• Minion

Small world celebrations possibly coming to DL? First country to be Greece

This is pretty old news, but I haven't heard any rumbles about it. From the most recent Al Lutz article

In 2013, both parks will continue offering up smaller new entertainment changes. Coming up this May, Disneyland will kick off a new concept known as “Small World Celebrations”, where a different country is honored in both parks over a long weekend with displays about its native culture, arts, and cuisine. The first country to be feted with a Small World Celebration will be Greece, with authentic Greek dancers, musicians and artists on display at Disneyland in the Small World mall, while DCA features Greek celebrity chefs who will give cooking demonstrations in a miniature version of the old Food & Wine Festival. Mickey Mouse even gets in on the act and will appear at the events wearing a custom made Foustanella, the traditional costume of Greece. This will be the first time Mickey has ever appeared wearing a Greek Foustanella, and TDA will be heavily marketing the weekend event to both Annual Passholders and the Greek-American community in Southern California.

The first Small World Celebration will arrive for Memorial Day weekend this May, and then additional countries will be featured in late summer and fall. The Small World Celebrations in 2013 will tap into the marketing dollars of Limited Time Magic to help spread the word, although the Celebrations are expected to continue far beyond 2013 and the end of that rather forced Limited Time marketing campaign. The Small World Celebrations are bundled under the administrative banner of what TDA calls “relevancy initiatives”, which is a newer TDA team tasked with creating one-off or seasonal offerings that keep the park experience fresh for returning locals and plus up the visits of casual tourists.

this sound really interesting! Hopefully during the Greek celebration, they'll finally gring out Hercules and Megra. What do you guys think?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Small world celebrations possibly coming to DL? First country to be Greece

I like the idea but I hope they do it for a week..not just a weekend

• Selfie Expert

I like that they're trying to make it so there's always something new to see.

And come on... Disneyland gyro?! Yes, please!!!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I like the idea but I hope they do it for a week..not just a weekend
    I do as well I'm happy they extended the Lunar New Year celebration, it was really good

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I like that they're trying to make it so there's always something new to see.

Me too! Love to see little events at DL

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Wait, can't we already get these at DCA? Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Evil is Sexy

A great place for some of this is the soon to be vacant Princess Royal Walk area.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Nor Cal AP'er

Herc and Meg out! YES!
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• Minion

^i'm not gunna lie...this is the main reason I want this new event to come. I haven't seen them have a meet and greet in a long time. Maybe some fantasia characters can come as well.

• Minion

I like it. If I was in charge, I'd have been tempted to use it as a year-long promotion instead of the LTM.

• Minion

I wonder where they would do the Memorial day celebration...maybe condor flats?

• Doombuggy Rider

I <3 this idea & agree it should be a 5 - 6 day event (I can understand if Team Disney Anehaim requires 1 - 2 days to prep for another Country the following week) ... but I also think this should be a festival that continues into the Downtown Disney area (why just limit things to Disneyland & DCA?) ...

This is a win - win for both Team Disney Anaheim, as well as the various Cultures in our Communities (wouldn't mind a Scottish - Welsh Week, please) ....

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor