Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

• -

Re: First look at the Fantasy Faire

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Don't you think that is a bit of an exaggerated comparison?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Nice strawman Calsig =p
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Clearly.
    Hardly an exaggeration or a strawman. It was a carefully thought out example. The people who are in favor of this princess area have mentioned a couple of points to support their side:

1. The Plaza Gardens is right up against the castle so the area is a natural fit for the expansion of Fantasyland.
    The Plaza Inn is right up against Tomorrowland and more specifically Star Tours so it would be a perfect fit for the Jedi show.

2. The area is wonderfully done with immersive theming.
    The same degree of theming could be put into a Star Wars area.

3. This new area will allow for a show to be put back in the theater.
    Moving the Jedi show would allow for bands to play during the day at Tomorrowland Terrace.

4. The princess area balances out the castle because Pixie Hollow is on the other side.
    This will balance out the entrance to Tomorrowland and go with the rocket ships and gold rocks.

And the best one…

5. Those who don’t like it don’t have to go.
    People who aren’t a fan of Star Wars could walk on by.

The same arguments can be made in favor of both, but that doesn’t make either fit into their surroundings. As to point 5 it is just as frustrating when something nice is taken away to be told to simply not to go there anymore if one is not in favor of the replacement in either area.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ive never been to a Renaissance Faire. If this is similar I don't think I'd ever be interested in going.
    Renaissance Faires, the real ones and not kiddie ones, are actually quite entertaining. But if you're really not interested and these things don't really appeal to you, then we probably won't be able to persuade you.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Hardly an exaggeration or a strawman. It was a carefully thought out example. The people who are in favor of this princess area have mentioned a couple of points to support their side:

1. The Plaza Gardens is right up against the castle so the area is a natural fit for the expansion of Fantasyland.

The Plaza Inn is right up against Tomorrowland and more specifically Star Tours so it would be a perfect fit for the Jedi show.

1. The area is wonderfully done with immersive theming.

The same degree of theming could be put into a Star Wars area.

1. This new area will allow for a show to be put back in the theater.

Moving the Jedi show would allow for bands to play during the day at Tomorrowland Terrace.

1. The princess area balances out the castle because Pixie Hollow is on the other side.

This will balance out the entrance to Tomorrowland and go with the rocket ships and gold rocks.

And the best one…

1. Those who don’t like it don’t have to go.

People who aren’t a fan of Star Wars could walk on by.

The same arguments can be made in favor of both, but that doesn’t make either fit into their surroundings. As to point 5 it is just as frustrating when something nice is taken away to be told to simply not to go there anymore if one is not in favor of the replacement in either area.
    You're taking an area, one that can be obviously considered to be on Main Street by an average guest, and comparing it to an area that sits in a far away corner, beyond the main part of Main Street and the hub, and next to SBC. PFF/CPG, an area in which I can bet if we were to ask an average guest if they thought the area was a part of Main Street, they'd say no. I just think the comparison is a little absurd.

Fantasy Faire is also tucked into the castle area... so yeah it fits on the berm. This makes really no sense at all.

• -

You're taking an area, one that can be obviously considered to be on Main Street by an average guest, and comparing it to an area that sits in a far away corner, beyond the main part of Main Street and the hub, and next to SBC. PFF/CPG, an area in which I can bet if we were to ask an average guest if they thought the area was a part of Main Street, they'd say no. I just think the comparison is a little absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Fantasy Faire is also tucked into the castle area... so yeah it fits on the berm. This makes really no sense at all.
    Both touch the Central Plaza. Both were at one time labled on maps as Main Street.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Both touch the Central Plaza. Both were at one time labled on maps as Main Street.
    It's not Main Street anymore.

It's not like there's an abundance of space at the park. We don't have the space, so we make due. Fantasy Faire is not hurting the look of Main Street. Disneyland is know for having close and jumbled buildings, areas, etc. This isn't anything new.
    Last edited by jasmineray; 03-07-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Plaza inn is in use and very popular today unlike CPG. It is also way closer to the actual main street than CPG was. It is also less hidden by trees and the futuristic theme is much more jarring for the area than a medieval faire is next to a large castle that is considered by all to be somehow in theme.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

FF walls are down now, correct? Does anybody have a picture of the hub how it looks now? I'd go myself but my AP has expired and I can't afford a new one.

• -

It's not Main Street anymore.
    I realize the Gardens are not Main Street anymore since it was re-zoned to Fantasyland. Plaza Inn wouldn’t be Main Street anymore if it were re-zoned to Tomorrowland. Same thing.

It's not like there's an abundance of space at the park. We don't have the space, so we make due.
    Since there isn’t a lot of space in the park, then it should also be perfectly ok for a Jedi area to be put in the Plaza Inn.[/QUOTE]Both to me seem counter to the aesthetics of Main Street.

Plaza inn is in use and very popular today unlike CPG.
    The gardens were pretty packed during the dancing. If they would have kept it as a food venue it would have had crowds during the day as well.

It is also way closer to the actual main street than CPG was.
    Actually, when measuring on Google Earth, the entrance to the Gardens is 13.5 yards from the curb, whereas the Plaza Inn’s entrance is 18 yards away. That makes the Gardens closer to Main Street.

It is also less hidden by trees and the futuristic theme is much more jarring for the area than a medieval faire is next to a large castle that is considered by all to be somehow in theme.
    This would be up against gold rocks and space ships that some consider to be in theme.

Again, the same arguments can be made for either area. It doesn’t make either correct.

• Minion

I realize the Gardens are not Main Street anymore since it was re-zoned to Fantasyland. Plaza Inn wouldn’t be Main Street anymore if it were re-zoned to Tomorrowland. Same thing.

Since there isn’t a lot of space in the park, then it should also be perfectly ok for a Jedi area to be put in the Plaza Inn. Both to me seem counter to the aesthetics of Main Street.

The gardens were pretty packed during the dancing. If they would have kept it as a food venue it would have had crowds during the day as well.

Actually, when measuring on Google Earth, the entrance to the Gardens is 13.5 yards from the curb, whereas the Plaza Inn’s entrance is 18 yards away. That makes the Gardens closer to Main Street.

This would be up against gold rocks and space ships that some consider to be in theme.

Again, the same arguments can be made for either area. It doesn’t make either correct.
    *sigh* We're not getting anywhere. Agree to disagree. Like I previously said, the good thing is Disneyland is not forcing you to visit PFF. You can happily enjoy the rest of the park.

I'm not talking about the hub or the curbs of the hub. Whether or not that is MS is debatable. I was referring to MS as the undisputed straight line of MS that starts at the station and ends at coke corner.

As for the gold rocks and space ship, most people don't consider those in theme. In fact many people on your side of the argument claim that something out of theme does not justify another. There is little justification for a jedi academy where Plaza inn is.

Now if a jedi academy were to replace the pixie hollow area then that would be a more appropriate comparison. It is opposite of the faire, close to the land it is themed to, and not too visible from the main straightway of main street. Walt even approved of letting TL bleed into that area at one time!
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Banned User

I have to agree.

• curiouser and curiouser

All in all I think it looks well themed, and despite the princess theme which is mainly aimed towards kids the area has more character and more things to see than before so I'm personally happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    All in all I think it looks well themed, and despite the princess theme which is mainly aimed towards kids the area has more character and more things to see than before so I'm personally happy with it.
    I was initially unsatisfied with how basic the project seemed to be, but the Royal Theater more than makes up for it. It's something families can enjoy together. The nice detailing combined with those twists which I have to try the next time I get out to the park makes me glad they made it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: There are many other attractions that one might say are only 'aimed at one audience', too. What some of you forget to think about is that Disneyland, as a whole, does a great job of catering to a wide variety of tastes. That doesn't mean that any one person is going to like every single attraction to be found there. Some of you seem to be rather short sighted to the point where you only care about what suits you, personally, instead of stepping back to get a bigger picture of what suits a wider variety of guests. If you're really so selfish as to suggest that the lovers of princesses shouldn't have something there to appeal to them, too, then that's the epitome of being selfish.

Exactly! I mean what is so great about Disney is that it IS a family park, but that it caters to a little bit of everybody in the family. WHen I was a teenage boy who went with the mother, grandparents, uncle, cousins, etc its not like everyone loved everything. Sure most stuff we could at least do together, but my mother and grandparents stayed away from the thrill stuff like SM, BTM, Mattherhorn etc. Me and my brother use to be bored to death in Fantasyland, but my girl counsins loved it. Only my grandparents cared to even see the parades. I personnally couldnt sit still to do ROA boat rides but my brother loved them. Oddly though everyone loved the PM lol. Thats how it goes! Today is no different. Yes not EVERYONE is going to want to hang around in this area for more than a few minutes, but you can probably find someone who feels that way about one land in the park.

And whats so frustrating is the same people who will bash this little tiny area (which 99% never went to anyway for the last 30 years) as not engaging enough for everyone but will be the first to suggest Disney should build an all Star Wars park or a Marvel park. I'm actually against the idea of those type of parks because they really do cater to mostly one type of demographic and they wouldnt be as well rounded with different properties to appeal to different people like most Disney parks do...and yet they are being proposed constantly on boards like this. But Disney builds ONE tiny area of princess meet and greets, suddenly they are forgetting everyone else. Its kind of ridiculous and a bit hypocritical IMO (and for the record, I'm not referring to anyone in this thread, I'm strictly talking in general).

And for the record this area doesnt appeal to me at all although I would certainly like to see it and appreciate how well done it is. But I'm a black guy in my 30s with no kids, its safe to say this isnt exactly the biggest draw for me when I hit the parks lol. But thats ok! This ISNT designed for me, nor does it have to be! Disney gave me two great areas just 7 months ago: BVS and CL! Both areas that really appeal to me being an Angelino loves BVS and someone who likes and travels to rustic environments like CL. So the kiddies and classic animated lovers get more princesses, there are more of them than me and this is what they like. Give it to them!

I'm just still praying we get a big thrill attraction or something Marvel related with lots of dips, turns and gun power with Black Widow at the end of the ride telling me how much she missed me....that will be for me.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast