Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Artistic integrity

Re: AVATAR Land at Disneyland

Disney spent a huge amount of money to reinvent the Submarine Voyage ... and Finding Nemo 2 is coming to theaters in 2016. I think "Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage" is safe and secure - going no where.

Not a big fan of the ride - Just being a realistic what most likely will happen.

• curiouser and curiouser

The movie is supposed to take place like 200 years into the future, right?
    What kind of future would Tomorrowland represent if it's newest and grandest investment was based on a vision of the future where humans were still every bit as petty, xenophobic and warmongering as the worst examples of today's human beings?

The visuals in Avatar were of course spectacular but the story and it's characters were painfully one-dimensional and I actually thought the movie was quite bad.
    Not that what I personally think about the movie actually matters in this case, I just think that an Avatar land could very easily turn in to an impressive set-piece with no substance.

Also, didn't they already cancel Avatar for DAK?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by MickeySmurfette24 View Post
    AVATAR will fit for Tomorrowland.
    This doesn't fit Tomorrowland at all. Fitting into Tomorrowland means more than just taking place in the future. Tomorrow is all about a better, brighter future for mankind. Not about the subjugation, exploitation, and decimation of an alien culture. This movie highlights the negatives of society and shows that those flaws will only get worse as we move into the future. It is very contrary to Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    It's James freaking Cameron!!!
    At his worst.
    Last edited by calsig31; 03-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• New Member Goes Forth

Personally, not a land. An atraction might be better, to fit in with Tomorrowland, but I d not want disneyland to be swanped with AVATAR. Unlike other outside movies in the park (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) it has not heart and soul. Disneyland has attractions that have a heart and soul.

By the way, I have heard nothing about AVATAR land at WDW. From the rumers, I think it might have been cancelled, but do not quote me on this.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Let's be real here, someone here most likely posted "it's been cancelled" to be right in the "world" not wanting Avatar at Disney parks but really, at D23 we will officially get the announcement and visuals of the plans of Avatarland and any Avatar park related enhancements at D23. This will finally either stop people from holding out hope that it has been cancelled and it will be proof that the film is coming to the parks.

D23 is only about 5 months away, give or take, so until then people here can hold onto hope that Avatarland is no more but IF it is announced and shown at D23.. we'll I'll just smile pretty damn big at the announcement with the milions of others wanting this. Of course hardly anyone here will be smiling and that's okay. It's perfectly okay to dislike this project and/or not visit it once it is completed. As more me, I'm enjoying everything from the first announcment of Disney and James Cameron teaming up to hopefully D23's future announcements of when ground will break, opening target dates and visual plans for the movie.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    at D23 we will officially get the announcement and visuals of the plans of Avatarland and any Avatar park related enhancements at D23.
    Source?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Source?
    No I'm sorry there's no source... I am saying that Tom Staggs mentioned in December that the project was still a go and that ground will break in 2013, possibly late 2013 after D23 which would make them announcing their big Avatar plans at D23 make the most sense. I mean why say anything now, make big news announcing everything at D23.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Filmmaker

It's been said before, but it's worth repeating: Avatar just doesn't have any sort of significant shelf life. The movie is only a little more than three years old and who is still talking about it (other than Disney Parks fans, most of which are not saying postive things about it)?

It's lost just about all of its pop culture relevance; every once in a while James Cameron will mention how Avatar is all he's ever interested in making anymore, but at this point he's just sort of coming across as a crazy coot who has lost all semblence of artistic merit. As much money as the first movie made, there's not a lot of buzz for sequels. People just don't care anymore.

Avatar was like a super nova. It burned really bright for a short period of time and then it was gone. That's not the type of investment that Disney should look towards for a permanent addition to their parks. Unlike Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or even Marvel, Avatar has no lasting cultural impact. Plus there's the issue that James Cameron is famously hard to work with and reportedly kind of a jerk. Combine all of that with the lukewarm at best reception from the Disney fan community and things don't look good for Avatar Land.

It may not have been officially cancelled yet, but with all of those factors taken into consideration I can't imagine it's all smooth sailing behind the scenes. After all, Disney has a precedent of letting proposed projects quietly ride off into the night. Remember how Rocket Rods was totally going to be coming back better than ever?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Avatar was like a super nova. It burned really bright for a short period of time and then it was gone. That's not the type of investment that Disney should look towards for a permanent addition to their parks. Unlike Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or even Marvel, Avatar has no lasting cultural impact.
    I would go as far as to say it didn't even shine 'really' bright at all. All of the money it made can be attributed to hype, lack of competition in a very busy holiday movie season, and the most important factor of all, the marketing almost required viewers to see it in IMAX and 3-D. You have to make a ton of money if everyone is going to see it in 3-D because those tickets cost a lot more. I'll bet The Dark Knight (which did not have a 3-D release) actually sold more tickets than Avatar despite making less money.

The other movies you mentioned did have a great cultural impact because they were great franchises. Avatar didn't make money because it was a great movie. It was a great technological achievement. And its makers have the box office down to a science. That's about it.

• HYDRA

On the \ page for disney there is a page for WDI and it said they were working on Avatar themed landS...........

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Remember how Rocket Rods was totally going to be coming back better than ever?
    So you're saying Rocket Rods isn't coming back? But Disney promised.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So you're saying Rocket Rods isn't coming back? But Disney promised.
    Yeah, that's the rumor I've heard. I don't know, though, I'm still holding out hope that they'll announce something at D23 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    By the way, I have heard nothing about AVATAR land at WDW. From the rumers, I think it might have been cancelled, but do not quote me on this.
    Unfortunately, I believe it's still in the works. They have apparently moved the Imagineering project team into another building (out of the main facility in Glendale) in order to keep it's progress secret.

This is one circumstance where I would like to see some leaks. If they are actually producing something worthwhile, it would behoove them to let some details out in order to develop some support for the project (if it deserves it). Maybe they are still concerned about it's viability.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Maybe they are still concerned about it's viability.
    They wouldn't be the only ones...

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    Also, didn't they already cancel Avatar for DAK?
    That is also what I hear that Disney scrap the ideal to do Avatar.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast