Bad Parenting at Goofy's Playhouse :video:

Thought you guys might enjoy this:

Bad Parenting at Disneyland Goofy's Playhouse - YouTube

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Bad Parenting at Goofy's Playhouse :video:

Quote Originally Posted by SomePplsChildren View Post

You know, I was really surprised at the amount of this kind of thing I saw last month. Any number of parents allowing kids to jump on, play on, pull up, &/or trample on things and plants that were obviously not meant for 'public access'. And some of these were things behind low barriers or small fencing, obviously 'off limits'. One kid's mother actually 'aw, how cute'-ed when their kid started picking flowers from the beds to give to her.

And don't get me started on the number parents in line in the late afternoons with obviously exhausted, crying little ones who were in desperate need of some quiet-time and/or a nap.

And I'm a mom. A mom who took her 2 now grown sons to DL many, many times from age 15 mos on. I know about toddler 'meltdowns', etc, etc. And we used to get out of any line or facility we were in, no matter how long we had been waiting & would seek out a quiet place for some soothing or go to the hotel for a nap. It is NOT FUN for any child (nor the people around) to be so miserable or so tired that you are out of control, crying or 'tantrum-ing'.

Sometimes I think people equate 'the price I paid for this vacation!!!' with 'so we will BE HERE and HAVE FUN, dammit!!' no matter who is or isn't really having all that much fun. And that includes dragging sick kids to the park!

Oops. I hijacked. My bad. Sorry. But I do feel better, thanks!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    And I'm a mom. A mom who took her 2 now grown sons to DL many, many times from age 15 mos on. I know about toddler 'meltdowns', etc, etc. And we used to get out of any line or facility we were in, no matter how long we had been waiting & would seek out a quiet place for some soothing or go to the hotel for a nap. It is NOT FUN for any child (nor the people around) to be so miserable or so tired that you are out of control, crying or 'tantrum-ing'.

Thank you- I wish more people would do that. You're right that it;s no fun to be around a kid who's that exhausted/cranky/tantrumy. My mom wouldn't have let us get away with that kind of behavior, either.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

Thank you- I wish more people would do that. You're right that it;s no fun to be around a kid who's that exhausted/cranky/tantrumy. My mom wouldn't have let us get away with that kind of behavior, either.

You're welcome. I know a lot of parents think 'Oh once they get on Peter Pan they'll be just fine'. Well, allrighty then. You're going to let your child cry or scream for 35-40 minutes in line on the off-chance that they'll enjoy that 5 minute ride. Um, ok. Pffft!!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Parking Lot > DCA

You're welcome. I know a lot of parents think 'Oh once they get on Peter Pan they'll be just fine'. Well, allrighty then. You're going to let your child cry or scream for 35-40 minutes in line on the off-chance that they'll enjoy that 5 minute ride. Um, ok. Pffft!!!
    And annoy every around for that 30-45 minutes.

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Unfortunately, this is the direction parenting has taken for some parents whom can't be bothered to actually keep their kids in check like most of us do or have been with our own parents. Bless our parents for teaching us manners and good behavior!

When I went back in January, we waited in line at Minnie's House to meet Minnie. You wouldn't believe the things these kids were doing and how the parents let them run amok as if it were Chuck E. Cheese's! Kids were banging on everything, running around the kitchen, all while the parents just waited.

It's sad how some parents have become lazy...I applaud those who still try to reinforce manners, obedience and proper etiquette though.

• a damsel not in distress

Sometimes I think people equate 'the price I paid for this vacation!!!' with 'so we will BE HERE and HAVE FUN, dammit!!' no matter who is or isn't really having all that much fun.
    so what i say next may sound ridiculous, seeing as i'm obviously an adult, but it relates so much to this statement (and my mother's amazing parenting, even with her kids grown) that i have to share.

the last time we were at the park, we got up rather early on the third day, and the culmination of the prior days of travel, disneylanding, celebration, and time changes had me hitting a bad mood around 2pm. however, i was so determined to do everything since i had saved money to be there for the holiday season and had to take off work to be there, so i kept pushing myself to not leave. after about an hour of my half-hearted attitude, my mom (bless her little heart) looked at me and the rest of the group (who was also exhausted) and made the executive decision to take us all back to the hotel for a nap. mom is boss, so we went to the hotel for naps, and returned to the parks hours later fully refreshed and excited. my mom said she could see looming tantrums on the grandkids' faces and pissy-ness rising in my own, and that it was more worth it to her that we remember good parts of the trip rather than how we spent the third exhausted and annoyed. my mom is an early riser and a pro at being busy, so she could have easily pushed through without a nap and could have done so much more in the park, but she realized that families are single units at disneyland, and so she wasn't going to have fun with us unhappy and other families could potentially be annoyed by her unit, and she wasn't going to let either of those happen.

long story short: my mom's disneyland parenting rocks.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

These kids are damaging Disney property. Why isn't Disney tossing them out of the park?

• Banned User

I go to the park with two kids quite often and they know how to behave. No human leashes or physical intimidation required. All it takes is communication, patients and realizing that the entire park doesn't want to hear your child scream. The second any bad behavior starts, you shut it down.

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    These kids are damaging Disney property. Why isn't Disney tossing them out of the park?
    Haha yeah.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    I guess it would probably help if a CM was nearby.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Blew By You

I was kind of expecting total meltdown mania. But that said, the adults seemed quite tired and drawn out. So, the kids took the moment to have their moment of unobserved bliss. It's about the same amount of time for a child to wander off.

• The doctor is in

I love the reaction from the guy behind the camera. I probably would have started laughing, too.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• i believe in faeries.

my daughter had a temper tantrum when we went in september... i told her she would get a time-out if she didn't smarten up... she responded back with 'you wouldn't find a time-out spot in disneyland!' i did, by the bathrooms in NOS. after she cooled off and we had a chat, another parent approached me and asked if my daughter was 4 by any chance... turns out, he had an almost identical conversation with his child earlier that day!

the biggest thing i learned on that trip is to cut your losses when the kid is cranky, and go back to the hotel for lunch/nap/swim and to go at the kid's pace, but not let them run the show.