Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Mickey is not my Brother

Re: CONFIRMED! Disney changes admission policies for teens and tweens.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Good question! While it's not very clear yet what the specifics of the policy are I'm going to assume it's only a gate policy because it's near impossible for any CM to verify a guest's age once they're in the park (unless they can check a guest's age on point of sale machines). And even then, if every CM had to be on the lookout for unattended minors it would probably bog down park operations.
    CM already check guests age coming in to attractions alone, so it isn't as impossible as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not allowing someone under 14 in the park without a parent is slowing down their development how?
    Kids need to learn to be responsible. How long are we going to continue to be over protective of our children? Let them grow up. It's pretty disgusting the number of kids over the age of 21 that are still living with their parents these days.

• Zephyr Pilot

My main question is will this be apply to individual rides? If two 13 year olds want to ride Jumpin' Jellyfish and their parent is busy eating a corn dog, they can't ride?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    Kids need to learn to be responsible. How long are we going to continue to be over protective of our children? Let them grow up. It's pretty disgusting the number of kids over the age of 21 that are still living with their parents these days.
    Are you aware of the controversy several years ago surrounding the CA Dept of Corrections placing registered sex offenders in motels within the Resort District? They stopped doing this after media exposure. But it has been a number of years since so who knows if they aren't quietly doing this again? Also the DLR is not in the best part of Anaheim. Its just a stones throw away from where all the gang problems were that bubbled to the surface last summer. There is a lot of trouble kids can get themselves into if allowed to run around the area all day long.

Last time I checked the economy is still not doing well. At least not well enough for kids 18-21 to go out on their own. It isn't because of them lacking the skill to be out on their own. It's because most 21 year olds can't afford the average OC rental rate of $1200 per month.

• Mickey is not my Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Krillinish View Post
    My main question is will this be apply to individual rides? If two 13 year olds want to ride Jumpin' Jellyfish and their parent is busy eating a corn dog, they can't ride?
    unless they lie about their age

• Selfie Expert

I'm pretty sure age will be checked at the admission gates to the park, not at individual rides.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    There are plenty of ways that parents can teach their children to be responsible. Many parents are able to raise responsible kids without those kids (gasp) ever having been alone at Disneyland in order to learn to behave. After all, many kids never even have the opportunity to go to Disneyland at all and still manage to be responsible adults!

This is obviously a case of 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'. Because of a few unfortunate incidents, Disney has had to tighten up their policies. What else is new? Disney's policies are usually to either increase 'guest-enjoyment' or reduce 'guest-litigiousness'.

And as far as kids over 21 still living with their parents? Excuse me, but there are many reasons why an adult child may be living with their parents once they leave school. Many graduates today are having a difficult time finding jobs that pay a living wage or an adult child may have lost their job. Some may have been through a nasty divorce or a serious illness, or need help in raising their children. Some may be living at home in order to save up a downpayment for their own home. Yes, there are 'slackers' who live in the basement playing video games & smoking weed. But I'd say the vast majority of kids who are living at home would much rather be out on their own.

One needs to be careful when making generalizations. They are usually wrong and often offend others.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    CM already check guests age coming in to attractions alone, so it isn't as impossible as you think.
    Last time I looked the only thing they were checking was height.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

I can imagine CM's asking ages at the gate but not individual attractions. Say a few 10 year olds were allowed to go off on their own, away from their adults yet they are still in the park, and they get asked for their age by a CM. Would they do something with the kids until an adult was found?

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    There are plenty of ways that parents can teach their children to be responsible. Many parents are able to raise responsible kids without those kids (gasp) ever having been alone at Disneyland in order to learn to behave. After all, many kids never even have the opportunity to go to Disneyland at all and still manage to be responsible adults!

This is obviously a case of 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'. Because of a few unfortunate incidents, Disney has had to tighten up their policies. What else is new? Disney's policies are usually to either increase 'guest-enjoyment' or reduce 'guest-litigiousness'.

And as far as kids over 21 still living with their parents? Excuse me, but there are many reasons why an adult child may be living with their parents once they leave school. Many graduates today are having a difficult time finding jobs that pay a living wage or an adult child may have lost their job. Some may have been through a nasty divorce or a serious illness, or need help in raising their children. Some may be living at home in order to save up a downpayment for their own home. Yes, there are 'slackers' who live in the basement playing video games & smoking weed. But I'd say the vast majority of kids who are living at home would much rather be out on their own.

One needs to be careful when making generalizations. They are usually wrong and often offend others.

All of this^^^

My boy will be 9 in a week. I could NEVER imagine just dropping him off at the park with his pass and waving goodbye.....

Maybe I'm over protective but until predators are no longer in this world I will try to protect him to the best of my ability and on the same token, teach him responsibility and awareness.

Maybe he will still be living with me at 21, but he will dang sure be either working, going to school, or doing both. Well, he'll probably be playing hockey since that is what he's learning now. And as Stormy said...there are many reason why adults live with their parents now a days.

Anyway, I think this is a good policy for Disney. Even though it doesn't stop the whole family from going into the park, then mom and dad sitting on a bench while 9 and 11 year old go run around, but its a start.

(I still can't fathom how a parent can let a small child run around a vast public place (such as Disney parks) alone and not worry about if they will return....)

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by XxBellaThornxX View Post
    I can imagine CM's asking ages at the gate but not individual attractions. Say a few 10 year olds were allowed to go off on their own, away from their adults yet they are still in the park, and they get asked for their age by a CM. Would they do something with the kids until an adult was found?
    who knows. probably not..maybe.. we don't really know yet right? but still there is that fine line when you gotta cut the chord and let your kids go off on their own in the parks to do their own experiences(and i am talking older like 9 to whatever age)! And Disneyland is the perfect place to do that. Besides kids get to that age, the tween ages, that parents are embarrassing and so i think it's okay to let a kid ride some rides on their own at Disneyland and if they have friends all the better!9 and up i think are responsible enough to be left alone for a few hours to do their own thing in Disneyland..i kinda feel like Disney is over-reacting just a tad about the 14 and under supervision thing..but that is just me. yeah given there is predators out there, but if a kid encounters any strangers and they feel they might harm them they should be taught to run away and tell a adult like security guard(since we are talking disneyland)..but then again I have never heard of an child kidnappings at Disneyland.
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 03-14-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    who knows. probably not..maybe.. we don't really know yet right? but still there is that fine line when you gotta cut the chord and let your kids go off on their own in the parks to do their own experiences! And Disneyland is the perfect place to do that. Besides kids get to that age, the tween ages, that parents are embarrassing and so i think it's okay to let a kid ride some rides on their own at Disneyland and if they have friends all the better! 10 yr olds i think are responsible enough to be left alone for a few hours to do their own thing in Disneyland..i kinda feel like Disney is over-reacting just a tad about the 14 and under supervision thing..but that is just me
    At 10, Disneyland was my first experience with independence. I was able to go off with a friend for a few hours at a time while my grandma stayed in the park. (this was before DCA, we had no reason to be outside the gates at all) The world is a different place then it was back then and I know Disneyland is a public place but its highly monitored unlike most other public places.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    but then again I have never heard of an child kidnappings at Disneyland.
    You are actually right, Snopes does confirm that to date there have been no child abductions. However, I tend to be pre-cautious wherever the environment, whether it be Wal-mart or Disneyland.

I know Disneyland is a public place but its highly monitored unlike most other public places.
    I agree about Disneyland being much more monitored than your average mall, for example. However, as I said above, I tend to be pre-cautious.

I guess as a parent, I would not let my child run free not only for the fact that it bothers me to let my 9 year old run free unprotected by me, but also because I can't correct him if he does get a bit rowdy. He's a kid, he's gonna get rowdy when the "rules" (meaning me, the parent figure who is, in his eyes, the enforcer of said rules) is no where in sight. I'm pretty sure he'll push the envelope sooner or later. And I wouldn't feel like a responsible parent allowing that to happen.

I think Disney made a good call here and there was no over-reacting on their part.

• Sock Puppet

At 10, Disneyland was my first experience with independence. I was able to go off with a friend for a few hours at a time while my grandma stayed in the park. (this was before DCA, we had no reason to be outside the gates at all) The world is a different place then it was back then and I know Disneyland is a public place but its highly monitored unlike most other public places.

Right exactly, yeah a bit different now then back then when i was 10.but still this is disneyland we are talking about. kids at 10 should know about stranger danger and right from wrong already..LOL besides i feel that this may make a few parents a bit cray-cray! i see many parental units sitting at a table enjoying a glass of wine with nothing but relief on their faces cause their 11 or 12 year old is on mater's junk yard! Parents need time to themselves too! LOL

i was able to go off and do my own thing too when i was 9,10,11,12 and beyond, the chord was cut early and i did my own life experiences in the park and it was great! lots of memorys made.. but everyone's parenting style is different!

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    You are actually right, Snopes does confirm that to date there have been no child abductions. However, I tend to be pre-cautious wherever the environment, whether it be Wal-mart or Disneyland.

I agree about Disneyland being much more monitored than your average mall, for example. However, as I said above, I tend to be pre-cautious.

I guess as a parent, I would not let my child run free not only for the fact that it bothers me to let my 9 year old run free unprotected by me, but also because I can't correct him if he does get a bit rowdy. He's a kid, he's gonna get rowdy when the "rules" (meaning me, the parent figure who is, in his eyes, the enforcer of said rules) is no where in sight. I'm pretty sure he'll push the envelope sooner or later. And I wouldn't feel like a responsible parent allowing that to happen.

I think Disney made a good call here and there was no over-reacting on their part.
    When my son turns 10 i'll let him venture around Disneyland with a friend if he wants to. But knowing me i'll stay close to monitor for 2 reasons. 1) To see how he acts so I can determine if he is ready for some independence or if he's not ready and 2) because I tend to be SUPER over protective of him lol

I dont think Disney is over reacting with this at all. Dropping kids that age off for the day with out an adult at least being on property is a totally different situation in my opinion.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast