• Nic

Lightbulb Powers of 10 Planetarium Show - Tomorrowland

I happened upon this video today. It brings you out into the vast depths of space, to the atoms inside of you, in under 9 minutes. It's truly beautiful, and I think it'd make a great planetarium show at Tomorrowland.

Imagine, laying at a tilted angle, watching that video in high-resolution, in a full sized planetarium.

No Star Wars, no Disney.

The pure, unadulterated, universe.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Re: Powers of 10 Planetarium Show - Tomorrowland

That was an original concept for an attraction in WestCot, omnimover style.

• formerly very helpful

I watched this film years ago at the Smithsonian. It was incredible. I'd LOVE to see more like this in Tomorrowland!

• ~

Yes. x1000 yes.

I absolutely love seeing stuff like this. Tomorrowland needs more of it.

• Minion

That's a very famous film commissioned by IBM. It would be neat if they could get IBM to sponsor it and do it right.

But it's a bit.... um.... educated for a Disneyland crowd. It assumes the viewer has at least a quality 8th grade education and an inquisitive mind, and that's not easy to find with today's Disneyland audience. They'd get more people walking out per show than the Tiki Room gets in a day.

Update the graphics (although they're pretty decent already), keep the original soundtrack and I'm all for it. Let's do this!!

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    That's a very famous film commissioned by IBM. It would be neat if they could get IBM to sponsor it and do it right.

But it's a bit.... um.... educated for a Disneyland crowd. It assumes the viewer has at least a quality 8th grade education and an inquisitive mind, and that's not easy to find with today's Disneyland audience. They'd get more people walking out per show than the Tiki Room gets in a day.
    I disagree. I think a lot of people could find fun and entertainment in this, even if they're not the brightest. It doesn't take a Science Major to enjoy this kind of show.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• formerly very helpful

As I was thinking about this, I came to wonder; would Tomorrowland actually be better if they stopped trying to create a land that looked like we were actually in the future, and simply focused on celebrating the science and new technologies and ideas that could help make the future? I know it sounds suspiciously like Innoventions, but I mean get away from the corporate sponsorships and commerials, and focus on the inspiring ideas instead.

Although I absolutely love this kind of stuff, visitors to Southern California can find excellent planetarium shows playing at the Griffith Observatory. And it's only $7 per person/per show with four different films to watch and no children under 6 years old are allowed to view. The parking is free, but you may have to hike up the hill if you do not get there early, and you even get a chance to look through a 12 inch telescope! Cool idea for Tomorrowland, but it's already being done better locally.

• formerly very helpful

But Disney can do a lot more than simply looking through a telescope or watching the planetarium show. I mean focus on new technologies that spotlight the different sciences. Kinda the way Adventure Thru Innerspace "shrunk you down" to experience the microscope, rather than simply aloowing you to look through one.