Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Tony was obviously referencing Oz the Great and Powerful, which just came out . . . as a response to a specific question about more Star Wars in the park, it was a wink and a nod way of saying that more stuff than Star Wars is being looked at, such as the Oz film.

He's a showman, and it's a dramatic way to hint about the Oz addition, whatever it might become.

The context is that last summer Tony was hinting about a Wizard of Oz attraction coming to Disneyland, I don't think he just spices up his conversations with Wizard of Oz related verbiage just for the fun of it. He specifically said that this mysterious project would depend upon a certain film doing well at the box office . . .

Though there is a slim chance I'm wrong and it was taken out of context.
    Haha, or I could be wrong! I'm not saying it's not a possibility. I mean, it sure does sound Wizard of Oz-ish, but it could also be any number of things too.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Correct. They were just at the panel and were live tweeting from it. It's hard to tell what context his answer was in, but it's interesting nonetheless. Maybe there will be some video of it soon.
    Yes, I agree. Hopefully there will be a video soon!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Baxter at "Making of" panel for PFF - hints that Oz may have presence in the park

Or maybe me means....a new party coming to DCA this summer or next Christmas
    While the movie did...well it's not that Big or being reviewed that high either

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    While the movie did...well it's not that Big
    Er– I'd say third highest March opening of all time is a kind of significant, especially when the other two were Alice and Hunger Games (both are considered capitol S Successes). It's currently sitting at $168 million worldwide after only one week. It's big. Perhaps not Star Wars or Avengers big, but certainly enough to grab Disney's attention.

And yes, as chesirecat said, I don't think it's coincidence that Baxter has been working on an Oz related project and he uses the phrase "Great and Powerful" in reference to upcoming projects. Obviously nothing's been confirmed yet, but the strong box office for Oz is definitely spells good news for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not really. Frontierland takes place in the 19th century, not the 20th. This would be more along the lines of Main Street.
    Westerns generally take place in the second half of the 19th century, so it's not a huge stretch to have a transitionary piece of the land set slightly later in time. Either way, it'd make or more interesting transition than the backstage gates they have their now.

• Minion

Oz the Great and Powerful. "...great and powerful things for Disneyland. I agree with others, I too don't believe it's a coincidence or Tony was talking about something else. It's too obvious.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

If , and that's a big IF Disneyland ever wanted to put Oz in. I would put it in Fantasyland. It would take the place of the motorboat lake as a dark ride. Just add a few scenes and copy the Oz part from the Great Movie Ride. Could work but would it have staying power?

• Sock Puppet

Soarin Over Califorina becomes " Soarin Over Oz"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Er– I'd say third highest March opening of all time is a kind of significant, especially when the other two were Alice and Hunger Games (both are considered capitol S Successes). It's currently sitting at $168 million worldwide after only one week. It's big. Perhaps not Star Wars or Avengers big, but certainly enough to grab Disney's attention.

And yes, as chesirecat said, I don't think it's coincidence that Baxter has been working on an Oz related project and he uses the phrase "Great and Powerful" in reference to upcoming projects. Obviously nothing's been confirmed yet, but the strong box office for Oz is definitely spells good news for this project.
    I think Oz needs to make around $550 million, or so, to make a profit. I'm guessing Disney gets around 55% of the domestic gross, maybe 20% of the foreign gross, so if Oz makes $250 million in the US (Disney gets about $125 million), plus if it makes $250 million foreign then disney gets about $50 million, that would be about $175 million, maybe $50 million from DVD/OnDemand, then we have about $225 million, plus the merchandising, which would get them at least $100 million, up to about $325 million which would cover the $200 million production budget and $125 million, or whatever, marketing.

• Filmmaker

The rule of thumb is if a movie can make back its marketing budget and twice its production budget it is considered a bonafide success. So with a production cost estimated at $200 million and a marketing budget estimated at $125 million, Oz will need to pull in about $525 million, which at this rate I fully expect it will.

This "rule," though, is by no means gospel. In most cases the box office is of somewhat marginal consideration in the grand scheme of things (in fact obsessing over box office numbers is a fairly new trend). Between merchandising, home media sales, television airings, etc. very few movies lose money, it just takes some longer to make it back. Of course there are real bombs, but you almost have to be trying hard for that to happen; take everyone's favorite flop John Carter, there was no merchandising and a horribly inflated marketing budget that failed in every way to actually market the movie (by comparison Oz supposedly cost $75 million less to market yet it featured theme park tie-ins, merchandising, real-world publicity stunts, etc.)

All that to say that Disney is in no danger of losing money on Oz, and, in fact, with the success it's having so far they'll probably turn quite a fair profit off of it. Definitely enough for Disney to consider it marketable enough for a sequel, theme park attraction, etc.

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not really. Frontierland takes place in the 19th century, not the 20th. This would be more along the lines of Main Street.
    You have a great point. Remember the plans to make Liberty Street and Edison Square? I know it's currently all built in with administrative buildings but if they ever saw fit to relocate those, that little nook would be pretty ripe to use for an OZ attraction. Since we already know they plan to build some kind of back alley there ( connecting north and south ends of Main Street to alleviate traffic during a parade and fireworks ) I'd say this area has already been sacrificed to the construction Gods. If you're removing half of the administration building, why not just remove it all and toss an attraction into that remaining space.

Good call, Calsig. Time will tell if you predicted this one on the nose.

• Banned User

The rule of thumb is if a movie can make back its marketing budget and twice its production budget it is considered a bonafide success.
    Not exactly true, that is what its needs to break even, a bonafide success make a lot for the studios, i.e. hundreds of millions.

That's just the "rule of thumb" because the studio usually only get back about 55% of the domestic gross, the rest goes to the theater, and other costs. With foreign box office the picture is different, sometimes studios might only get back, in income from foreign box office, maybe 15% of the gross. So, this is why for a film to break even or be a technical success by not losing money, it must gross about double what it costed to make, plus marketing.

Oz didn't "make" Disney $80 million last weekend, probably closer to $50 million depending on the specifics of the deal. Used to be that the studio got like 90% of opening weekend ticket sales, then little after this.

• Banned User

All that to say that Disney is in no danger of losing money on Oz, and, in fact, with the success it's having so far they'll probably turn quite a fair profit off of it. Definitely enough for Disney to consider it marketable enough for a sequel, theme park attraction, etc.
    Debatable, given that we don't know if Oz has legs, certainly I loved the film. If the film does $500 million, with an even split between domestic foreign, then we're looking good for the film to break even. Add in DVD sales, I'm guess $70 million, plus merchandising, then yes, they will make some money, maybe $150 million total? But this will take until after the DVD is released and merchandise is sold.

But, let's say Oz does just $150 million in the US, that's $80 million for Disney, and then does $400 million foreign, maybe another $80 million for Disney, so that would be just $160 million, plus DVD sales, they'd be lucky to get back what it costed to make and market the film.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 03-15-2013 at 01:52 PM.

• Filmmaker

You're falling victim the the fallacy of Hollywood's reported profits. Hollywood will use any kind of dirty tactics necessary to make it appear as if they made less on a movie than they really did (that way they don't have to pay as many royalties to the other parties involved). The whole issue of movie finances is an excercise of bending the truth and sometimes out-and-out lying.

The fact is, studios are in the business of making money, and the whole process is carefully calculated to maximize profits. Disney would like people to believe that after all the dust of box, office, merchandising, and home media settles they'll only wind up with a $150 million profit, but that's nonsense. Also, international markets make up a lot more of the percentage than you give them credit for. Studios are currently bending over backwards to cater to the Chinese market, and it's not over a measley 20%.

Also, as far as legs go, Oz is predicted to stay at the number one slot this weekend with nothing terribly noteworthy being released, and while Stephanie Meyer fans will come out of the woodwork to support The Host, I imagine Oz will still hold a strong second that weekend.

Disney's giddy over this right now, because they have the first real success story of the year so far. I doubt they've greenlit anything yet, they'll bide their time for a bit longer, but the fact that it's doing well (which it is acutally doing well, there's no realistic way to deny that) I'm sure means that interest in sequels, theme park attractions, etc. has increased. They've already gotten writers started on a screenplay for a potential, and I'm sure they're asking for concepts from Imagineering as well.

• Minion

ORWEN: I think Tony WAS hinting at an Oz attraction coming to Disneyland. I'm all for this because the land of Oz is such an enduring classic. Even Uncle Walt once considered doing something with Oz at Disneyland--on a small scale, of course. Still, I think Oz deserves to take its place along side Wonderland & Never Land.

• Minion

Tony is doing what Tony does best: stirring the pot. He's retired now and, unfortunately, does not have much direct input.

• Banned User

Also, international markets make up a lot more of the percentage than you give them credit for. Studios are currently bending over backwards to cater to the Chinese market, and it's not over a measley 20%.

Disney's giddy over this right now, because they have the first real success story of the year so far. I doubt they've greenlit anything yet, they'll bide their time for a bit longer, but the fact that it's doing well (which it is acutally doing well, there's no realistic way to deny that) I'm sure means that interest in sequels, theme park attractions, etc. has increased. They've already gotten writers started on a screenplay for a potential, and I'm sure they're asking for concepts from Imagineering as well.

Box office is different from what a studio makes off the film. The studios cut can range from around 50% to 60% domestic, and due to expenses of opening a foreign film, and variances in deal making abroad, 20% is being generous in terms of *profits*.

The following source, How much money does a movie need to make to be profitable?, says 50-55% for domestic, and they add,

"According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release — and after expenses, they're lucky if they take in 15 percent of that number."

Here's another source,

Revenue Flow and Making Money out of Film - Skillset

The share of Box Office paid over to distributors varies between territories. The typical exhibitor's share in the US is 45 to 55% and in the Rest of the World 55 to 65%. The UK has some of the highest retentions by the exhibitor, averaging around 65 to 70%. The balance remitted to the distributor is termed the "Net Theatrical Rentals".

Then take from the 45 to 35% the distributor gets, the cost of opening in a foreign market . . .

20% profit of a $600 million dollar foreign box office is nothing to sneeze at.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast