Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• "I don't like the color"

Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I am hoping they find a way to use this area at night. They could have the princesses in night time ball attire or something. Would be so lame to end the greets at 6 and have a dorment area till closing.
    I wonder if they will close down the area when the fireworks are scheduled.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Increase crime?? What? DTD is just as safe as DL last time I checked. And I dont get what you mean when you say increased crowding since that area has been used for bands to play and people to dance in already?

And by the looks of what they did to the old stage in CPG its NO WAY they can ever use it again for swing dancing. I've seen vids of it now and they added benches, carpeting, props, etc. Its basically been remodled now as a mini auditorium with the stage redesigned to fit the area. Its no longer a bare floor anymore. Its looks nice though. MUCH nicer than I thought it would be. And I suspect the area itself will be really busy for the first few months with people just walking around. A contempoaray swing band with music in the middle of an enchanted villiage would seriously, seriously be out of theme lol. I still have NO idea what Disney was thinking if they told dancers they would be able to come back when it was finished because it would kill the theme to the place, even if its just a few hours. It would look severely out of place now. It was fine when it was just CPG and no one was around, but now? Yeah, wouldnt work.
    1. Huge differnce in security at DTD (completely open) to inside Disneyland. Already had some theft in DTD.
    2. With the number of dancers/onlookers in DTD, the normal traffic can hardly walk in the area which makes some of the patrons "not happy". At CPG, area is "remote" and doesn't impact normal flow of traffic even if CPG was completely packed.
    3. Huge difference in size of dance floor at CPG and DTD...and often no dance floor but just concrete. Tried dancing on concrete before? Can you spell "shin splints"?
    4. Most of the "dance area" inside the new Royal Theatre are easliy moved much like the last chairs, tables, mats, etc... As far as themeing...you're probably correct. How does big band fit in the medieval themeing...not too well. But then again, how does medieval themeing fit into turn of the century main street and the circle in front of the castle.
    5. Only point is that almost all meet 'n greets and similar theatre's close down by 7pm (especially Saturdays) since most kids are getting tired, go home, exhausted, etc... leaving an opportunity to leverage that space with several hundred premium passholder paying patrons.

No argument that the area is quite nice and professionally built. I like it. But also believe it will work as an evening music venue on saturday evenings much as it has for the last 57+ years. Just need to be patient.

• ShovelyBubblyGobblyGook

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Full video of Tangled at Royal Theatre!! I love love love this! Minor sound issues, live theatre for you!

UGH I couldn't help myself I watched the whole thing and cackled all the way through! It's EXACTLY how I expected it to be & I love it! Reminds me of all the acting troupes at the Renaissance Faire that I adore I am so excited!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Am I mistaken or did I read there is also a Beauty and the Beast show that alternates with the Tangled one? If so does anybody have a link to the video? If not... how did I make that up? haha
    I can't find a full video of it but heres some clips of it

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Full beauty and the beast video!!!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I bet they will keep this meet and greet location open for the entire operating day, at least for awhile.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post

I would guess yes. I really miss the days when the storybook rides were open during the fireworks. They had no lines it was awesome!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I can't imagine why they would. Only a small portion leading up to the west castle entrance would be closed off for fireworks previously.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jrramsey View Post
    1. Huge differnce in security at DTD (completely open) to inside Disneyland. Already had some theft in DTD.
    Ok, but thats not really the same thing though. Theft can happen anywhere, including the theme parks. I got my own camera taken in 2007 by accidently leaving it on a counter in a store on MS. I left it for just a few minutes, came back and it was gone. It happens! What I mean is in terms of safety! I mean is there any violence, fights breaking out, stuff like that? And obviously no. DTD is just as safe as anywhere else in the resort. I been there probably a hundred times now and I never remotely felt worried about anything there. I think people who go dancing or whatever have no issues to dance there.

2. With the number of dancers/onlookers in DTD, the normal traffic can hardly walk in the area which makes some of the patrons "not happy". At CPG, area is "remote" and doesn't impact normal flow of traffic even if CPG was completely packed.
    I think the number of dancers and onlookers at DTD is a GOOD thing! It means people are having a good time! And yes, CPG WAS remote, but I think its safe to say from next week on, thats all going to change anyway. At least Disney is hoping lol.

3. Huge difference in size of dance floor at CPG and DTD...and often no dance floor but just concrete. Tried dancing on concrete before? Can you spell "shin splints"?
    Well I can spell it now lol. Ok, fair enough and maybe they can find a way to make it more accomodating there, I dont know. But they cant dance at the CPG and people still dance at DTD even with the concrete so it cant be that bad. But sure, I agree if they can find a better floor or area, thats fine obviously.

4. Most of the "dance area" inside the new Royal Theatre are easliy moved much like the last chairs, tables, mats, etc... As far as themeing...you're probably correct. How does big band fit in the medieval themeing...not too well. But then again, how does medieval themeing fit into turn of the century main street and the circle in front of the castle.

5. Only point is that almost all meet 'n greets and similar theatre's close down by 7pm (especially Saturdays) since most kids are getting tired, go home, exhausted, etc... leaving an opportunity to leverage that space with several hundred premium passholder paying patrons.
    I'm sorry but c'mon! I dont read these boards much anymore, but I read the one where people are bothered that they can SEE PFF from the hub, which is an odd argument to me since you can see basically everything from the hub already lol, but I do get it. I just disagree. I remember a thread where someone didnt like the monorail passing through BVS for a few seconds because it doesnt match the theme of BVS. I remember when people got upset because the plaque on CCT signified the present day or something when we are suppose to be in the past. And these threads went on forever. These are tiny things at the end of the day and where 99% of people wouldnt even notice nor care.

But then somehow its ok to throw an early American 20th century dance party in the middle of midievel faire?? I mean thats just so odd to me? It just seems like a stretch. And wouldnt it just confuse everybody to be walking through this area at night pretending you are in 18th century Europe and this big loud band is blasting Cab Calloway music just a few feet from you? To me its basically the equivalent of having the Tomorrowland Terrance play in Adventureland. And Disney should pay staff to litterally clear this theater every Saturday night and reassemble it so a FEW people can dance? I'm sorry I can't blame them for not wanting them back there. Besides it totally clashing with the theme they spent a lot of money making, they are accomodating a very tiny minority of people they have already given space somewhere else. I understand your point, but it is unrealistic to be fair.

I understand people want to keep swing dancing, thats fine, but not there! Not anymore! I think people have made some really good suggestions of holding it in DCA somewhere. I REALLY like the Paradise Gardens idea a lot! It COULD work if Disney is at least willing to take out a few chairs in a corner and they already have a band area. BVS is OK, but its so small so its kind of unrealistic. I mean if you think its too crowded where its at at DTD, BVS will be 3 times worse easily. As I and someone said the old stage where the Music video event next to Muppets could work, be in its own buiding, PLENTY of space, etc. It may conflict with Mad T Party a bit, but there is probably a way to work it out.

I'm sure Disney would like to keep it around for people and SO FAR DTD seems to be a very popular venue for it. But if its not realistic in the long term, then hopefully one of those ideas above can happen some day! We'll see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    I can't imagine why they would. Only a small portion leading up to the west castle entrance would be closed off for fireworks previously.
    I went on the CM tour and spoke with Fantasyland CM's in charge of the location. The Royal Hall will be closed nightly for fireworks, and they don't plant to reopen it for meet n' greets after the fireworks. If you remember the old setup when the rope would go up on the north end of the CPG patio, that fallout zone is still in effect. But with the new layout and queue setup, there's no way to operate the location during the fallout zone time, so the whole thing gets shut down. I enjoyed watching swing dancing on occasion as much as the next person, but it's not coming back and it's time to move on. Perhaps make a play for a venue at DCA instead?

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I would guess yes. I really miss the days when the storybook rides were open during the fireworks. They had no lines it was awesome!
    I used to love watching the fireworks from Toontown, great for the ears!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    It was a different story back when the Park was able to book top-notch talent.

Times have changed--and once again, not for the better.
    You say that as if the times just changed. To be fair, those times at CPG changed back during the Carter Administration, if they even made it that far into the 1970's. And it's been a dead corner of the park since at least the 1990's, with the nail in the coffin being the shuttering of the seasonally-operated ice cream stand in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    None of those children were professional dancers; those were all students at dance recitals doing their best. I'm not going to mock them or criticize them.
    No mocking was intended. My point was simply that for at least the last decade that CPG stage was used mainly for those types of amateur dance troupes. And honestly, the choice of pop-rap booming while young suburban girls did their best "urban" dance moves did absolutely NOTHING for the story of Fantasyland, or The Hub, or even 1905-era Main Street USA as some folks still maintain that CPG was tied directly to the story and theme of Main Street USA. Never mind that 1940's swing dancing never supported the 1905 Main Street Victorian-era theme either. I'm happy that those modern dance troupes are gone from CPG, and have been replaced with a fabulously Imagineered new space that directly supports the Fantasyland story and Disneyland's core business. For the life of me I can't figure out how this type of modern offering helped Disneyland's storytelling purpose in any way, and for that Fantasy Faire is a Godsend. Or Waltsend?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Full beauty and the beast video!!!

Wow! Again, THIS is the kind of stuff I am happy that PFF got made in the first place. Disney needs to do more of these kinds of things. Not everything has to be a $300 million E-tickets. The little things counts too! I think these shows will be very popular. I hope to see both of them this spring or summer.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    You say that as if the times just changed. To be fair, those times at CPG changed back during the Carter Administration, if they even made it that far into the 1970's. And it's been a dead corner of the park since at least the 1990's, with the nail in the coffin being the shuttering of the seasonally-operated ice cream stand in 1997.
    Yeah, I'm not that old, but I'm not that young either and I NEVER remembered this space being used for any lavish entertainment and I been going there since the 80s. In fact, the first time I ever been there was in 2005 for a meet for another website (one we are both famaliar with lol). First time EVER I been to CPG and it was a bunch of seating and dead space.

I never even heard about the swing daning until litterally 2009! First time I even knew they were there because one of my best friends told me about it one day. I had no clue before that and I'm an avid Disney goer clearly. So if *I* didnt know about it, I'm guessing 99% of the people who go on any given day had no clue it existed. This is for a very niche audience which is fine, but I doubt besides the people who does it and the long time Disney veterns the average person had no clue about it.

So again, only in internetland is this even remotely an issue.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast