Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Hatbox Ghost: Mystery or Money-maker?

Around the forum, I've seen people talk about a possible return of the Hatbox Ghost to the Haunted Mansion. I've also noticed Disney recognizing the famous ghost. Just the other day, I saw a small model of the Hatbox ghost at World of Disney. If it returns, it probably will me made into a bunch of merchandise. Would you rather have it remain a little Disney secret to remember or have it returned to it's place in the ride, making it un-mysterious?

Name:  myths_hatbox2.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  94.3 KB

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Hatbox Ghost: Mystery or Money-maker?

I would love to have him return to his place in the HM. Merchandise? Where?!
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• film975

Arrow Re: Hatbox Ghost: Mystery or Money-maker?

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    Around the forum, I've seen people talk about a possible return of the Hatbox Ghost to the Haunted Mansion. I've also noticed Disney recognizing the famous ghost. Just the other day, I saw a small model of the Hatbox ghost at World of Disney. If it returns, it probably will me made into a bunch of merchandise. Would you rather have it remain a little Disney secret to remember or have it returned to it's place in the ride, making it un-mysterious?

Name:  myths_hatbox2.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  94.3 KB
    It's not a mystery. Nor some money-making scheme. The Hatbox Ghost was in the Haunted Mansion for the first couple of weeks after the ride opened back in 1969. However, the effect he utilized didn't work very well. Which is why he was removed so soon. This video from the Disney History Institute might shed some light on the subject. I think most Disneyland guests would welcome his return if he finally did in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    It's not a mystery. Nor some money-making scheme. The Hatbox Ghost was in the Haunted Mansion for the first couple of weeks after the ride opened back in 1969. However, the effect he utilized didn't work very well. Which is why he was removed so soon. This video from the Disney History Institute might shed some light on the subject. I think most Disneyland guests would welcome his return if he finally did in the near future.

Ya, it's not really a mystery but I mean more that the average tourist would have no clue what it is.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think its time for it to make its perment daybue. Today I am sure that they could add one more perment audio annamtronic to the attraction. Disneyland is at least owed its old friend.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• -

I never understood the fascination with this. All it was was a prop that never worked quite right and was thus rightfully removed.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• a damsel not in distress

i want him back and would be allllll over getting the merchandise. i don't personally feel ownership of any "disneyland secrets" over people who aren't as much as a fan as i am. i'm always the person in our group who is always spouting off "fun facts" because i want people to be as excited about disneyland history as i am. i think bringing back an old character like the hatbox ghost would be a great way to get new people excited and knowledgeable about the history and progress of disneyland.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• a damsel not in distress

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I never understood the fascination with this. All it was was a prop that never worked quite right and was thus rightfully removed.
    my personal fascination with the hatbox ghost is, though he never worked right, that he was built on a fun, creepy idea. there's so much for me in the haunted mansion that isn't so much creepy as it is fun (which, obviously, is in the disneyland spirit!), but i think the hatbox ghost embodied the two elements the best.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

•   
    • Minion

I think it would be cool to put him back in the attic. Disney has brought back older ideas before - like the flying saucers - when they feel the technology is finally strong enough to support them. Perhaps that will happen with the Hatbox Ghost eventually.

They've already done merch with the Hatbox Ghost as I understand it, and it's sold well. I can't see him ever being the center of a multi-million dollar merchandising empire - although one should never say never - but I can see HG merch being appreciated by the contingent of fans who know about him and like him, regardless if he's in the attic or not.

• rebmeM roinuJ

Im for it. Just as long as its not Johnny Depp as: The Hatbox Ghost.... lol

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

The new Haunted Mansion movie that is being made has been rumored to include the Hat Box Ghost.

EXCLUSIVE: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘The Haunted Mansion’ Involves The Hatbox Ghost, Multiple Mansions

From the article:

"The storyline for 'The Haunted Mansion' and the ride is quite open," he explained. "We are taking sort of the core mythology that you can tap into and saying that there are many mansions around the world and they're all part of a sort of web. The spider sitting at the center of the web is what the fans of 'The Haunted Mansion' would know by the nickname the Hatbox Ghost, which is a beautiful creature that was created but there's a legend that it was discarded on the first day of the ride's operation because it was too scary. I like that legend, but the reality is that the imagineers could not make the illusion work, so they took it out. It's more or less where the bride is in the attic on the way out of the mansion, but it's such a great character that there is literally a cult for the Hatbox Ghost amongst hardcore 'Haunted Mansion' fanatics, and I'm one of them."

The director said this almost 3 years ago which might explain why he's gotten more popular in recent years.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Minion

I think it's too late to return the HBG to a mystery most people don't know about. There's probably too much written about him online for that.

I'd love to see him come back, but since the whole attic scene has been re-imagined since the time it was designed with him in it, I'm not so sure he'd fit in there anymore. Maybe he'd be better in the graveyard or somewhere.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I really hope that Del Toro movie gets made. If it does, it will be terrifying.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by XxBellaThornxX View Post
    The new Haunted Mansion movie that is being made has been rumored to include the Hat Box Ghost.

EXCLUSIVE: Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘The Haunted Mansion’ Involves The Hatbox Ghost, Multiple Mansions

From the article:

"The storyline for 'The Haunted Mansion' and the ride is quite open," he explained. "We are taking sort of the core mythology that you can tap into and saying that there are many mansions around the world and they're all part of a sort of web. The spider sitting at the center of the web is what the fans of 'The Haunted Mansion' would know by the nickname the Hatbox Ghost, which is a beautiful creature that was created but there's a legend that it was discarded on the first day of the ride's operation because it was too scary. I like that legend, but the reality is that the imagineers could not make the illusion work, so they took it out. It's more or less where the bride is in the attic on the way out of the mansion, but it's such a great character that there is literally a cult for the Hatbox Ghost amongst hardcore 'Haunted Mansion' fanatics, and I'm one of them."

The director said this almost 3 years ago which might explain why he's gotten more popular in recent years.
    Well that is interesting. If its anything like Mama....I'm out! I can't stand those scary movies.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post

Exactly....

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Seconded.

As someone who doesn't know much about the HBG, and in fact heard nothing about it until joining MC not too long ago, I can say I'm pretty excited about it's possible return. I love these "little known facts" or "pieces of Disneyland history" or whatever it is you want to label it. Something about this kind of stuff is very intriguing to me.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast