Extra Magic Hour - looking for DLR experts to answer! :)

Hi, I will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel for a couple nights in April, and I understand I'll be granted early admission (Extra Magic Hour) while I'm there. I would like to give my room key to my brother, so that he and my nephew can use the early admission to CA one day (I won't be using it, and they're not staying with me at the hotel).

My question is, will it work for me to just give him my room key? Or will they check ID with the room key and figure out he's not actually the one staying in the room?

I'm interested to know everyone's experience with this. Thanks in advance!!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Extra Magic Hour - looking for DLR experts to answer! :)

Straight from the website. Please notice bolded and italicized items:

Extra Magic Hour for Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests

Who is it for?
    Registered Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests.

What is it?
    Early admission, during every day of hotel stay, to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in either Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park one hour before the park opens to the general public.*

To enhance the Extra Magic Hour experience, it is strongly recommended that Guests arrive at least one hour and 15 minutes prior to regular park opening.

When is it?
    The current Extra Magic Hour schedule allows registered Resort Hotel Guests access to one park on these select days:

• Disneyland Park: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
    • Disney California Adventure Park (including access to the brand new Cars Land): Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays

Requirements
    For admission, each registered hotel Guest (ages 3 and older) must have a valid theme park ticket and active hotel room key card.

How do I get it?
    Extra Magic Hour is available (with valid theme park ticket) for Guests who book and stay at a Disneyland Resort Hotel.
    Will your brother be the registered guest at the hotel? If not...I suggest you not do it. I'm pretty sure they can track who the room key belongs to and try and match it to the ticket.

If I'm mistaken, someone else will have other advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetmolls View Post
    ...will it work for me to just give him my room key? Or will they check ID with the room key and figure out he's not actually the one staying in the room?
    Sometimes the CM just looks for a room key, sometimes they look a little closer and check the dates on the key. I have not seen the name checked against the tickets or ID. If your room is not full (generally 5) you could simply add your brother and nephew to your room.

• Selfie Expert

My husband and I stayed at GCH last month, and I did not have to "register" his name or anything as a guest even though he was staying with me, though my reservation said 2 adults were staying. I believe it's more based on an honor system, so please consider that if people are abusing the system it will be taken away or made less convenient for everyone.

Just my two cents.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Evil is Sexy

I noticed they are taking photos with multi-day tickets now. Just be cautious.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sweetmolls View Post
    Hi, I will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel for a couple nights in April, and I understand I'll be granted early admission (Extra Magic Hour) while I'm there. I would like to give my room key to my brother, so that he and my nephew can use the early admission to CA one day (I won't be using it, and they're not staying with me at the hotel).

My question is, will it work for me to just give him my room key? Or will they check ID with the room key and figure out he's not actually the one staying in the room?

I'm interested to know everyone's experience with this. Thanks in advance!!
    i hate to be a debbie downer but what your asking to do may not work, as they check I.D i think also because it is a room key, they take the photos now with park tickets .. so the name and or photo have to match up. I have never tried this i don't know of anyone who has, i would just to be cautious say not to try it. I would suggest that your other family members just buy a ticket for themselves.

I like the idea of registering the extra family members as guests if that doesn't cost extra. Sneaking into Disneyland doesn't sit well with me but somehow CA didn't seem as sinful.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    I like the idea of registering the extra family members as guests if that doesn't cost extra. Sneaking into Disneyland doesn't sit well with me but somehow CA didn't seem as sinful.

You are allowed 5 people per room and they don`t really check . When you check in just add their names to the room. It won`t cost you anything extra and they will get room keys with their name on it.

Also, if they plan to use the GCH entrance for EMH to get over to Carsland , get in line real early. If EMH starts at 9am , get in line before 8:15am or even at 8:00 if you you don`t mind camping out for an hour. The line for EMH at the GCH stretches from the park entrance to White Water Snacks and then double backs into the GCH entrance. It will put you in the front 20% of the crowd at the rope drop as they walk you down Route 66

Since it is just the two of them, after their first ride on RSR together, consider using the single rider line. They won`t be able to sit together but will avoid the long stand by line. Also, have one get in the RSR fastpass line with both admission tickets before the regular park opening time. They don`t start to distribute FPs until regular park opening time but the FP distribution goes really fast with CMs helping out. That way they will have two FPs for RSR for you or themselves for later in the day.
    Last edited by Jerryp49; 03-13-2013 at 04:58 AM.

•   

Here's the answer in a nutshell:

You paid $300+ a night for the room. You do not want to use the early morning feature and want to pass it off to relitives who will be at the resort the same day.
    I say heck yes! They only look for the room key for early entry, they dont pat you down, ask for your complete medical history, etc. It wont be a problem.
    If you are worried, you can do as others said earlier, just get extra room keys for them (as you can have up to 5 guests per room).

• Mistress of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    You are allowed 5 people per room and they don`t really check . When you check in just add their names to the room. It won`t cost you anything extra and they will get room keys with their name on it.
    This ^ Add them to your reservation.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Is it against the rule of the hotel to do what you are doing?

Yes.

Can you get away with it?

Maybe.

I think you already know that the possibility exists that you will get caught or that you won't be able to pull this off and thats why you asked to see if anyone else had tried and gotten away with it. It really doesn't matter what anyone here says.... you know thats its intrinsically wrong, and at the end of the day you are the one that has to live with the consequences, not anyone here.

MiceChat in no way condones or approves of any violation of the rules of Disneyland or of the resort, and we do not allow discussion of the possible violation of those rules. Therefore, this thread will be closed without further discussion.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.