Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Matterhorn down for testing for 2 weeks in April

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I think overall the new sleds are still an improvement over the old (for my money, lap sitting with two full-sized adults is more uncomfortable than the new sleds' awkward sitting position), but there's definitely some concerns that should be (and hopefull will be) addressed.
    I just don't understand this, they always asked if you wanted to ride single or double and there was always a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It is almost impossible to reduce a wait time for an attraction at Disneyland. If you find a way to do so, more people will simply get in line and bring the wait back up to the average time guests are willing to wait. However, what is almost certainly true is that the new sleds have improved the ridership per hour and daily ridership totals at the attraction. This is a really good thing because it pulls people from the other headliner attractions and crowded walkways.
    Even if it were true that capacity was increased, which I highly doubt, I'm not seeing how the Matterhorn is pulling more people from other headliner attractions when the same number of riders are standing in line as before. The only way for this to occur is by increasing queue times to hold more individuals for a longer period. If they truly want to draw more people, they should have done something with the special effects and made it more of an upgrade, the vehicles had no effect on this.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 04-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.

• New Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I just don't understand this, they always asked if you wanted to ride single or double and there was always a choice.
    Maybe I had bad luck, but I was never offered a chance to ride single on the Matterhorn when I went with my husband. They only seemed to allow single riders or odd numbers (our friend rode single, my husband and I had to lap-sit)

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

They never asked my group, before the new sleds. They would automatically give us individual seats, which I loved.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Maybe I had bad luck, but I was never offered a chance to ride single on the Matterhorn when I went with my husband. They only seemed to allow single riders or odd numbers (our friend rode single, my husband and I had to lap-sit)
    We were never asked or offered, but when they asked us how many were in our party we would specify: we'd say "two people - two sleds, please" or something similar. They never refused to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I'm all for making the sleds themselves more comfortable, but let's not forget what makes this ride unique is the bobsled factor. They're not smooth to travel in. The sleds should be comfortable, but making the ride itself less bumpy would defeat the purpose of the ride.
    Lol, I don't think people ride the Matterhorn because they want to experience a real bobsled! They ride it because it is a cool roller coaster at Disneyland. Also bobsled tracks are very smooth, at least they look that way on the Olympics. I'm pretty sure a bumpy bobsled track would flip the bobsled. Anyway, they should either pad the seats or fix the ride so that it is smooth.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    Lol, I don't think people ride the Matterhorn because they want to experience a real bobsled! They ride it because it is a cool roller coaster at Disneyland. Also bobsled tracks are very smooth, at least they look that way on the Olympics. I'm pretty sure a bumpy bobsled track would flip the bobsled. Anyway, they should either pad the seats or fix the ride so that it is smooth.
    The track layout cannot be altered. You can have all the new track you want, it will never make the attraction smooth; any change has to be done through the vehicles. Designers of the previous cars were smart and made the interior spacious so guests wouldn't be banging into the sides so much. Thick padding is not realistic for the attraction because of its accelerated wear and tear rate in an outdoor environment.

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

I'm a pretty big person and I never had a big issue with the new bobsleds. Plus they look f'n awesome! Yes, I've noticed the increased roughness, but didn't feel any nagging injuries afterwards. Some padding would do good.

• Banned User

Yes, a new steel track WOULD make the ride smoother. Replacing old steel track ALWAYS makes the ride smoother.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I rode the Matterhorn last night and the first lift hill jerked so quick I felt like my spine was going to crack. Very fun ride, I just hope a little extra padding is put in.

•   

Maybe they're installing a Disney chiropractor attraction near the exit?
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Yes, a new steel track WOULD make the ride smoother. Replacing old steel track ALWAYS makes the ride smoother.
    They have already tried this, layout is the real reason why the attraction can't be smooth because it simply whips you from one side to another and takes sharp sudden drops with far too long of a car installed. One other thing they could do is find a way to replace the current braking system which pushes the cars upward with sudden stops. Me personally though, I like the roughness of Matterhorn and I'm glad it is unalterable; this is Disney's fault for not designing a comfortable vehicle.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 04-04-2013 at 09:32 AM.

•   
    • Minion

I like the roughness of Matterhorn and I'm glad it is unalterable; this is Disney's fault for not designing a comfortable vehicle.
    I think that's really what it's about for me, too. I had no issue with the ride with the old sleds. It's the lack of padding/strange angle/closeness to the track that are making it unbearable now, and that's all about the ride vehicles, not the track.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think that's really what it's about for me, too. I had no issue with the ride with the old sleds. It's the lack of padding/strange angle/closeness to the track that are making it unbearable now, and that's all about the ride vehicles, not the track.
    100% agree with all of the above!

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    Also bobsled tracks are very smooth, at least they look that way on the Olympics. I'm pretty sure a bumpy bobsled track would flip the bobsled.
    Just look up any bobsled video on youtube. Yes, the tracks are mostly smooth, but the riders still experience a lot of shaking and hit the sides pretty hard. It does not look like the most comfortable experience. Just fyi
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney

• Filmmaker

From my experience most of the time guests were not offered a choice and were generally grouped in pairs by Cast Members. If you requested one person per seat they would almost always accomodate, but I rarely saw they actually ask which you would prefer. This may have been different during off season.

Regardless, going back to the old sleds is just not practical. There's safety concerns regarding the seatbelts, there's efficiency issues with the ride frequently running at half-capacity due to guests not wanting to lap-sit, and a host of other problems. The new sleds have issues that need to be fixed, but its disengenuous to say the old sleds were perfect.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast