Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• failure for lunch

Re: Why is Tokyo's Splash Mountain a lot more lush than ours?

I just don't agree that lush makes this one better. In fact, during the 90's the Anaheim version was 'lush.' They stopped taking care of it completely and it looked terrible. I actually like the way it looks now. I really don't see Tokyo's as superior, just different. It's cool, but I happen to like the Anaheim version better.

Originality has to count for something, doesn't it?
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Banned User

Yes, but it isnt just the lushness. The interior show scenes are superior as well. The WDW version is also superior to the the original Anaheim version. For me, the speed that you fly by all of the show scenes in Anaheim has alot to do with it.

• Banned User

I actually know the answer to this even though I don't frequent Orlando much anymore.

MK's Splash Mountain has these black rocks and much more of a desert feel to it (much less greenery) because the Imagineers wanted the mountain to be able to look good next to Big Thunder. I believe it was the second Splash that opened, and so they made these changes.

Tokyo's Splash has an awesome restaurant in it as well, not surprised that Tokyo's looks more expensive than the Disneyland version!

• No Disassemble!

Maybe because of the different growing conditions in Tokyo? Japan is a very lush country in general. SoCal is a desert climate and it takes more water and different soil conditions to thrive.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Maybe because of the different growing conditions in Tokyo? Japan is a very lush country in general. SoCal is a desert climate and it takes more water and different soil conditions to thrive.
    Although DL's Splash fits in with the river, I think in Tokyo they wanted Splash to blend in even more, hence in the planters they used plants that grow to larger size and height, and they put in more planters and planted more trees around this attraction.

Disneyland's Splash uses a fairly short growing grass, in Tokyo you can see that they actually put some pretty big plants into the planters with little, if any, grass. Hence, you could also criticize Tokyo's Splash for looking overgrown.

They could put different plants in DL's Splash and make it look very much like Tokyo's Splash. Tokyo's Splash doesn't have the "barn" on the mountain, though it still has one for the queue. I think with Tokyo they wanted to hide it on the river and make it look more naturalistic.

Name:  splash_mountain.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  94.6 KB
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-16-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    I just don't agree that lush makes this one better. In fact, during the 90's the Anaheim version was 'lush.' They stopped taking care of it completely and it looked terrible. I actually like the way it looks now. I really don't see Tokyo's as superior, just different. It's cool, but I happen to like the Anaheim version better.

Originality has to count for something, doesn't it?
    I don't think Tokyo's Splash Mountain is better because of the plants that grow on it. I think it's better because it's a far superior ride experience than the other two. The interior is what matters - and the interior just blows the other two out of the water.

That said - this discussion has clearly been one of exterior appearance, lush plant growth, etc. In that regard, I actually like all three Splash Mountains. I like that each one is different. I think I personally lean toward Tokyo's just because I like the greener style and the shape of the mountain a bit more, but that's a personal taste. I actually like the look of Disneyland's mountain more than Magic Kingdom's - even though Disneyland's ride experience is by far my least favorite, by a LOT.

The last line of your post is - I think - the most important. Originality absolutely counts, and I think it's great to see. Being someone who has traveled to all the different parks, I love seeing things I'm familiar with in a unique way. It strengthens the brand. It's a big part of what sets those parks apart from say, Six Flags. When you find the exact same coasters standing in several of their parks, it makes it hard to justify visiting them. Original spins on familiar content, however, is extremely welcome.

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    They could have put "lush" plants on Disneyland's Splash as there are a variety of plants that survive in desert that look lush, plus they have a built in watering system so they can put in whatever they want.

Plant choice is a conscious one not dictated entirely, or even mostly, by the local weather.

• Say no to screens

On TDL version one entire side is safing the rivers of ameria. I bet they did this to make SM look better than a rock.
    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

I like the look of Anaheim's more. It has enough greenery to look more like Chickapin Hill in Song of the South. Yeah, Tokyo's is more lush, and it looks nice. Orlando's version doesn't have enough greenery in it, imo, at least it looks like it from that picture. As for why anyone may find them better than Anaheim's, Darth Maul said it right.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Probably because ours was built first. usually designs get improved the second or third time around.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

I did not know this

Ours looks like sheets of golf grass, Worlds looks like a place Scar from the Lion King would hang out at and Tokyo's lush looks like swamp areas of Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by j11 View Post
    As for why anyone may find them better than Anaheim's, Darth Maul said it right.
    Three words:

Tower
    of
    Terror

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    It's not so much a complaint as curiosity. I was mainly wondering if there was a conceptual reason for it, like maybe their version of Critter Country-South was actually located somewhere else than ours, like the way Orlando's is supposed to be located more to the west.
    I was only joking about that. They had it "lanscaped" differently because they wanted it different.
    Shorter version: OLC does just about everything better with Disney than Disney itself.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Most things in Tokyo are superior.
    Yeah, I agree on some aspects of that. HM is still in its pretty much original state. (No Constance, no floating Leota, ect.)
    "Lemme outta here!"

GIF from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12