Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 437
  1. #361

    • Original Mice-Chatter
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,255

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Is losing an area that hasn't been used much for 25 years to a well themed mini-land (even if it is geared toward a demographic different from you) that horrible? I say no.
    And how does it make Disneyland an amusement park rather than a theme park? How does it destroy Disney? How is it not Disney enough?

  2. #362

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    And how does it make Disneyland an amusement park rather than a theme park? How does it destroy Disney? How is it not Disney enough?
    Disneyland was originally exceedingly well-thought-out in its design, by folks who knew how to tell stories through the medium of film. When they designed the Park, they designed it as a filmmaker would, with a Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, etc. They knew that if they dropped you into Scene 4, it would be jarring. It was a thoroughly masterful--even revolutionary-- concept, and launched Disneyland as a true cultural, if not artistic, icon and masterwork.

    What Disneyland has been doing recently is create jarring areas that don't follow the "format" of the orignal park.

    Just because an area is highly-detailed doesn't mean it contributes to the overall Park experience. No one has disputed the craftsmanship of the work itself--only its concept.

    Busch Gardens Williamsburg features several nicely-detailed themed areas, each based on a European country or region. Some of the details are just wonderful and can be just as lavish and detailed as anyting at a Disney Park. However, I don't know anyone who would call it a "theme park" in the Disney sense.

    In fact, BGW is a wonderful amusement park (which features both merchandise and food themed to the area, and both of which are better quality than what can be found at Disneyland. But that's a discussion for another thread). But it's still an amusement park which--in my opinion--is the direction Disneyland has been going for many years now.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 03-13-2013 at 11:38 AM.

  3. #363

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Redistricting a land does not weaken the "story" of the park at all. There are no "mini-lands". Either you're in one land or another. It's black and white. It used to be Main St, now it's Fantasyland. It's not like they put them in the middle of Tom Sawyer Island. There's nothing jarring about this. The transition is quite well done. CPG was fine, but wasn't being maintained. I can only speak for myself, but I've had a pass for almost 10 years and don't remember the last time I set foot there, for any reason other then to cross to Frontierland. This expansion not only pleases guests, which should matter, but allows for Walt's favorite land to grow and reopen the Theatre. This is all for the better good. People obviously aren't going to like every change, but let's keep things in perspective. They're not "exploiting" their franchise, they're meeting a demand. We're all just here to enjoy and celebrate the park. It's never gonna be a museum. You gotta go with the flow sometimes.

  4. #364

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    I do hope you enjoy it.

  5. #365

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,731

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Where have you heard that Fantasyland was Walt's favorite land? I'm not disputing this - just wondering where you heard about this. Common sense would say he preferred Main Street or NOS because that's where he chose to live but I could be wrong in that assumption.

  6. #366

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Common sense would say he preferred Main Street or NOS because that's where he chose to live but I could be wrong in that assumption.
    I don't think you are wrong.

  7. #367

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Where have you heard that Fantasyland was Walt's favorite land? I'm not disputing this - just wondering where you heard about this. Common sense would say he preferred Main Street or NOS because that's where he chose to live but I could be wrong in that assumption.
    I thought it was common knowledge that it was his favorite land. I've heard it for years. I'll try to find a source.

  8. #368

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    879

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I thought it was common knowledge that it was his favorite land. I've heard it for years. I'll try to find a source.
    Well remember FL was never up to Disney's own original standards and expectations during his lifetime...
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  9. #369

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

    What Disneyland has been doing recently is create jarring areas that don't follow the "format" of the orignal park.

    . . .

    Just because an area is highly-detailed doesn't mean it contributes to the overall Park experience. No one has disputed the craftsmanship of the work itself--only its concept.
    Princess Fantasy Faire corrects the problem with Carnation Plaza Gardens which was having a relatively un-themed dance ramada right next to Sleeping Beauty castle. Sure, CPG's signage was in the style of the hub restaurants, but it was on the wrong side of the hub! And beyond the sign there wasn't much. CPG was not part of Main Street in terms of continuity as the perimeter of the hub proper has always been where we have the transition to different lands. Look at the following map:

    Name:  map-of-disneyland.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  96.3 KB

    Back when CPG existed it was geographically positioned as being part of Fantasyland! Makes sense, right next to the castle on the Fantasyland side of the moat, opposite Snow White's wishing well.

    If CPG was part of Main Street, then I guess Snow White's wishing well should be turned into a Tomorrowland attraction?

    It is obvious that PFF isn't going anywhere, might as well let the fans who enjoy highly detailed great new attractions enjoy this welcomed addition to the park (for 98% of guests).

  10. #370

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I thought it was common knowledge that it was his favorite land. I've heard it for years. I'll try to find a source.
    I believe that Walt referred to Fantasyland as the "most magical kingdom of them all."

    In the end each land is like a separate course in a fancy dinner, they each have their own merits.

  11. #371

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,540

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    When I worked in Fantasyland, during training, I was told Fantasyland was one of his favorites and one that gave him joy. I don't know if it was his ultimate favorite, though I have heard that as well.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  12. #372

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Where have you heard that Fantasyland was Walt's favorite land? I'm not disputing this - just wondering where you heard about this. Common sense would say he preferred Main Street or NOS because that's where he chose to live but I could be wrong in that assumption.
    The firehouse was one of the first buildings built, (after the Opera house which was used as a mill), and Main Street has a lot of everyday buildings, plus it has easy access to the front of the park/transportation, so it makes sense that he setup shop there in order to easily meet guests. NOS has a lot of buildings, makes sense that he'd put the apartment there.

    Unless he built the apartment in the castle, there aren't many places where an apartment could easily be added, especially since Fantasyland didn't get a lot of $ in the early days.

  13. #373

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    When I worked in Fantasyland, during training, I was told Fantasyland was one of his favorites and one that gave him joy. I don't know if it was his ultimate favorite, though I have heard that as well.
    Walt was OK with Disneyland changing as he said it would never be finished, he himself changed the Jungle Cruise from serious to more comedic. I think Walt would realize that swing dancing was well past its prime, and he'd love to add anything that guests will enjoy, and given that it is in the theme of the Fantasyland he wanted to build, I think he'd like it.

  14. #374

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,646

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Sure, CPG's signage was in the style of the hub restaurants, but it was on the wrong side of the hub!
    There is no wrong side of the hub. The entire Central Plaza is part of Main Street. At least it was until the modern Disney Corp decided to let the seams rip open to the adjacent lands.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  15. #375

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    879

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There is no wrong side of the hub. The entire Central Plaza is part of Main Street. At least it was until the modern Disney Corp decided to let the seams rip open to the adjacent lands.
    Well what if, hypothetically, instead of Fantasy Fair, we got a whole new land with its own unique theme and it went where BTMRR and FF stands now. This new land would have portions visible from the hub like every other current land and had its own themed entrance touching the hub where the FF entrance is now. Would that be ok? If so, then how is FF any different from that? Is it because FL should be behind the castle? Then that implies FF detracts from FL and not MS like you say.

    I think FF is being called out and judged unfairly compared to the other lands/sublands of the park. Why is TL allowed to have a future themed entrance right on the hub with many of its attractions visible from there? Why is FL allowed a HUGE castle entrance with the matterhorn, carousel, and FL theater all visible from the hub? Because if FF and its visible tent and architecture bother you, then the astro orbitor, Star tours, Former rocket jets platform, PM track, Innoventions, Buzz should also be bothering you as well.

    Imo, I feel like a lot of these theories and attempts to objectively prove why FF doesn't fit are ways for some to avoid stating how they really feel. Olivia stated her opinions beautifully on the matter by saying it just didn't feel right to her. I respect that honesty a lot.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] First Look At the Blue Sky Cellar at California Adventure
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
  2. FIRST LOOK: Inside the Disney Dream Suite!
    By dlfreak in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
  3. First Look at The Frog Princess
    By NeverNeverland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM
  4. First look INSIDE The Land
    By General Grizz in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •