Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

CONFIRMED! Disney changes admission policies for teens and tweens.

I confirmed this with a phone call to Disneyland Resort this afternoon. It's certainly going to change the way some people decide on whether they want to keep buying AP's for their kids:

Disney is making a change to the age of admission policy for all of its US parks, including all the gated attractions at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort. Locations included are Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's Blizzard Beach, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon, DisneyQuest, Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure.

Starting March 23 2013, guests under age 14 will need to be accompanied by a guest age 14 or older. Currently, the policy is that guests under 7 years of age must be accompanied by a guest age 14 or older.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• The doctor is in

Re: CONFIRMED! Disney changes admission policies for teens and tweens.

This already happens in certain movie theaters. There is one in my local area that won't let any guests under the age of 17 into the theater without a parent or guardian after 7pm.

Doesn't bother me one bit.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I think that is great.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow. I remember stories going back to when I was a kid how parents would drop their kids off at the park before going to work and picking them up when they were off. I remember hearing one story where two brothers were left alone inside Disneyland one day while their parents were at work. One boy was 7. The other was 5. Or maybe it was 5 and 3. In any case this is great that they made this policy!

•   
    • Minion

I think this is a positive change.

• Blew By You

Not bad I think.

Wow isn't 14 a bit too old to be the minimum? I remember going on dates alone to disneyland at around 13-14. Sad how more and more aspects of society(TV, Companies, Gov) are forced/expected to play the mother hen role for our youth. Parents these days love to blame everyone but themselves, be it teachers, schools, or tv shows...
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Chief Troublemaker

I wasn't aware that young children alone was such a serious problem or concern. I know that my friends & I could run around Disneyland by ourselves starting at about age 13, but my parents were also in the park. Just the thought that they might see us 'do something' kept us on 'pretty good' behavior!

I don't think I was ever at the park without my parents (well usually Mom & one of her 'pals') being around somewhere there, too, until I was 16 & either on a date* or my 'gang' (aka 'those girls!' to our parents) having driven ourselves. But then that may have been just as much because we lived just far enough away that it would have been a bit of a hassle drive there, drop us off & then have to drive back to pick us up. Easier for Mom to head to the Pendleton Store (anyone remember that?). She used to buy that place out then have lunch at Carnation Plaza and dinner at the Blue Bayou, then hang out on Main Street.

I really can't imagine dropping my kids off like that at such a young age. Let's see, Matt at 14? Phillip would have been 9. First off, I wouldn't have been able to trust Matt not to 'ditch' his 'pesky little brother'. LOL. Seriously, I can't believe that parents would be so irresponsible. And wow, using DL as childcare while you're at work??!! Is childcare really that expensive that Disneyland tickets would be cheaper? Well, I guess an Annual Pass would be way cheaper, but come on! Seriously??

I think 14 is a reasonable age. Most kids begin to develop a few 'street smarts' by 14 & can usually be counted upon to make 'relatively' good choices.

*Is it a sign of my age that I wasn't allowed to 'car-date' til I was 16? Is using the term 'car-date' doing the same thing? LOL
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I don't see this as "blaming" anyone for responsibility for their kid. It just means nobody has to deal with kids running wild and wreacking havoc with no parent around.

To me, letting a 10-year old run loose for the day is asking Disney to play babysitter more than saying you have to have someone with them to be responsible for them. If parents didn't dump the kids at DL, this rule wouldn't be needed.

Kind of like if smokers were polite and didn't fling cig butts and didn't put smoke into spaces where nonsmokers go, we wouldn't need laws about where and when you could smoke.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Starting March 23 2013, guests under age 14 will need to be accompanied by a guest age 14 or older. Currently, the policy is that guests under 7 years of age must be accompanied by a guest age 14 or older.

So (2) 14 year olds can go in? doesn't seem worded right. They don't need an adult or Guardian just need a friend to go with.

it doesn't effect me as we don't have kids, it just sounds weird. I can imagine a couple 14 year olds ditching school and still getting into Disneyland.

• Minion

My mother started letting us go out by ourselves when we were around 12 or 13. I don't blame Disney for changing the age limit.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I don't see this as "blaming" anyone for responsibility for their kid. It just means nobody has to deal with kids running wild and wreacking havoc with no parent around.

To me, letting a 10-year old run loose for the day is asking Disney to play babysitter more than saying you have to have someone with them to be responsible for them. If parents didn't dump the kids at DL, this rule wouldn't be needed.
    Well said! Kudos to Disney for taking the first step on the road to ridding the DLR of its reputation as an afterschool hangout for local kids.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

I think this is a good change. I wasn't able to go alone until I could drive. I think I treat the park with respect because of that since i had to learn how to take care of things on my own.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    So (2) 14 year olds can go in? doesn't seem worded right. They don't need an adult or Guardian just need a friend to go with.
    It is worded correctly, but could have been better phrased by noting that 13 years old and younger must be accompanied by a 14 years or older guests (as opposed to the previous 7 years and younger).
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I confirmed this with a phone call to Disneyland Resort this afternoon. It's certainly going to change the way some people decide on whether they want to keep buying AP's for their kids:

There's hope for Disney yet.........
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast