Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Minion

Re: AVATAR Land at Disneyland

As much as I've grown to dislike the idea of Avatar in the parks, I don't think it'll get canceled. Disney has to go through with it in some form. This isn't Rocket Rods--they can't just say 'screw it' and quit. They have a huge investment in this property. They can't just give the rights back in exchange for a refund. Disney is going to have to do something to get a return on their purchase, even if it means complying with Cameron's crazy demands.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    As much as I've grown to dislike the idea of Avatar in the parks, I don't think it'll get canceled. Disney has to go through with it in some form. This isn't Rocket Rods--they can't just say 'screw it' and quit. They have a huge investment in this property. They can't just give the rights back in exchange for a refund. Disney is going to have to do something to get a return on their purchase, even if it means complying with Cameron's crazy demands.
    Disney announced WestCot and they canceled it. It happens, sometimes. I don't think Avatar Land will be canceled, but we'll see.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• DL College Program 97/98

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Disney announced WestCot and they canceled it. It happens, sometimes. I don't think Avatar Land will be canceled, but we'll see.
    Yeah, but they didn't pay $100M+ to secure any rights for WestCot. I guarantee they paid at least that for the Avatar rights. As much as I hate to admit it, I think Tyler is right about the inevitability of Avatarland...

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

D23 will most definitely be addressing the Avatarland matter in some form or another. We will hopefully finally see the actual plans, nothing "leaked", video, possibly a meet and greet with a Navi (that would be insane if that did happen), James Cameron himself appearing at D23 to discuss Avatar and possibly take on your "Avatar isn't right for Disney Parks" questions slash issues regarding the project.

I also suspect a new Animal Kingdom "3D" map that shows what Animal Kingdom will look like after Avatarland is completed and I'm sure it won't be called Avatarland after D23. I would suspect a new name would be created. The Land of Navi? I don't know.

Avatar will definitely make its presence at D23 and I wish I could be there to experience... Hmmm... I just may if everything goes right.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    I don't want Avatar in any park. If DIsney wanted to put an outside franchise into Animal Kingdom, they should have gone with Pokemon.
    Not sure if that would fit either...I'd rather have avatar. people trapping animals in balls and letting them out only to fight doesn't sound very animal kingdom-y to me (I sound like someone from PETA lol)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Like sgtfox said, WestCot cost them nothing besides whatever it took to draw up the maps and models. Securing the rights to Avatar was a huge financial undertaking that would be a complete loss if there was no attempt to make a profit from it. They didn't build WestCot, ok whatever. But if they don't build Avatarland (or at least give it some presence in the parks) they lose whatever they spent to secure the rights...literally money thrown away for nothing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    D23 will most definitely be addressing the Avatarland matter in some form or another. We will hopefully finally see the actual plans, nothing "leaked", video, possibly a meet and greet with a Navi (that would be insane if that did happen), James Cameron himself appearing at D23 to discuss Avatar and possibly take on your "Avatar isn't right for Disney Parks" questions slash issues regarding the project.

I also suspect a new Animal Kingdom "3D" map that shows what Animal Kingdom will look like after Avatarland is completed and I'm sure it won't be called Avatarland after D23. I would suspect a new name would be created. The Land of Navi? I don't know.

Avatar will definitely make its presence at D23 and I wish I could be there to experience... Hmmm... I just may if everything goes right.
    While they may "address" avatar at D23 Expo, I doubt that it will be anything beyond a mention during a presentation. Possibly some generic renderings, but definitely no models (don't know what Parks & Resorts will actually have available that people will find of significant interest).

As for a meet & greet Navi, forget it. Unless they can find some 8' CM to play the part, there is little chance that they can have a meet & greet unless they treat them like Crush - fake it behind glass.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Like sgtfox said, WestCot cost them nothing besides whatever it took to draw up the maps and models. Securing the rights to Avatar was a huge financial undertaking that would be a complete loss if there was no attempt to make a profit from it. They didn't build WestCot, ok whatever. But if they don't build Avatarland (or at least give it some presence in the parks) they lose whatever they spent to secure the rights...literally money thrown away for nothing.
    Isn't Disney getting part of the next two films also? If so, they can abandon Avatarland and still reap some financial benefits from the deal. If it's all based on rights to theme park attractions, Disney stands to lose more there if it isn't the success they hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Isn't Disney getting part of the next two films also? If so, they can abandon Avatarland and still reap some financial benefits from the deal. If it's all based on rights to theme park attractions, Disney stands to lose more there if it isn't the success they hope for.
    Fox did not sell the film rights to Disney. Disney paid for theme park rights only.

I would not put it past Disney to just buy the theme park rights for Avatar if only just to keep competitors from obtaining them.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    I would not put it past Disney to just buy the theme park rights for Avatar if only just to keep competitors from obtaining them.
    Yeah, no other theme park really wants them lol.

Besides, the lack of developments has obviously proven there's not much you can reasonably do with the property anyway.

Not to mention that it was a hugeeee investment on Disney's part. There was obviously some idea that they would turn a profit. If they hadn't bought the rights with the purpose to make money off of it, then it was a really stupid move.

• Sock Puppet

As much as people love Avatar the movie.. i just don't think a Avatar land would go over very well or be a big money maker ..but that's just me.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    Yes and no.

They didn't buy every other property just to squat on them. What value is there to buy stuff that never makes money? To stop competition, that doesn't just help you because it hurts them. Unless you can control an industry, you can't stop competition like that. It would have to be something like Disney is the only operator of theme and amusment parks because they bought all the entertainment ideas.

Just because dirt isn't moving, does not prove nothing will be done. Just because you don't have a plate in front of you and fork in your hand, doesn't mean you won't eat again.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Yes and no.

They didn't buy every other property just to squat on them. What value is there to buy stuff that never makes money? To stop competition, that doesn't just help you because it hurts them. Unless you can control an industry, you can't stop competition like that. It would have to be something like Disney is the only operator of theme and amusment parks because they bought all the entertainment ideas.

Just because dirt isn't moving, does not prove nothing will be done. Just because you don't have a plate in front of you and fork in your hand, doesn't mean you won't eat again.

It happens all the time with corporations. Do you know how many patents get bought up by big companies that just get shelved so it does not see the light of day? Avatar seems like a property that would fit in quite niceley at a Universal Park. Disney had the oppurtunity to have Harry Potter but passed on it. WDW is hamstrung with the Marvel deal in place in Florida, letting another franchise slip to their fast growing competitor is not good business. Not saying Avatar is anything theme parks are fighting for, but a business relationship with James Cameron and his technilogical innovations in the film industry is something any entertainment based corporation would want. For all we know, an Avatar based attraction that combines Disney's Imagineering and Cameron's might just be something mind blowing and unique.

I'm all for it. They should save the subs, but autopia is a cars land ride that has no place in Tomorrowland. Avatar theming on that side w Star Wars aliens on the other would create alien worlds that don't age as fast. And after 1998 TL, YES I've given up on original non-movie concepts.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast