Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• No Disassemble!

Re: CONFIRMED! Disney changes admission policies for teens and tweens.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    CM already check guests age coming in to attractions alone, so it isn't as impossible as you think.
    I'm assuming that you're talking about how they're on the lookout for kids 7 (and under) who are unattended. Have you considered how difficult it might be for CMs to have to do the same thing but with teenagers? At the least it would be stressful for the CMs if they were required to enforce this policy "post-gate".

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    By time the kids get to 14, they're gonna want to go to Universal anyway.
    Who's gonna drive them? Not their parents if they live within 10 miles of Anaheim.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Mostly Harmless.

Anyone want to hear my two cents? Probably not, but here goes anyways. I remember being 12 or 13 and cruising the park alone AND not acting like an imbecile. Maybe things where different, maybe my parents raise me to be respectful, or maybe it was the fear of the hiding I'd get if I was caught doing something idiotic. With all of that I trust my 12 year old to be alone in the parks and act responsibly. I actually told him about the new policy and he is pretty disappointed. Anyways... I'm rambling. Ok back to ignoring me. Thanks.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Anyone want to hear my two cents? Probably not, but here goes anyways. I remember being 12 or 13 and cruising the park alone AND not acting like an imbecile. Maybe things where different, maybe my parents raise me to be respectful, or maybe it was the fear of the hiding I'd get if I was caught doing something idiotic. With all of that I trust my 12 year old to be alone in the parks and act responsibly. I actually told him about the new policy and he is pretty disappointed. Anyways... I'm rambling. Ok back to ignoring me. Thanks.
    I hate to say it, but things were different. I remember going on school trips to Six Flags and while I never acted like a moron there were a lot of kids who did. The difference then was they would actually get punished for it. It's a shame that the way of the world is if one person acts out then everyone else has to suffer the consequences.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Not on the Jedi Council

I remember when I was a kid in the mid 1970s being at the mall when I was six and my brother was nine, and we never had any mishaps. I will guess this is a lawyer thing based on whatever "terrible incident" was referred to upthread.

And yeah, Disney should change the adult price to 14 and older if they admit kids are kids til then. They charge adult price on APs from Age 3 and Up? That's just wrong, even more so with this policy.

• Circle of Ancients

I think this is a good thing. Our kids have been to Disneyland easily over 100 times and they are now 15 and 16. I think they were 13 the firsr time we let them wander around Disneyland alone, or go ride rides on their own. But it's not like we dropped them off at the park all day by themselves.

Here's my question though ... is it just the "Admission" policy or once inside the park do you need to be with somebody 14 or older. Are CM's going to be questioning kids?
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 03-15-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Oh man! I feel so bad for the lady behind me in line earlier this week. She was buying annual passes for her kids so they could spend the summer days there. She even went out of her way to buy the passes that would allow them the blocked out dates. Poor woman! They should have warned her at the window.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I like the idea. When my brother and I were teens we lived in AZ, so coming to the park by ourselves didn't happen till we were 16 and could drive. Disney shouldn't be a babysitter.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Thank you for being a great parent and raising your son to be responsible!! We need more of you out there!!

I think this is one of those cases where the many spoil it for the few. The parents who used Disneyland as their daycare center/summer camp and the ones who let their kids act like hooligans spoiled it for the responsible ones.

Times change, but I honestly do think there are still probably plenty of under-14s out there who are fine in the parks, who behave well and who wouldn't give anyone any cause for concern. Unfortunately the others have ruined it for them.

I looked through the thread and didn't see this raised so here are a couple of questions I have:

1. kids under 14 won't be allowed to park hop without their parents?

2. what about the parents who may want to relax at lunch or dinner, will the kids be able to re-enter the park without an adult?

• Chief Troublemaker

Article from the OC Register. New policy in effect 3/23.

Disney to impose age policy at theme parks | policy, children, age - News - The Orange County Register

Apparently this change will also be in effect in Disney World as the article says 'all American Disney Parks'. It says 'to GET INTO' (rather than 'be in') the Parks so I assume once a kid is in the parks they can split off from the parent. Also says they won't be checking ID.

I assume this means that if you look under 14 a CM may approach you and ask you where your parents are.

I wonder if it will be acceptable for a parent to just be 'on property', i.e. DTD or in one of the resort hotels or if the requirement is that you actually be physically in the same park (DL or DCA) as your child.

I also wonder if this will be one of those policies that will basically be enforced on an 'as need' (i.e. kid acting stupid or disruptive) basis.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Seeker of Fun

I like the idea. Hopefully it will be enforced, as Disneyland is not supposed to be a daycare!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• *Experiment 999*

i think it's a good change. Some kids would be fine going in if they were under 14, but the majority of youth today has no respect for others and just act like idiots. It's unfortunate that the decent youth of today will get jipped on Disney fun time, but with any rule enforcements, there are always pluses and minuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I also wonder if this will be one of those policies that will basically be enforced on an 'as need' (i.e. kid acting stupid or disruptive) basis.
    ​Probably. Kids who are behaving won't need the talking-to that disruptive kids will need.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Hukuna Matata!

This sucks for kids......

but is great for meeeee! Hopefully this cuts down the disrespectful foul mouth punk kids.

• Element of Laughter

The first time I was allowed to venture off at Disneyland by myself, I was 13(there were a few instances where my mom would let me ride certain rides by myself when I was 10, but that isn't the same thing), and the first time she ever dropped me off by myself, I was 14 and in high school. Of course, I never really got into any shenanigans, but that was just me. I think in the back of my mind, I probably thought the idea of being permanently banned from Disneyland would be a very bad thing. . . For a long time, Disneyland was a temporary escape from the hell that was my existence.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast