people seem to think DL should be a museum- unchanged and untouched.

I would ask why it's no longer a theme park to you- but......
    To each their own. I do think there are some things that shouldn't be changed, but it all just depends on why it's being changed I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I guess this depends on who and when you were raised...I was raised in the 90s and my Dad told me from Day one all Disney wants is your money have fun but remember they are a business

There are a few things I will still disagree with what disney has done to the parks (mainly POTC with jack, tom sawyers island and the Buzz ride) but overall the reason I can't be bugged by Pixie Hallow or the Fantasy Fair is the fact that they are
    1) well themed
    2) didn't destroy any attractions
    3) they make money and people want these meet and greets
    4) they dont take up much room
    Some would argue it did destroy the CPG. I agree with your points though.

Some would argue it did destroy the CPG.

And I would argue that if you can't handle losing a essentially dead area, that was only being utilized one or two nights a week or by amateur performers that no one other than their family members watched....then you are viewing the park as a museum.

• -

Some would argue it did destroy the CPG.
    Yep
    And I would argue that if you can't handle losing a essentially dead area, that was only being utilized one or two nights a week or by amateur performers that no one other than their family members watched....then you are viewing the park as a museum.
    It's not losing the area as much as what it was lost to.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Your point seems a little biased, which is fine.

To me, CPG was a great place to unwind, whether the swing dancing was going on or not. If it was there was great entertainment, participation and music (and I would hardly call some of the dancers that showed up "amateur" nor would I say just their family showed up to watch) and if it wasn't it was a quiet place to have a seat or enjoy a snack. In my opinion, it had a timeless history (see "Date Night at Disneyland") seeing that it was essentially untouched. Nonetheless it was saddening to see it go.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This will be one of the arguments made if anything Marvel enters the Park. It will be interesting to see how the lines/sides of debaters change on theme, branding, and appropriateness of the placement of Marvel within a Land.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

How much boy merchandise is being offered at the store? That is a good indicator that this was designed as a place for girls only. From the pics displayed so far the store appears to be very gender specific like the rest of the Fantasy Faire.
    *sigh* Here we go gendering the toys again. I don't think the CMs stop boys or girls from buying whatever they want. How much stereotypically "girl merchandise" is offered at the Star Trader? Does that mean Tomorrowland is for boys only?

And anyway, the shops in Fantasyland have always offered a wide variety of merchandise that might be considered more stereotypically "boy," including archery sets (they always have a plain one in addition to the Merida glitter one), swords, shields, crowns, etc. I'd presume that the PFF is no different.

• Minion

Yep

If it had to be lost to something, I can't think of anything that could have beat Fantasy Faire Village.

• Closed Account

My question is, why was it a dead area utilized only one or two nights a week or by amateur performers that no one other than their family members watched?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    My question is, why was it a dead area utilized only one or two nights a week or by amateur performers that no one other than their family members watched?
    I think the answer is pretty simple: Swing dancing is no longer a popular thing to do. At least, it's not as popular as it used to be. There is a very limited audience for this sort of venue. Thus, the CPG was a ghost town.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast