Have I misunderstood how the tram line works for well over a decade?

The first guest car of the tram has an extra wide row for guests in wheelchairs. Behind the row are several normal sized rows. At both the parking structure and Downtown Disney stations the loading area is divided (by a wooden divider and a metal chain respectively). I always thought one side was for guests that needed the extra wide row and the other side was for those waiting for the normal rows. I've waited for the normal rows in the first guest car countless times over the last decade and a half. Today was the first time that I've ever had a CM tell me that those rows were for guests whose party had someone in a wheelchair only. So even though the rows were completely empty she refused to let any of us waiting there load and instead she went over to guests waiting in the second loading area and loaded them in the first car instead. She then told everyone that unless we had someone with a wheelchair in our party we would have to wait in another line. Another CM asked her why she wouldn't let us on and she repeated the parties with someone in a wheelchair only thing to him.

So my questions: has this always been the policy and this is the first time I've run into a CM that enforces it? Or was this CM just being a bit over-zealous?

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: Have I misunderstood how the tram line works for well over a decade?

Wow how interesting! I've never encountered anything like that before. I've also used the back rows of the first cars in the past and never had any CMs say anything to me. In fact, it's very often that they encouraged guests to use the empty seats in the first car! My pure guess is that maybe it always has been policy but because seats in the first car are never filled entirely, CMs just fill it up with other guests too? I mean, there's no point of a car with empty seats right? The ultimate goal in the end is to move the guests from point A to point B. It probably is policy, but you also probably had a very zealous CM working the trams that night.

Just like with the fastpass system, perhaps it is a new "must enforce" policy recently going into effect? It makes sense for them to keep it open for wheelchair occupants and their guests, but if none are present before departure they really should have just let you on.

Maybe they need to introduce some signage. I understand the need to make spaces available for guests with wheelchairs and their parties, but it's pretty frustrating to wait for several train to load and then being told when you get to the front that you're in the wrong line.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The farther back you sit from the front the less exhaust you smell and breathe on the ride over.

When I went today, I was waiting in the second load area and was directed to the "regular" seats in the first car. The only people waiting in the first load area (next to the wheelchair ramp) were people who had crutches or wheelchairs and were able to walk into the tram.

I'm not sure if it's always like this as I normally go to one of the last cars (shorter lines back there).

• Nor Cal AP'er

I'd like to see more signage in the Mickey and friends structure about the use of strollers (not folded) on the escalators!
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment 626 View Post
    I'd like to see more signage in the Mickey and friends structure about the use of strollers (not folded) on the escalators!
    Sadly, I don't think more signage will help. I think people will just continue to ignore it because it is much more convenient riding the escalators down with the strollers unfolded than to first take your child out of the stroller, fold the stroller, watch your child while holding the stroller going down the escalator, unfold the stroller, and put your child back into the stroller.

• Sock Puppet

the very first row in the tram is for guests in wheelchairs that is what i have been told!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Maybe they need to introduce some signage. I understand the need to make spaces available for guests with wheelchairs and their parties, but it's pretty frustrating to wait for several train to load and then being told when you get to the front that you're in the wrong line.
    i always thought it was obvious ..but i must be super over observant ..but yeah the very 1st rose is for wheelchairs

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    i always thought it was obvious ..but i must be super over observant ..but yeah the very 1st rose is for wheelchairs
    I think the OP was talking about the row behind that one and said that a CM told her it was reserved for people accompanying those in wheelchairs.

I can understand leaving the 2nd row open for someone pushing someone in a wheelchair, but if no such person boards why not let the general public sit there?

• Sock Puppet

i re read i think they were asking why the row that is in the front is split, wheelchair do go there cause they need the room, but when wheelchair is not there i don't think that they allow guests to sit there because they need to have that row wheelchair/disability accessible at all times

• Circle of Ancients

I'm thinking this is a new policy because I've used those rows many times before.

If they are going to use those for Wheelchair/stroller people then maybe they should take out the rest of the rows and make a larger area for those people in the first car.

The very first row in the first "cabin" on the Tram (right behind the driver) is made for those who are disabled and are for ECV's, Wheelchairs, need ramps, and for those who cannot do the small step into and out of the tram. When there is no line at the Disabled ramps, I have seen Cast Members place a stroller (or two) there. Even when there is some extra space, they'll sometimes put a stroller. I have also seen parents practically yell at us who use the disabled row legitimately because they think that because they have a stroller, they should be let on, since it wouldn't need to be folded. The last cabin has a front row just as big, and that cabin's first row is dedicated to strollers. As for the rows behind the first one in the first cabin, I know that is where they place the "able-bodied" party members for those that have a large party. If it's from the first loading area and there is no one in the front rows, then they would do strollers there, but you could be waiting a VERY long time.

Anyhow, getting back on topic, I have not been told that I couldn't sit there if I was going solo. At first, I was a bit leary about sitting in the first cabin, but the Cast Members that I have dealt with said it would be no problem sitting there, just not the very first row. Maybe that Cast Member was new or something? :: shrug ::

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    I think the OP was talking about the row behind that one and said that a CM told her it was reserved for people accompanying those in wheelchairs.

I can understand leaving the 2nd row open for someone pushing someone in a wheelchair, but if no such person boards why not let the general public sit there?
    Yes those regular rows behind the extra wide rows were the ones I was referring to. The waiting area for the extra wide row up front is usually full of people in wheelchairs waiting on the ramp and there I believe there is a blue accessibility sign and usually a CM by the ramp to help. It is obvious that row is for people requiring special assistance.

What confused me was that the seperate waiting area for the first cabin has nothing to indicate that it is reserved ONLY for the party of the guests using the wheelchair row. I always thought that anyone could wait there and if there was room after the parties of those in wheelchairs boarded, you were free to take any open seats. The last cabin on the tram has separate areas for those with strollers who need the wider row and those who want the regular rows. I thought the front cabin worked the same way.