Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bring Your Own Food (BYOF) to the Park - Recipe Thread

We all know there's lots of great eats at the park. However, sometimes it doesn't fit the bill. You're either trying to save money (park food isn't cheap), crave something else, diet, or even not a fan of the food at all.

Because of this, we can bring our own food to the park.

As a DLR fan who also enjoys cooking, I wanted to start a thread where people can share recipes of things they make to eat in the park. It can be a snack, drink, or even a meal.

Here's a few rules:
    1) Should be a recipe that is easy to carry around throughout the park (or can be stored in a locker)
    2) Doesn't need reheating
    3) It doesn't have to be a personal recipe. If you found one online go ahead and share it (and credit the source, please)

I'll start off with a few:

Refreshing Water Recipe:

This is very refreshing, especially on hot days. The freezing the night before keeps the water cold throughout the day. The fruit adds a nice flavor, and removes the tap taste. You can also refill your bottle at a few places throughout the park.INGREDIENTS:
    -Equal Amounts of orange slices and cucumber slices (I usually do 3 of each)
    -Water

DIRECTIONS: Day before your park visit, fill up your water bottle 1/2 to 3/4 way with water. Place in the freezer overnight. Next day, fill empty space in bottle with fruit and normal temp water.

Spam Musubi (Hawaiian Spam Sushi):

This is a GREAT snack to bring to the park. It keeps very well throughout the day, takes up little space in your bag, and tastes great at room temperature.

Taken from allrecipes.com
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
    2 cups water
    6 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup oyster sauce
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked
    luncheon meat (e.g. Spam)
    5 sheets sushi nori (dry seaweed)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Soak uncooked rice for 4 hours; drain and rinse.
    2. In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar, and set aside to cool.
    3. In a separate bowl, stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Slice luncheon meat lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes.
    4. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook slices for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat work surface. Place a rice press in the center of the sheet, and press rice tightly inside. Top with a slice of luncheon meat, and remove press. Wrap nori around rice mold, sealing edges with a small amount of water. (Rice may also be formed by hand in the shape of the meat slices, 1 inch thick.) Musubi may be served warm or chilled.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Bring Your Own Food (BYOF) to the Park - Recipe Thread

For those of you who crave something salty and satisfying without the extra carbohydrates:
    Kale Chips

Ingredients
    1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Sea salt, for sprinkling
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic, sliced.

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, garlic and salt. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes.

I love these as an alternative to potato chips and they are easily transportable.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Sock Puppet

interesting.

I prefer a churro and a dole whip..i don't like to bring food into the park because it's really hard to bring in a rack of lamb!

• Evil is Sexy

LOL! I love much of the in-park food, but we go so frequently, I'd have to get a second job to support eating in-park.

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Sock Puppet

i just find it really hard to bring in a pizza or mini egg rolls, so there fore i just eat at the park, although i am sure that there will be some people that will find this thread helpful.

• -

I have a great recipe that involves 1 bottle of 18 year old Chivas Regal and a flask.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Rock Star Minion

My recipe:
    1. Go to garage pantry.
    2. Grab a few protein bars.
    3. Get in car.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I like the Chivas recipe.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    We all know there's lots of great eats at the park. However, sometimes it doesn't fit the bill. You're either trying to save money (park food isn't cheap), crave something else, diet, or even not a fan of the food at all.

Because of this, we can bring our own food to the park.

As a DLR fan who also enjoys cooking, I wanted to start a thread where people can share recipes of things they make to eat in the park. It can be a snack, drink, or even a meal.

Here's a few rules:
    1) Should be a recipe that is easy to carry around throughout the park (or can be stored in a locker)
    2) Doesn't need reheating
    3) It doesn't have to be a personal recipe. If you found one online go ahead and share it (and credit the source, please)

I'll start off with a few:

Refreshing Water Recipe:

This is very refreshing, especially on hot days. The freezing the night before keeps the water cold throughout the day. The fruit adds a nice flavor, and removes the tap taste. You can also refill your bottle at a few places throughout the park.INGREDIENTS:
    -Equal Amounts of orange slices and cucumber slices (I usually do 3 of each)
    -Water

DIRECTIONS: Day before your park visit, fill up your water bottle 1/2 to 3/4 way with water. Place in the freezer overnight. Next day, fill empty space in bottle with fruit and normal temp water.

Spam Musubi (Hawaiian Spam Sushi):

This is a GREAT snack to bring to the park. It keeps very well throughout the day, takes up little space in your bag, and tastes great at room temperature.

Taken from allrecipes.com
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
    2 cups water
    6 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup oyster sauce
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked
    luncheon meat (e.g. Spam)
    5 sheets sushi nori (dry seaweed)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Soak uncooked rice for 4 hours; drain and rinse.
    2. In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar, and set aside to cool.
    3. In a separate bowl, stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Slice luncheon meat lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes.
    4. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook slices for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat work surface. Place a rice press in the center of the sheet, and press rice tightly inside. Top with a slice of luncheon meat, and remove press. Wrap nori around rice mold, sealing edges with a small amount of water. (Rice may also be formed by hand in the shape of the meat slices, 1 inch thick.) Musubi may be served warm or chilled.
    Mmmm.... Musubi
    I used to live in Hawaii so I know these very well.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I have a great recipe that involves 1 bottle of 18 year old Chivas Regal and a flask.
    THAT is very helpful

"like" !!

Mine isn't a recipe, but more of a tip for those who bring in their own drinks. We bring in both water and soda. On a hot day, I freeze all the waters the night before, then I pack the water bottles and sodas such that the each soda sits between two water bottles in my back pack.

The water will slowly melt so that I have nice cold water to drink by the hot afternoon, and it also acts like an ice pack to keep my sodas cold throughout the day too.

• Evil is Sexy

^ We do this as well. It will also help keep anything you've brought with you cool, should it need. Not the same as a cooler, but small things (like half-sandwiches or fruit/carrot sticks) will be just fine with their ice guardians.

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.

The jokes are very good, but let's try to stay on topic please

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Mmmm.... Musubi
    I used to live in Hawaii so I know these very well.
    I wished they had these at gas stations here like they do in Hawaii. Very convenient!

Bologna and cheese between two slices of bread.... with a Coke.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast