• Boise Mouse

Question Quick tips on short trip

Micechat friends! I am getting the privilege of accompanying my daughter on her senior trip next month. (I figure I will get to experience "single-rider" lines for the first time, haha!) We are going to stay over a day as well, so her and I will have two days in the parks. We usually only get to the parks every-other year, so this is a total treat, as we were there last June, but get to take a trip this year, too.

Our problem is... we are most definitely used to having at least 5 days in the parks. (I know... it seems a little extreme, but when you only get to go every-other year, it really isn't

My question is... we have never only had two days in the parks. When we were there in June, Cars Land was not open yet (we just missed it) so this will be a new place to explore.

We normally do DL in the morning, first thing. Then we head to DCA for rope drop and get to TSM to be one of the first in line. I think RSR has changed everything, right? How are the lines at TSM first thing now? Should we be doing rope drop and heading towards RSR instead?

Any suggestions would be appreciated and well received. Thanks all!

Re: Quick tips on short trip

It has changed. DCA now opens at the same time. Fast passes must be used within the window.

• Under that tree again!

TSMM is easy to ride right after opening, it takes a good 20-30 minutes for the line to build up and then is still 30-45 minutes all day and 60 on busy days.

Because everyone is now going to RSR. Also good to note is on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday is EMH(for resort hotel guests) and MM for guests with 3 day or longer hoppers in Disneyland Park. EMH for the just hotel guests in DCA on the other days of the week.

This is a bit about how and why to FP RSR.

"The regular guests from a line for FPs in front of the Carthay Theatre the winds back into Hollywood Land during the Rope Drop. The EMH guests form their own line in front behind the FP distribution area going back toward Carthay Theatre druing the EMH. At opening 9am for this example, the FP kiosks open, the regular guests are led up to the end of the EMH guests. In about 10-20 minute the EMH guests all have their FPs and the regular guests are getting there's. In 1.5-2 hours, 11am they are all distributed.

So you can get at the front of the FP line for reguar guests and wait 30 minutes during the Rope Drop, and another 10-15, and have FP for a return around about noon. "

It may work best to do RSR both days, or DCA one day DL the other on the non EMH days.

Because the RSR FPs last about 1.5 to 2 hours(on slower days), you can easily go ride TSMM first and still get a RSR FP, in fact that works very well.

The crowd going toward the Pier at Rope Drop will be huge, but 90% are going to make the left into Carsland.

Also I reccomend you first enter Carsland from the wharf entrance, and in the evening. The view is incredible to experience it that way.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• The doctor is in

I did DCA in the early morning last October and Cars Land was the only busy part of the park for a good solid 90min. I practically walked on Toy Story Mania, Little Mermaid, and Soarin' Over California. My dad had gone to Cars Land and waited about 35min for RSR.

Definitely do Cars Land first and get it out of the way. The lines for everything else won't be too substantial for a while.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

With quick trips its best to have a game plan! I'd kind of have an idea of things you guys will want to see/ride no matter what and what you would be with ok skipping this time if need be. I usually skip shows (ok, I always see Fantasmic at least once if its showing) Show times are good times to hit big attractions. Try to do as little running from land to land as possible and utilize single rider and FastPass.

I, myself has not done the DCA opening for RSR, but the advice that is given around here seems to work pretty well. You can get a lot done in 2 days! I hope you guys have a blast!

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    It has changed. DCA now opens at the same time. Fast passes must be used within the window.
    Thanks for the tip. I saw that the parks now open at the same time, and that the return times are being strictly enforced. I have heard that with the enforcement on the return times, things are running much smoother. What are your thoughts on that? I am excited to see how it is working!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    TSMM is easy to ride right after opening, it takes a good 20-30 minutes for the line to build up and then is still 30-45 minutes all day and 60 on busy days.
    Does TSMM have a single rider line? I know... it seems odd that someone would want to ride as a single rider, but it is one of my favorite rides, and I will be solo on Saturday.

"The regular guests from a line for FPs in front of the Carthay Theatre the winds back into Hollywood Land during the Rope Drop. The EMH guests form their own line in front behind the FP distribution area going back toward Carthay Theatre druing the EMH. At opening 9am for this example, the FP kiosks open, the regular guests are led up to the end of the EMH guests. In about 10-20 minute the EMH guests all have their FPs and the regular guests are getting there's. In 1.5-2 hours, 11am they are all distributed.

So you can get at the front of the FP line for reguar guests and wait 30 minutes during the Rope Drop, and another 10-15, and have FP for a return around about noon. "
    This sounds like a plan for us on the day my daughter and I will spend together, but do you know what the typical wait is for the RSR single rider line on say a Saturday? (April 13th... hoping Spring Break crowds are done by then.) If on my solo day, I head to the pier first to do TSMM (without getting a RSR FP), then come back to Cars Land, as a single rider w/o a FP to RSR, do you think I will be looking at a 60-90 minute wait? This might change my mind about whether or not to skip getting a FP.

Also I reccomend you first enter Carsland from the wharf entrance, and in the evening. The view is incredible to experience it that way.
    Thanks for this tip! Sounds like a photo-op for sure. I will plan my day to be back at Cars Land Saturday evening!

Quote Originally Posted by XxBellaThornxX View Post
    With quick trips its best to have a game plan! I'd kind of have an idea of things you guys will want to see/ride no matter what and what you would be with ok skipping this time if need be.
    My thoughts exactly. This is gonna be a whole new experience for me.... only getting to spend 2 days. I know for sure which things I must do and which things I am gonna skip. The one thing I was really looking forward to was the Matterhorn. It seems to always be down when we are there - like always! Next week it will be open, but from the sounds of it, I should stay far, far away! That's really too bad. I never minded the old sleds. Sounds like the new ones are terrible.

-----
    Thanks for all of your help! I am anxious to see how I do by myself for a day. Luckily, I won't have to spend both days alone. I have read several recent threads on this subject, and the consensus is pretty mixed... either I will love it or I will hate it. Doesn't sound like there is much in between. I have my camera to keep me company. It will be nice to be able to take photos at my own pace instead of worrying about if my family is getting tried of me composing the "perfect" landscape shot... haha.

If anyone else has any additional tips on how I should plan my days, please feel free. Single-rider advice would be much appreciated, as I have never done that before. Are the single-rider entrances marked? I honestly do not think I have ever noticed them.

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I did DCA in the early morning last October and Cars Land was the only busy part of the park for a good solid 90min. I practically walked on Toy Story Mania, Little Mermaid, and Soarin' Over California. My dad had gone to Cars Land and waited about 35min for RSR.

Definitely do Cars Land first and get it out of the way. The lines for everything else won't be too substantial for a while.
    This wasn't my experience in January - if we went to get a RSR fast pass first, Toy Story already had a half hour queue by the time we got the FP and got over there. Worked much better doing Toy Story first, then going back to get a FP for later in the day.

there's no single rider for Toy Story - so the only way to avoid waiting is to do it first thing.

there were times in January when I walked on to RSR as a single rider.

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekkap View Post
    Yup off season rules! May is very good for low crowds too so boise might get lucky there.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekkap View Post
    This wasn't my experience in January - if we went to get a RSR fast pass first, Toy Story already had a half hour queue by the time we got the FP and got over there. Worked much better doing Toy Story first, then going back to get a FP for later in the day.

there's no single rider for Toy Story - so the only way to avoid waiting is to do it first thing.

When I went in October I rode Toy Story Mania while my dad rode RSR and we practically walked on TSM. My dad was in the single rider line for 40min and that was during the Magic Morning hour.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by boisemice View Post
    I have heard that with the enforcement on the return times, things are running much smoother. What are your thoughts on that? I am excited to see how it is working!
    In my limited experience since the change, smoother is not correctly decscribing the change. I've really only noticed that Space Mountain doesn't get the evening back up it used to. Waits are all about the same.

Does TSMM have a single rider line? I know... it seems odd that someone would want to ride as a single rider, but it is one of my favorite rides, and I will be solo on Saturday.

As said it doesn't. This link is to the list of SR attractions: Rides & Attractions | Disneyland Resort

This sounds like a plan for us on the day my daughter and I will spend together, but do you know what the typical wait is for the RSR single rider line on say a Saturday?
    Right away the line is short but by mid morning it will sustain a 20-40 minute wait the whole day.

(April 13th... hoping Spring Break crowds are done by then.) If on my solo day, I head to the pier first to do TSMM (without getting a RSR FP), then come back to Cars Land, as a single rider w/o a FP to RSR, do you think I will be looking at a 60-90 minute wait? This might change my mind about whether or not to skip getting a FP.
    Crowds will be lower but but weekends are always busy. It will start as a nice day but in the afternoon you will notice it getting busier and crowded in the evening and night.

Since it's new and fun you may want to ride twice. So do consider SR and FP in the same day, and maybe again for your second day. Depending on the return time riding at day and night, preferably night is really nice too.

The one thing I was really looking forward to was the Matterhorn. It seems to always be down when we are there - like always! Next week it will be open, but from the sounds of it, I should stay far, far away! That's really too bad. I never minded the old sleds. Sounds like the new ones are terrible.
    You may recall that before the refurbishment people spoke about its jarring ride. I would keep an open mind and give it a try. Also it too has a Single Rider option.

Single-rider advice would be much appreciated, as I have never done that before. Are the single-rider entrances marked? I honestly do not think I have ever noticed them.
    Single rider is usually not clearly marked. Ask a CM at the entrance area for directions. Because it's so rare you will know them all when you want to ride again.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.