Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think that most of the fans of the CPG, as it has existed for many years, wanted the area to remain a "quiet spot", maybe with adding some food options. For the vast majority of guests who knew about CPG, it was a nice little quiet spot with the "hidden bathrooms" and the entrance to Frontierland.

Maybe most of the opposition is to losing a quiet area of Disneyland in that what is there will undoubtedly make PFF a beehive of activity.

It seems that APers wanted upgraded food services *and* for the area to remain/become a "a nice out of the way eating area with a great view of Main Street and the castle.", as you put it . . . with Disneyland getting so crowded and drawing in more guests, I don't it's a good idea to try to keep a place secret and upgraded with new services.
    As an AP holder, and someone who was saddened by the removal of the CPG I can say that the main reason I was opposed to the new PFF (other than the fact that it doesn't appeal to me as a 22 year old male) is not just because it was a secluded area, but IMO it was one of the last untouched spots of the park.

I'll expand on that because I know when anyone on here says those words they immediately get shut down and get labeled as someone who wants the park to be a museum. Like I said earlier, the CPG offered something different. It's one of those little things that separates Disneyland from other theme parks. It offered live music, guest participation, and entertainment to those who stopped in to watch. Not to mention the countless schools/groups that had performances there throughout the years. Even if the swing dancing was only a few days a week it brought a certain life to the hub, and it was a tradition spanning back to the parks opening.

While I understand the move they made, it's still a bummer. The PFF area looks amazing, and will no doubt bring in heaps of people, plus we get a live show back in the Fantasyland Theater. So that's a win I suppose. I just wish it could have been done different. But, at least we still have the Motorboat Cruise dock..for now.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Much ado about nothing. While you're correct about anyone being able to buy anything, the BBB is pretty much geared towards girls. There is no denying that. I don't think anyone is saying that "only girls can buy stuff here" but more so it's marketed to girls more than anything.

The poster to which I was replying was trying to imply that the PFF was for girls only. Is it marketed to girls more than boys? I would imagine so, at least those girls who enjoy princesses (and that's not every girl). There's no sign out front saying boys aren't allowed in, and if a boy looked away from the princesses there are things he could possibly enjoy in a medieval town square. Just about every little kid loves to hear a story, for instance.

Point remains that other areas of the park are marketed far more to boys than girls (Tomorrowland merch offerings; Cars Land, etc.) and nobody raises a fuss about it or complains that girls will be alienated. With the PFF, though, it seems that since it's marketed to girls who like princesses, it's somehow a lesser entity, and instead of telling the detractors "enjoy it or go somewhere else" - as we do with Tomorrowland, Cars Land, etc. - it somehow becomes an object of criticism. Heaven forbid we have something that appeals to girls who like princesses, because their interests aren't as valid as Star Wars/Marvel/stereotypically "boy" interests, right? That is the sentiment I see over and over again in this thread.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Well they did add a food cart. That alone would have boosted the crowds considerably.

One point though - If this area is not a part of Main Street, then the amount of restaurants that there are on Main Street shouldn't make a difference, should it?
    They added a cart not a full restaurant because less then 100 feet away were 3 of those...one in Frontierland, and two at the end of Main Street...they wanted a new attraction/Sub area for people to go and get to meet the princess
    The Cart is more to offer a small snack and "unique" treats and items like the Beast Cup
    Also the fact that in that area there are 40 min waits for Princesses and 2 shows that go on ALL day is great because it helps spread guests out in the park.
    To me this area changing is like DCA changing...yeah I loved how DCA had NO one in it for years but do I really want Disney not to change it up...put some money into it and then make profit...no because they're a business and this area they made makes a good amount of money for the space it takes up

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The poster to which I was replying was trying to imply that the PFF was for girls only. Is it marketed to girls more than boys? I would imagine so, at least those girls who enjoy princesses (and that's not every girl). There's no sign out front saying boys aren't allowed in, and if a boy looked away from the princesses there are things he could possibly enjoy in a medieval town square. Just about every little kid loves to hear a story, for instance.

Point remains that other areas of the park are marketed far more to boys than girls (Tomorrowland merch offerings; Cars Land, etc.) and nobody raises a fuss about it or complains that girls will be alienated. With the PFF, though, it seems that since it's marketed to girls who like princesses, it's somehow a lesser entity, and instead of telling the detractors "enjoy it or go somewhere else" - as we do with Tomorrowland, Cars Land, etc. - it somehow becomes an object of criticism. Heaven forbid we have something that appeals to girls who like princesses, because their interests aren't as valid as Star Wars/Marvel/stereotypically "boy" interests, right? That is the sentiment I see over and over again in this thread.
    I'm sorry, I was confused there. The point still stands though. No one is saying boys can't enjoy PFF or the meet and greets, nor can they not purchase merchandise. Generally, Princess-type stuff is marketed heavily towards girls. Same thing applies for Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Cars merchandise that is marketed towards boys. Everything else seems pretty unisex if you ask me. I've never thought any gender was being alienated while I am in the parks.

•   
    • Minion

I'm sorry, I was confused there. The point still stands though. No one is saying boys can't enjoy PFF or the meet and greets, nor can they not purchase merchandise. Generally, Princess-type stuff is marketed heavily towards girls. Same thing applies for Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Cars merchandise that is marketed towards boys. Everything else seems pretty unisex if you ask me. I've never thought any gender was being alienated while I am in the parks.
    We seem to be on the same page on this one then. I've never felt either gender was particularly alienated either - some things are marketed more to specific demographics, but if you don't like something, you just go enjoy something else in the park. And maybe as a parent you let your kid try everything, rather than telling them they can't do something because it's "for boys" or "for girls."

It seems that for some who oppose the PFF, though, the fact that it's marketed toward girls who like princesses is a major negative because they feel it alienates anyone who isn't in that demo.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Was there any sort of opening ceremony this morning

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Banned User

While I understand the move they made, it's still a bummer. The PFF area looks amazing, and will no doubt bring in heaps of people, plus we get a live show back in the Fantasyland Theater. So that's a win I suppose. I just wish it could have been done different. But, at least we still have the Motorboat Cruise dock..for now.
    I'd honestly prefer they turn that back into an attraction too. They simply have too many films that fall into this land to have dead space in it. The least they could do is redesign it to look more fantasy like. The area looks forgotten. I'm all for quiet spots, but this land needs the real estate.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I'd honestly prefer they turn that back into an attraction too. They simply have too many films that fall into this land to have dead space in it.
    For the millionth time not every attraction needs to be based on a movie!

From Today....
    Only two sets of Princesses (Aurora and Cinderella). No other Princesses out in the back half of the Park (Hub to Small World) today. No Ariel, Snow White, Mulan, Tiana, Fairy God Mother, Evil Queen between 12:30 - 4:00pm as usual.

They closed the entrance and sidewalk at the Hub, to make room for "some" of the strollers.
    However there were many more inside the area.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post

They closed the entrance and sidewalk at the Hub, to make room for "some" of the strollers.
    However there were many more inside the area.
    Such a lovely site from the hub. I don't know what's worse - that or the hideous Tomorrowland rocks/Astro Orbiter!

• "I don't like the color"

Such a lovely site from the hub. I don't know what's worse - that or the hideous Tomorrowland rocks/Astro Orbiter!
    Good Lord that looks horrible.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I must agree, and I usually try and look at things positively.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Banned User

I didn't say that they did. I don't know what you're reacting to so strongly. I simply said that in this particular land, since there are so many films that can fall into it, there's not a lot of room for empty, unused space. If they wanna put a non film related attraction in fine, but use the space. That being said, I know no one outside of this board who cares about them making more non movie attractions. They're a film studio and that's what the public wants.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Let's hope they figure out that stroller situation ASAP.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Edit: Maul responded as I type this up. I'll leave it up for what it's worth.

You might bash your head less if you had read and quoted the sentence after the ones you did.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL
    The least they could do is redesign it to look more fantasy like.
    Maul didn't advocate (at least to my reading of the post) placing an movie-based attraction at that spot. Detractors of movie-based attractions have said many times in threads, on this board, that Fantasyland has been the realm of Walt Disney Pictures based rides. I read it as Maul saying that the fact that of the many franchises that have yet to be exploited, one has yet to fill that piece of land.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast