Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Re: Is Disney so related to Starbucks that it will take over as the Disney coffee.

Here is my take in this and as a non coffee drinker I don't have a dog in th fight.

My belief is what it comes down to are a few criteria, supply, taste and exposure. Whoever was going to supply those had to be able to meet the supply Disney needs. I am sure there are many fine coffees out there but if they can't give all that Disney needs it doesn't make sense to use them.

Second, the company sponsoring has to be somewhat of a name. With that they have to have the money to sponsor it.

These leave only a few suppliers around to handle it. Starbucks made a logical choice.

While I was unaware a Stsrbucks guy was on the board, this could be a non issue as the supplier still has to meet the above criteria. No think it made it A LOT easier to get Starbucks in the parks because of that though.

Re: Is Disney so related to Starbucks that it will take over as the Disney coffee.

It's one more example of the genericification of everything. It's a chain coffee, the same as you can get anywhere. BOOOOOOOOOOOORING. How about putting something interesting in?

Universal Citywalk is the same- it's all chain stores. Subway, Panda Express, Sbux, etc.

Nothing special.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    In the shareholder meeting:
    A shareholder said starbucks in DLR is recieving negative comments. His concern is that with apparenlt the Disney Boards link to Starbucks the company, all Disney coffe will be sourced by Starbucks.

Iger replied with a sorry more Starbucks is coming.
    I'm sure Iger want to juice more coffee sales. Starbucks volume sales is extraordinary.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    It's one more example of the genericification of everything.
    I understand your point, but pretending that coffee is a martyr here is a bit nonsensical. Starbucks is replacing Nescafe, basically the definition of cheap generic coffee. Starbucks is a major national chain, yes, but it's also a much better quality of coffee (this is coming from someone who thinks Starbucks is sort of mediocre).

If Disney had some kind of custom brew that they were serving in their parks I could see your complaint as valid, but as it is they're actually going with something less generic. Replacing Sam's Choice for Coca-cola, if you will.

It's one more example of the genericification of everything. It's a chain coffee, the same as you can get anywhere. BOOOOOOOOOOOORING. How about putting something interesting in?

Disney has had branded food products in its parks pretty much throughout its history. Coca-Cola, Carnation, Hills Brothers, Nestle, Aunt Jemima, McDonald's....I'm sure others could name more.

You may call it "genericification" but Disney doesn't produce coffee. Someone has to provide it, why not it be the most popular brand around?

• Tourist

Starbucks isn't my first choice when I'm away from home, but almost anything would be an improvement over Nescafe instant coffee. That stuff makes me cringe. I think Disney made a reasonable choice.

• -

It's one more example of the genericification of everything. It's a chain coffee, the same as you can get anywhere.
    As opposed to the uniquely Disney Nescafé?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
    Starbucks isn't my first choice when I'm away from home, but almost anything would be an improvement over Nescafe instant coffee. That stuff makes me cringe. I think Disney made a reasonable choice.
    starbucks is better then what Disney was serving, whatever it may be. I thought it was great till i tasted starbucks. starbucks is and will be always my 1st choice for coffee. I am glad that Disney is bringing into the parks.I truly believe that it will be good for both starbucks as a company and Disney. I hope that Starbucks takes over all the coffee that is served in DLR

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    As opposed to the uniquely Disney Nescafé?
    gross. that's all i can say to that

Maybe it's me not paying attention, but I don't remember seeing the brand name for Nescafe. But Starbucks is branded loud and clear. So it used to be just coffee, and now it's bringing the same name I see everywhere outside the park into the park.

I'm using coffee as an example of how everything is becoming homogenized, generic. All the shops in Disney carry essentially the same things, no reason to shop anywhere other than World of Disney on your final trip out.

The brand name stuff being everywhere has gotten to me progressively more lately. It's part of why I let my AP lapse. All I see is brand names and I feel like I'm at a mall.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The Tomorrowland One

Maybe it's me not paying attention, but I don't remember seeing the brand name for Nescafe. But Starbucks is branded loud and clear. So it used to be just coffee, and now it's bringing the same name I see everywhere outside the park into the park.

I'm using coffee as an example of how everything is becoming homogenized, generic. All the shops in Disney carry essentially the same things, no reason to shop anywhere other than World of Disney on your final trip out.

The brand name stuff being everywhere has gotten to me progressively more lately. It's part of why I let my AP lapse. All I see is brand names and I feel like I'm at a mall.
    ill grant you that the Starbucks branding is more obvious than Nescafé was. I remember it just being mentioned on the menu board, not on signs outside the store.

You complain of seeing brand names everywhere. Isn't "Disneyland" a brand name? And that one is everywhere. Or was, now it's "Disney Parks".
    Last edited by Autopia; 03-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.

More Starbucks in Disneyland please.

I guess I expect the Disneyland (Disney Parks, bleh) logo to be in the park. And maybe it's my perception, but the logos of the corporate sponsors seemed to be less intrusive. But now it's much more front and center- even in the bathrooms, you get a corporate note (hand washing notes by Sparkle).

The architecture of the Starbucks in DCA isn't bad, but it's also nothing special. I expect special from Disney. I expect more of the same in the future and that's depressing.

• Minion

I guess I expect the Disneyland (Disney Parks, bleh) logo to be in the park. And maybe it's my perception, but the logos of the corporate sponsors seemed to be less intrusive. But now it's much more front and center- even in the bathrooms, you get a corporate note (hand washing notes by Sparkle).

The architecture of the Starbucks in DCA isn't bad, but it's also nothing special. I expect special from Disney. I expect more of the same in the future and that's depressing.
    Starbucks is just one brand of many that have been in the parks, and even back in the day other corporate brands were visible.

Take a look at this map, its pretty in your face. Sunkist also had a store of some sort on Main Street as well.

• New Member Goes Forth

Burwell, Norfolk, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Proberly, Disney parks will have Starbucks Coffee only.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast