Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To All DL CM's - How is the food by Sodexo Magic?( ie, cast cafeterias)

At WDW, They said they are changing from Aramark to Sodexo Magic for all the cast dining facilities and they said it has been at Disneyland Resort since 2007.So I was wondering how you would rate the service and the food? Thanks.

Re: To All DL CM's - How is the food by Sodexo Magic?( ie, cast cafeterias)

Thank god.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• They call me the Mayor...

Start bringing your lunch to work.
    Pour still another glass,
    In Pinacoladaberg.
    Coconut milk with a pineapple splash.
    Don’t forget that the Rum comes third!

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post
    At WDW, They said they are changing from Aramark to Sodexo Magic for all the cast dining facilities and they said it has been at Disneyland Resort since 2007.So I was wondering how you would rate the service and the food? Thanks.
    There have been a few posts in the last few years saying how gawd awful the food is for the Cast Members.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post
    I believe that Disney has three vendors for their Cast dining operations. They just rotate between the three. As soon as people start complaining about one, they shift to the next, then the next, then back to the original.

The service from all are negligible and a waste of money. I believe that Disney used to run all their food operations in-house, which made the food prices reasonable since they weren't having to cover the profits and overhead of the outsourced companies.

• DL College Program 97/98

When I worked there in the 90s, it was all in-house. The quality was pretty good and the prices weren't bad.

The food is terrible. I have worked at the park as a weekend cm since '87. The food used to be very good and the prices were very reasonable. Now the food is just awful. It doesn't matter if you go to the Inn Between, Westsider, The Neighborhood, or even the BOB. The portions are small, quality low, and prices a little steep. The options you get from the various barf wagons around the park are a little better but the price is higher too.

The only Dland operated location for us is the Village Haus backstage window. The food there is very good but the prices there are the steepest.

It's a shame since the fantastic food was one of the many perks we got for working there. Sadly good food has gone the way of the wonderful Christmas party we once had, the vacation days CR's once had, holiday pay CR's once had, and many other items that have gone bye bye.

i for one can't eat Subway anymore because that's the only decent option there and I am tired of it.

• DL College Program 97/98

What about the Eat Ticket (assuming it's still there)? Are the execs at least getting crap food too, or are they getting better quality food than the peons?

Isn't Earl of Sandwich in the process of opening a cast window?

• Fastest Man Alive

Just hope they open a Subway. That is the Inn Between's one saving grace.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

There IS good food, but it's the stuff you can't afford to buy. Your choice will now be food poisoning vs. $12 for lunch. I spoke with a Sodexo manager once and he went ON and ON about how they were trying to get us better options and nicer menus and more variety until I finally interrupted him to tell him I couldn't afford any of those things. I told him the average CM's hourly pay rate and he had to pick his jaw up off the floor. He had no clue he was charging more than an hour's pay for a salad.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtfox View Post
    What about the Eat Ticket (assuming it's still there)? Are the execs at least getting crap food too, or are they getting better quality food than the peons?
    True story: a few years ago when Angels Stadium hosted the All Star game, all the TDA people were on Main Street to "help with" the event. We were walking to the Inn Between and I joked to my friend that, "Well, at least they'll all have to eat what we eat instead of the fancy-pants Eat Ticket food for a change." and my friend joked back that they probably trucked down the nice food just for them.

We walked into the Inn Between and there was a Chef at a carving board with a ham.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Minion

I actually didn't find Sodexo to be bad at all. I'll admit I only ate a few things at the Inn Between as a CM, and I usually ate Subway, but I didn't find the food nasty.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Zephyr Pilot

It's fine. I need something that edible in the 20 minutes I have to eat and they get the job done. The only gripe I have is not food-related, but rather they only have one person working the grill when everyone has lunch at the same time.

• Minion

It's a mixed bag.

The InnBetween at Disneyland is absolutely horrible; a dirty, grimy dining room that can't seat the lunch or dinner rush, serving mushy starches and greasy burgers, with an overcooked chicken cutlet or very dry piece of fish on offer daily. All hot food is shipped in on steam trays, as Disney won't let Sodexo use the attached Plaza Inn kitchen for any food prep, which is why everything tastes stale or mushy or overcooked. The grab n' go cooler is stocked with dying sandwiches and some nearly expired yogurt. Soups and salads here are on their last legs. A Subway sandwich counter is the one glimmer of hope there. It's just a nasty dining experience all around.

The Westsider Grill at Disneyland is better, but not by much. It's cleaner and easier to find a seat, and the burgers are a tad better. They also make custom milkshakes that are pretty good, and have the usual grab n' go junk.

The DCA Neighborhood Cafe' is the best for park CM's. Clean and comfortable, with leather lounge chairs and couches in a corner, and plenty of seating indoors and out. Mary Niven had the whole place themed to Old California with lots of custom artwork, and a giant wall of framed autographed photos of her DCA Cast Members (changed out every six months, so everyone has a chance at stardom). It's homey and comfy and welcoming. The food is dramatically better than the InnBetween, mainly because they have their own large kitchen to use for food prep. Often the same menu items as the InnBetween, but the quality is vastly better. The Sodexo employees there are nicer, too, probably because they have such a better environment to work in. Anyone from Disneyland who has a Special Events shift and can get over to DCA for lunch at the Cafe grabs that chance. There's also a Subway sandwich counter, and a Coke Freestyle machine, plus Jamba Juice juice machines to make custom smoothies. The DCA Neighborhood Cafe proves Sodexo can do a good cafeteria experience, when the right executive allows them to.

TDA Eat Ticket, which is in a whole other league. This is for the white collar TDA employees, so they get the best food and the cleanest facility and the nicest service. They have sushi and La Brea Bakery deli sandwiches and custom pizzas and all sorts of swanky entrees. They also have the Coke Freestyle machines. But don't expect that type of Sodexo facility for theme park CM's, the best stuff is reserved for TDA and the mid-day lunch hours only.

•   

It's okay for what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast