Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Can I really take my toddler on Pirates?

I say children are all going to have to face their fears as they grow up. If you are forthcoming with your kids and telling them there's going to be two little drops and after that there's animals and ship and singing, they'll be a lot more receptive. If you convince them they won't like it, chances are they won't and carry that attitude for a long long time.

Your call, we all raise our kids differently.

Depends on your child, but, I took my daughter on POTC when she was 11 months old without any issues.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Do NOT. I repeat do NOT make the mistake of bringing your toddler on the Haunted Mansion. I went on the Haunted Mansion when I was too young and had nightmares and had to sleep with my light on for months. Please so a child switch for this ride if you must. POTC never really bothered me but some parts can be scary depending on the child.
    That is up to the parents. I have been on since I was little, love it- my daughter first went on at 22 months and never had an issue.

Sorry you were frightened- doesn't mean everyone will be.

• a damsel not in distress

we took my niece on pirates when she was six months old. we rode it three times during that trip, and whoever was holding her just sat in the middle for good measure and held on tight during the drops. by the third time we rode it, she slept through the whole thing.

as for taking a child on haunted mansion "too young," it really all depends on the kid. i went on for the first time when i was six or seven and was scared for weeks after, as i was sure a ghost had followed me home (i was also really upset at disneyland for allowing an attraction to be in operation that had ghosts that followed people home). my nephew, who is four, stood in line until the doors, heard the music and made the call that he was getting out of line. my niece, who by our second trip was one, laughed the whole time, though maybe it was because it had the holiday overlay at that point.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Dont make me unfriend you

Sometimes the younger kids are less afraid than the older kids. I think it may be that the older kids have a more developed imagination or something.

With my own kids, I noticed they did things when they were young with no fear. But then around 3 or 4 years old, things that used to never bother them (heights on the playground) scared them. I noticed it with a few of my kids. They didn't fall or anything. They just got older and got scared on the high places.

So, I can understand why a kid of 3, 4, 5, or 6 would be scared by the ride while younger kids are not. The younger kids don't know enough yet to be scared.... I guess.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Younger kids get startled. Older ones get scared. Very true Garrett.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    That is up to the parents. I have been on since I was little, love it- my daughter first went on at 22 months and never had an issue.

Sorry you were frightened- doesn't mean everyone will be.
    I'm 44 years old. I know this very well. Just giving some advice is all. Anyone is free to take it or leave it.

• I'm a fiddle player......

My daughter was 6 weeks old when she went on pirates, no problem.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! My toddler is fearless, so far anyway. I was just a bit surprised is all lol. I sort of thought maybe people would be giving me dirty looks for taking her on lol.

I do worry about what happens if she has a bad reaction. She has been on a few rides at Sesame Place and Hershey but we all know that doesn't even compare to Disney. I honestly think she will be completely fine...she loves music which Disney rides is great for and I think she will be amused in Pirates and Haunted Mansion. But what do parents do if their kid starts screaming? I am sure the other guests would not enjoy that!

Thanks again!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Most of the times at Disneyland when kids start screaming parents do absolutely nothing and if guests ask them to make their kid stop they reply with a blank stare like they don't know what they're talking about.

• Minion

It depends on if your child can handle the drops well. I know that when I was a toddler I absolutely Hated going on pirates merely because of the drops. I liked Haunted Mansion though other than the stretching room part.

• Blew By You

Our daughter didn't like Pirates her first time. She was about 3 years old at the time. She didn't have any dreams about it. It took her about another year before she returned. She likes it a lot now.
    Haunted Mansion is another thing.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Do NOT. I repeat do NOT make the mistake of bringing your toddler on the Haunted Mansion. I went on the Haunted Mansion when I was too young and had nightmares and had to sleep with my light on for months. Please so a child switch for this ride if you must. POTC never really bothered me but some parts can be scary depending on the child.
    I take my 1-year-old boy on Mansion and POTC all the time. He's never complained or cried once. The only time he does cry at DL is when it's nap-time or he's hungry.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Selfie Expert

You know, being a non-parent, I used to always expect young kids to scream and cry on rides like Pirates and wonder why a parent would take them on those rides. However, I have not once seen a kid/baby freak out on either of those rides. I'm guessing if they're going to do it, they do it earlier in the line and their parents can leave the ride? Anyway, it's seemed to be successful for most!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• i believe in faeries.

i took my son to a local amusement park this past summer (15 months old at the time) and we went on this kiddie ride together... aaaand our car thing was broken, and was continuously spinning out of control. i tried to hold the wheel, but holding him and trying to stop the car was too difficult. i heard him screaming, so i was really upset the ride operator didn't stop us. anyways, when we got off, he had LOVED it, and kept pointing to go on the 'balloons of death' again... i guess he was screaming, but with laughter. i won't ever take him on that crap again, tho.
    my daughter was totally cool with both pirates and HM... and TOT, incidentally... it wasn't until she overheard another kid (after riding TOT 3 times) being too frightened to go that she 'realized' the ride was something to be feared. she was 4 when we went.

i agree with the poster who mentioned the younger kids are usually fine with the 'creepier' stuff... older ones tend to get themselves worked up in their head with their imaginations.

have a great trip!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast