Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 437
  1. #46

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    279

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    The downside is the loss of the swing dancing. IMO that wasn't very family oriented because many families obviously didn't show up enough to keep it going.
    Every time I stopped by to watch the dancing the area was full of multigenerational families watching and dancing together.

  2. #47

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    279

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Sure I understand that, but its STILL happening, just at DTD, which seems to be even more popular there because there are so many more spectators to check it out. The few times I watched it at DL, majority who were around were just the dancers themselves and maybe a few dozen people watching. Thats fine, but this new area will bring in hundreds every hour and it will be for families. Swing dancing is for a very specific demographic.

    Honestly I think its probably better they keep it in DTD where it is now. One, it brings more real live entertainment there and its from actual guest which makes it cooler. Two, its free, more important lol. Three, they have a MUCH bigger audience now to watch them and participate if they choose. The people I see watching them swing dance is easily 3 or 4 times what I see at DL.

    I could see them bringing it to Hollywoodland though and actually dress it up in the building where WWTBAM was. They hold a dance show there now for the kids up to a certain hour and then maybe that can transform to swing dancing at night. OF COURSE the problem is it would compete with Mad T Party and no way is that going lol, so it may conflict with each other but if the swing dance is only Saturday nights like it was at DL and now DTD, it probably could work if they keep it in the building. But honestly it works at DTD too and people seem to come out for it like at DL. Maybe more so now without having to pay just to do it.
    I couldn't see myself stopping very often in DTD to watch dancing, but then I can't stand DTD.

  3. #48

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    They should just move it to Hollywoodland or BVS. Maybe use the space where dancin with disney is now for a more theme appropriate show, or they could put it somewhat near ToT for a small show and theme it around the tip top club

    FF looks really nice. For some reason it looks bigger than I expected. I think it would be cool if they had non official disney princesses/heroines in the area as well like Megra, Kida, maybe even Esmerelda
    Last edited by imaginashton; 03-06-2013 at 06:29 AM.

  4. #49

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    58

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Dancing in DTD is a survival at best. Occaisionally a dance floor which is way smaller than the old CPG, smokers, extreme crowding (which isn't fair to the normal DTD patrons), increased crime, no where to really sit, very weather sensitive not to mention moving from place to place each week like transients.

    How many kids are wide awake on Saturday night at 8pm? The floor is still there. Stage is still there. Wouldn't hurt anyone and the dancers, onlookers and others at the old CPG on Saturday nights were usually full if not packed. and yes, multi-generational. Many professional dancers (non-disney) went there for fun. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

    DTD just doesn't cut it though Michael and Olivia are truly amazing in keeping the tradition going while in exile!

  5. #50

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,927
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Every time I stopped by to watch the dancing the area was full of multigenerational families watching and dancing together.
    I'm sure many nights a few hundred people stopped by but I will bet 1 Million dollars that this area gets 10 times the foot traffic then it did before...it's got a meet and greet, store, food cart, detailed atmosphere and a little show (mainly for kids)
    I hope they bring the dancing back because...well why not but I dislike soo much that people think that swing dancing was really "that" big of an event because it was not...it was a fun small little unique thing the park had, I understand why people want it but this new subland makes more sense because
    1) they can make money
    2) make a permanent place for the princesses ]
    3) use the land to it's fullest and have it crowded day and night

  6. #51

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,542

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I wish they could knock out other dead areas of the park and really dress it up!
    Not every area of the park must be jam packed with wall to wall people.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  7. #52

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    58

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not every area of the park must be jam packed with wall to wall people.
    It used to be a great area to enjoy a quiet lunch or have mothers let their children take a nap while they had a break. Oh well, progress!

  8. #53

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,927
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    ^how about wall to wall creeps?
    I get people want open and somewhat "dead" area's but if you want that go to Critter Country or DCA....I'm not saying every inch needs to be used but when you have area's like the Autopia area for example taking up what could be a new area with new rides instead of what it is now....heck I even see Toontown as a "dead" area compared to what it could be if they made it as Fantasyland expansion

  9. #54

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    942

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Every time I stopped by to watch the dancing the area was full of multigenerational families watching and dancing together.
    Four hours per week; Saturday nights from 7PM to 11:30PM. The rest of the time Plaza Gardens was vacant and abandoned, or given over to "dance crews" doing this for two dozen parents and chaperones...

  10. #55

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Four hours per week; Saturday nights from 7PM to 11:30PM. The rest of the time Plaza Gardens was vacant and abandoned, or given over to "dance crews" doing this for two dozen parents and chaperones...
    It was a different story back when the Park was able to book top-notch talent.

    Times have changed--and once again, not for the better.

  11. #56

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    301

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    It was a different story back when the Park was able to book top-notch talent.

    Times have changed--and once again, not for the better.

    Please correct me if I am wrong but I am sure it has been at least 30 years since any "big names" like Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Lionel Hampton and others have performed at the Plaza Gardens.

    Maybe the change is not for the better as you say but those days were just never coming back.

  12. #57

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,843

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Four hours per week; Saturday nights from 7PM to 11:30PM. The rest of the time Plaza Gardens was vacant and abandoned, or given over to "dance crews" doing this for two dozen parents and chaperones...
    Yup.

    None of those children were professional dancers; those were all students at dance recitals doing their best. I'm not going to mock them or criticize them. The point is that they weren't professional entertainment, they weren't expected to be, and it wasn't fair to them OR to the park guests to expect them to be (how many of us would have liked our school plays to be judged on the same level as a Broadway show??). Disney perhaps was not the perfect venue for them because the only ones watching were their parents and friends.

    Putting professional Disney entertainment in this space is a massive improvement, IMHO. The Beauty and the Beast and Rapunzel films CAN appeal to all ages and both genders, and hearing that Disney is bringing back something as simple as storytelling - and the art of pantomime - makes me very happy.

    As to the swing dancing, I know it's very disappointing that it's gone, and yes, Disney should have been straight about it. However, perhaps there's a way to convince them to bring it back to DCA (the PERFECT place for it, as mentioned, might be Paradise Gardens) or make a better space for it in DTD. I would think DTD might be better for some people because it doesn't require park admission.

    As to Fantasy Faire itself, IMHO this space is beautiful. Simply beautiful. I have zero interest in meeting the princesses but I am very interested in wandering around the Faire, because it's so gorgeous, so detailed and so DISNEY. Haven't many here been upset or disappointed that Disney has skimped on previous attractions? They didn't skimp here, it shows, and I hope people will give it a chance.

  13. #58

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,542

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    As to Fantasy Faire itself, IMHO this space is beautiful. Simply beautiful. I have zero interest in meeting the princesses but I am very interested in wandering around the Faire, because it's so gorgeous, so detailed and so DISNEY. Haven't many here been upset or disappointed that Disney has skimped on previous attractions? They didn't skimp here, it shows, and I hope people will give it a chance.
    I don't think people have an issue with how nicely done it is. That much is clear from the photos. The issue has always been about placement, not the quality of the final product.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  14. #59

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    843

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yup.

    None of those children were professional dancers; those were all students at dance recitals doing their best. I'm not going to mock them or criticize them. The point is that they weren't professional entertainment, they weren't expected to be, and it wasn't fair to them OR to the park guests to expect them to be (how many of us would have liked our school plays to be judged on the same level as a Broadway show??). Disney perhaps was not the perfect venue for them because the only ones watching were their parents and friends.
    We may not have been professional, but when I was in choir, we all loved to perform at DL. We didn't care about the lack of audience. We all just loved being able to sing at disneyland. And since nothing else was being used in the area at the time, I don't think it was really hurting anyone. It was a nice little thing disney did for the local communities in a space no one was using at the time.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  15. #60

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,843

    Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't think people have an issue with how nicely done it is. That much is clear from the photos. The issue has always been about placement, not the quality of the final product.
    Placement and content, from what I recall from other threads...but the thing is, regardless, it's done now. It's built. It's opening next week. And Disney really has gone out of its way to make this space special.

    So at the risk of sounding like an eternal optimist - why not enjoy what is there, rather than getting upset or irritated that it's not situated where one would have preferred it to be?

    To me, it's a lot like the thread on the Jolly Holiday Bakery - there are all sorts of divergent opinions on the wherefores and hows of the JHH, and nobody's ever going to force an agreement, but the bottom line is that it's a richly detailed place with decent (sometimes, LOL) food. It's there now. Would one rather continue to grumble that it's there, or go in and enjoy what Disney has created?

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] First Look At the Blue Sky Cellar at California Adventure
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
  2. FIRST LOOK: Inside the Disney Dream Suite!
    By dlfreak in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
  3. First Look at The Frog Princess
    By NeverNeverland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM
  4. First look INSIDE The Land
    By General Grizz in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •